Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley University Hockey 2016-2017: The (Max) French Revolution

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
    I personally think that the "Snively65 Ice Center" will be a great home for the Bentley Falcons...

I hope that Bentley will have throwback nights and serve awful pizza and fill the place with smoke once per season in the new barn.
    It can then be called the 'Snicker'!
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Got my brother in Lakewood to cover for me at the Saturday game in the Springs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Got my brother in Lakewood to cover for me at the Saturday game in the Springs.
        But can be stand on the glass?
        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
          But can be stand on the glass?
          Dunno.......about Cadet Arena; will ask him.

Comment

Played 54 minutes of solid hockey last night, looked like fools for the other 6. The boys gotta play their hearts out tonight to stay alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
              Played 54 minutes of solid hockey last night, looked like fools for the other 6. The boys gotta play their hearts out tonight to stay alive.
              Bentley killed off almost 2 full minutes of 5-3 late in game, but taking multiple penalties not a good recipe for success tonight.

Comment

Hearing few different stories on the date for the new arena, do we have something a little firmer on when play at the new barn will commence?

Last I heard some ground was being cleared, am I right on that? My best guess is perhaps play-offs however other sources tell me sooner?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                  Hearing few different stories on the date for the new arena, do we have something a little firmer on when play at the new barn will commence?

Last I heard some ground was being cleared, am I right on that? My best guess is perhaps play-offs however other sources tell me sooner?
                  January 2018 has been the date all along, and as recently as two weeks ago, we were told the same by way high up in the admin.

Losing 2-1 in game two at Air Force was an improvement over losing 4-0 in game one, but still a tough way to end the season without a trip to Rochester for the tourney once again, especially for the seniors. Best wishes to them, and thanks for their efforts the past four years. Hoping that some of them can attend a game at the new arena at some point. And, best wishes to graduating students from The Top Shelf; hope that some of them can make it back for games on campus also.
                  Last edited by Snively65; 03-14-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    January 2018 has been the date all along, and as recently as two weeks ago, we were told the same by way high up in the admin.

Losing 2-1 in game two at Air Force was an improvement over losing 4-0 in game one, but still a tough way to end the season without a trip to Rochester for the tourney once again, especially for the seniors. Best wishes to them, and thanks for their efforts the past four years. Hoping that some of them can attend a game at the new arena at some point. And, best wishes to graduating students from The Top Shelf; hope that some of them can make it back for games on campus also.
                    Thanks Snively! Without a doubt we'll be at a few games next year. Especially when the new rink opens, we will hopefully be there in full force!

But yes, a tough end to the season getting swept by Air Force. 4 years for me as a student, and not a single trip to Rochester At least my final game at the JAR as a student was certainly one to remember, a 2OT victory that nearly left me with a heart attack.

There are a ton of positives to take out of this season, however. The future is very bright for the Bentley Falcons. I haven't been around too long, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say this is one of the most talented freshman classes the team has ever had. We had two freshman score over 20 points, Ryner Gorowsky with 23 in 31gms and Jonathan Desbiens with 20 in 36. Ryner was named to the Atlantic Hockey All Rookie Team a few weeks ago, a feat achieved by names like Grieve, Switzer, Jago and Argue. Ryner is a warrior, always hustling and giving 110%. He is decent with the puck and has very good vision on the ice, often slowing down plays and sending passes back when the breakout doesn't look promising. His size is his only downfall, often getting beat along the boards in battles for the puck. Jonathan Desbiens really excelled in the second half of the season, including putting up the only regular season hat-trick for the Falcons against RIT. Jonathan has a sniper of a stick, and is great at finding the back of the net. He is also good along the boards with the puck, often breaking free of defensemen to set up plays in the offensive zone. His skating is a little bit weak and he wasn't quite used to the fast pace of college hockey for most of the season. Yet, I saw a lot of promise in his hustle and presence on the ice in the last few weekends, and I think he's due for a REALLY good season next year. The other two freshman forwards didn't have quite the same point production, which may be a factor of not sharing a line with Max French, but Matt Riggleman put up 12 in 38 games, and his line-mate Jake Kauppila put up 10 in 38. Matt Riggleman may have the best hands of anyone on the team, and is also an excellent skater. His puck skills can sometimes be a hindrance on team performance, however, as he can get a little bit caught up in himself, miss an opportunity for a pass and turn over the puck. Kauppila is a great center and a good physical presence in the offensive zone, but I'd love to see him get in front of the net more to screen and pick up loose rebounds. He seems a little shy on the ice, not holding onto the puck or hustling as much as some other guys. Hopefully the offseason will allow him to reflect and become more of a presence.

On the other side of the puck, we had two standout defensemen who got a lot of playing time and showed a lot of promise for the future. Brett Orr put up 18 points in 37 games, matching the number Tanner Jago put up last year in his freshman season. Orr is very talented on the back-check technically and is great with the puck, also providing great vision on the ice and a level head amongst some of the other more "physical" defensemen. Connor Brassard also saw a good amount of playing time this season, but is not yet as established as Orr. He put up 10 points in 30 games, including 6 goals. He is more of a physical presence than Orr, but is sometimes sloppy with the puck and generates a few too many turnovers. However, his shot is an asset, as he seems to find the back of the net more than your average d-man. He is also pretty good on the back-check, breaking up breakouts effectively and being able to turn the puck away from the other team. I can actually see Orr and Brassard working together really well in the future, as their strengths and weaknesses complement each other nicely. The other defenseman, Tanner Salsberry, saw limited ice time this season, yet performed pretty well in his few appearances (5 pts in 13 gms). I thought he looked better than advertised; competent with the puck, good on the breakout and on the blue line. I think what he is missing is the adjustment to the faster pace of college hockey, as he seemed to be out of position a little too much and not as effective on the back-check. However, I could still see him becoming a regular back there.

In goal, we seem to have found a real gem in Aidan Pelino. His stat line was as follows: 17GP, 2.41 GAA, .930 Sv.%. Not quite as impressive as Argue's freshman year line of 2.00/.934, but still very impressive for a freshman. He is great at moving within the crease and being in the right position. As some say, positioning is the most important part of being an effective goaltender. He's also a little bigger than Argue, filling out more of the net. The team also seems to have formed great chemistry around him, as he always receives big hugs after a period and stick taps after good saves. His rebound control is where he struggles slightly more than Argue. He often drops rebounds right in front of him, which is definitely a bad attribute to have, but usually the rebounds are close enough where he can just jump on them after they fall. (This was the reason we lost the first game to HC at the end of the season, eliminating our chances of a bye... HC broke out 3 on 2 in OT, took a shot from the wing and it hit Pelino right in the chest, but hopped out in front of him. He tried to jump on the puck but a HC player was able to get a stick on it and push it through and into the net.) He has shown flashes of a quick glove, but he sometimes has trouble holding onto the puck once it hits the glove. It should be interesting to see how Soder handles the net situation next year, to see if either Argue or Pelino emerge as the #1, or if they split time most of the season as they did the second half of this season.

Sadly, as another season ends, we say goodbye to some Seniors... Without a doubt the most missed will be Captain Max French, who finished his career 5th in points in Bentley's history and 4th in goals. He was named to the Atlantic Hockey First Team for the second consecutive year last week, posting 39 points in 38 games in his final season (Despite drawing most of the attention from opposing teams). Possibly even more missed than his on ice presence will be his off ice presence. If you've never interacted with Max French, he is one of the nicest human beings on this planet... his leadership will certainly be missed within the team. Also leaving the team will be forwards Tyler Deresky (along with Amy and Ed Deresky ;( ;( ) and Will Suter, who provided a great presence on the fourth line this season. D-Men Charlie Donners and Mike Berry round up the team's departures, who have been successful in the defensive zone over their four years. It's sad to see them go, but other than Max French, the team is not losing any crucial assets to the team, as the other four somewhat struggled in their point production and on ice performance over their careers. This sets us up incredibly well for next season, as the incoming class looks to be quite impressive and can hopefully fill the gaps effectively.

I posted a few of the highlights of the season on the Top Shelf twitter yesterday, which can be found here: https://***********/BentleyTopShelf?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Anyways, another season, another quarterfinals appearance. Still, a lot of positives to take away. The future is bright for Bentley Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                      Thanks Snively! Without a doubt we'll be at a few games next year. Especially when the new rink opens, we will hopefully be there in full force!

But yes, a tough end to the season getting swept by Air Force. 4 years for me as a student, and not a single trip to Rochester At least my final game at the JAR as a student was certainly one to remember, a 2OT victory that nearly left me with a heart attack.

There are a ton of positives to take out of this season, however. The future is very bright for the Bentley Falcons. I haven't been around too long, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say this is one of the most talented freshman classes the team has ever had. We had two freshman score over 20 points, Ryner Gorowsky with 23 in 31gms and Jonathan Desbiens with 20 in 36. Ryner was named to the Atlantic Hockey All Rookie Team a few weeks ago, a feat achieved by names like Grieve, Switzer, Jago and Argue. Ryner is a warrior, always hustling and giving 110%. He is decent with the puck and has very good vision on the ice, often slowing down plays and sending passes back when the breakout doesn't look promising. His size is his only downfall, often getting beat along the boards in battles for the puck. Jonathan Desbiens really excelled in the second half of the season, including putting up the only regular season hat-trick for the Falcons against RIT. Jonathan has a sniper of a stick, and is great at finding the back of the net. He is also good along the boards with the puck, often breaking free of defensemen to set up plays in the offensive zone. His skating is a little bit weak and he wasn't quite used to the fast pace of college hockey for most of the season. Yet, I saw a lot of promise in his hustle and presence on the ice in the last few weekends, and I think he's due for a REALLY good season next year. The other two freshman forwards didn't have quite the same point production, which may be a factor of not sharing a line with Max French, but Matt Riggleman put up 12 in 38 games, and his line-mate Jake Kauppila put up 10 in 38. Matt Riggleman may have the best hands of anyone on the team, and is also an excellent skater. His puck skills can sometimes be a hindrance on team performance, however, as he can get a little bit caught up in himself, miss an opportunity for a pass and turn over the puck. Kauppila is a great center and a good physical presence in the offensive zone, but I'd love to see him get in front of the net more to screen and pick up loose rebounds. He seems a little shy on the ice, not holding onto the puck or hustling as much as some other guys. Hopefully the offseason will allow him to reflect and become more of a presence.

On the other side of the puck, we had two standout defensemen who got a lot of playing time and showed a lot of promise for the future. Brett Orr put up 18 points in 37 games, matching the number Tanner Jago put up last year in his freshman season. Orr is very talented on the back-check technically and is great with the puck, also providing great vision on the ice and a level head amongst some of the other more "physical" defensemen. Connor Brassard also saw a good amount of playing time this season, but is not yet as established as Orr. He put up 10 points in 30 games, including 6 goals. He is more of a physical presence than Orr, but is sometimes sloppy with the puck and generates a few too many turnovers. However, his shot is an asset, as he seems to find the back of the net more than your average d-man. He is also pretty good on the back-check, breaking up breakouts effectively and being able to turn the puck away from the other team. I can actually see Orr and Brassard working together really well in the future, as their strengths and weaknesses complement each other nicely. The other defenseman, Tanner Salsberry, saw limited ice time this season, yet performed pretty well in his few appearances (5 pts in 13 gms). I thought he looked better than advertised; competent with the puck, good on the breakout and on the blue line. I think what he is missing is the adjustment to the faster pace of college hockey, as he seemed to be out of position a little too much and not as effective on the back-check. However, I could still see him becoming a regular back there.

In goal, we seem to have found a real gem in Aidan Pelino. His stat line was as follows: 17GP, 2.41 GAA, .930 Sv.%. Not quite as impressive as Argue's freshman year line of 2.00/.934, but still very impressive for a freshman. He is great at moving within the crease and being in the right position. As some say, positioning is the most important part of being an effective goaltender. He's also a little bigger than Argue, filling out more of the net. The team also seems to have formed great chemistry around him, as he always receives big hugs after a period and stick taps after good saves. His rebound control is where he struggles slightly more than Argue. He often drops rebounds right in front of him, which is definitely a bad attribute to have, but usually the rebounds are close enough where he can just jump on them after they fall. (This was the reason we lost the first game to HC at the end of the season, eliminating our chances of a bye... HC broke out 3 on 2 in OT, took a shot from the wing and it hit Pelino right in the chest, but hopped out in front of him. He tried to jump on the puck but a HC player was able to get a stick on it and push it through and into the net.) He has shown flashes of a quick glove, but he sometimes has trouble holding onto the puck once it hits the glove. It should be interesting to see how Soder handles the net situation next year, to see if either Argue or Pelino emerge as the #1, or if they split time most of the season as they did the second half of this season.

Sadly, as another season ends, we say goodbye to some Seniors... Without a doubt the most missed will be Captain Max French, who finished his career 5th in points in Bentley's history and 4th in goals. He was named to the Atlantic Hockey First Team for the second consecutive year last week, posting 39 points in 38 games in his final season (Despite drawing most of the attention from opposing teams). Possibly even more missed than his on ice presence will be his off ice presence. If you've never interacted with Max French, he is one of the nicest human beings on this planet... his leadership will certainly be missed within the team. Also leaving the team will be forwards Tyler Deresky (along with Amy and Ed Deresky ;( ;( ) and Will Suter, who provided a great presence on the fourth line this season. D-Men Charlie Donners and Mike Berry round up the team's departures, who have been successful in the defensive zone over their four years. It's sad to see them go, but other than Max French, the team is not losing any crucial assets to the team, as the other four somewhat struggled in their point production and on ice performance over their careers. This sets us up incredibly well for next season, as the incoming class looks to be quite impressive and can hopefully fill the gaps effectively.

I posted a few of the highlights of the season on the Top Shelf twitter yesterday, which can be found here: https://***********/BentleyTopShelf?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Anyways, another season, another quarterfinals appearance. Still, a lot of positives to take away. The future is bright for Bentley Hockey.
                      French is going to be missed a lot next season. That's easy to say as he's a top 3 player in the program's history, but they don't really have a guy to fill his shoes. He was the top line center the last two years, first guy out on the PP and saw a lot of time on the PK. Gorowsky, Desbiens and Schmidt are all wingers.

That being said, the freshmen class gained a lot of experience and sophomores like Jago, Solovyev and Callin will continue to get better. The incoming class looks pretty strong, so they can certainly make a deeper playoff run next year.

Comment

Looking at the final standings for this season (Play-offs omitted...lol) it is going to be extremely difficult to predict which team will end up in what position next year. Unlike previous seasons this one has been a real dog fight, with some teams predicted higher that never reached their lofty potential whereas others predicted lower reaching the highest levels.

I'm sure we'll soon start a thread to discuss outgoing seniors, incoming freshmen, and the exciting task of predicting next years final season rankings.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamBomb View Post
                          French is going to be missed a lot next season. That's easy to say as he's a top 3 player in the program's history, but they don't really have a guy to fill his shoes. He was the top line center the last two years, first guy out on the PP and saw a lot of time on the PK. Gorowsky, Desbiens and Schmidt are all wingers.

That being said, the freshmen class gained a lot of experience and sophomores like Jago, Solovyev and Callin will continue to get better. The incoming class looks pretty strong, so they can certainly make a deeper playoff run next year.
                          The guy that is supposed to "replace" him would be Brett Mennear, a right handed center from the BCHL. He actually played a bunch of years on the same junior team as French, the West Kelowna Warriors. Mennear put up 79 points in 58 games this year with the Prince George Spruce Kings.

Comment

Excellent posts, all. I agree that French will be a huge loss, but the Falcons are going to have awesome depth in all three areas of forward lines, the blue line, and in net next season. I think that the key will be taking fewer penalties next season; no need to be tied for second with greatest number of SHGs in the nation.

Comment

First game I've seen for 17-18, @ UML Nov 28th

BTW, time for a new thread?
                              Bentley University Hockey
                              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

• Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                                First game I've seen for 17-18, @ UML Nov 28th

BTW, time for a new thread?
                                Sounds like you are volunteering to start a new thread, schiegs. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X