Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    Prayers to all families involved.
    Miraculously, everyone is going to be ok.
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Exactly. Coaches talk to recruiters. They give a very honest and frank assessment of their kid. They give their kids their impression of their opportunities. It would do a USHL coach no good to get the reputation of trying to steer players to their alma mater or to their buddy's team. As soon as you do that, your integrity is compromised both with players and recruiters.
      I'm sure some junior teams have better relationships with some college programs versus others but i'd like to think overall they remain pretty neutral.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
        Their job isn't to steer kids to MTU. Goes to show even with the recent success of the program, it's still an uphill battle when it comes to recruiting. Personally I don't care where they get players from, as long as they can play.
        Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Exactly. Coaches talk to recruiters. They give a very honest and frank assessment of their kid. They give their kids their impression of their opportunities. It would do a USHL coach no good to get the reputation of trying to steer players to their alma mater or to their buddy's team. As soon as you do that, your integrity is compromised both with players and recruiters.
        I'm sure some junior teams have better relationships with some college programs versus others but i'd like to think overall they remain pretty neutral.
        The point is that we now have 3 positions with Tech friendly coaches and we're still struggling to get players after they get to those places. I'm sure previous coaches semi-actively steered players away from MTU because of the "wasteland" it had become. Now we have 3 advocates that can speak to the atmosphere, changes and everything and we still can't get much traction.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Miraculously, everyone is going to be ok.
          whew! it sounded bad.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            The point is that we now have 3 positions with Tech friendly coaches and we're still struggling to get players after they get to those places. I'm sure previous coaches semi-actively steered players away from MTU because of the "wasteland" it had become. Now we have 3 advocates that can speak to the atmosphere, changes and everything and we still can't get much traction.
            I think you need to take into account that only Pat has been there for 3 yrs others less. Which means college coaches have their hooks into their players before they had time.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              I think you need to take into account that only Pat has been there for 3 yrs others less. Which means college coaches have their hooks into their players before they had time.
              Oh, I understand that we shouldn't have really any expectation from Youngstown...and to some extent, probably never will since a lot of the players there tend to come from the east, not the midwest.

I know Billy has tried but yes, most if not all of his players (including affiliates) at Tri-City were already committed.

I'm just hoping that we see more in the future if these guys stay with their teams and succeed.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Tech has a new commitment. Drafted by Des Moines in the USHL this year. Going back to Delano for his senior year.

https://twitter.com/TigerHockeyAlum/...21606323044352

—Brett Hull

Comment

Tech has a new commitment. Drafted by Des Moines in the USHL this year. Going back to Delano for his senior year.

https://twitter.com/TigerHockeyAlum/...21606323044352
                  3rd leading scorer last year for Delano behind 2 other juniors...looks like there are lots of other yooper connections on the team:

Ray Heikkila, John Keranen, Kyle Ylitalo, Ross Oja, Ben Kivisto and more Halonens...

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    3rd leading scorer last year for Delano behind 2 other juniors...looks like there are lots of other yooper connections on the team:

Ray Heikkila, John Keranen, Kyle Ylitalo, Ross Oja, Ben Kivisto and more Halonens...
                    Mom's a Pietila...related to the rest somehow

Comment

You know Katie Ledecky, the olympic swimmer was interviewed before the olympics and was asked why she was so good. She said.." I put in the work" which she does. But she does more than that. Everyone puts in the work, she puts in more than the work, a lot more. Same can be said of hockey players. Everybody is working hard, only some are putting in more than others.
                      I hope our guys are doing that.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        You know Katie Ledecky, the olympic swimmer was interviewed before the olympics and was asked why she was so good. She said.." I put in the work" which she does. But she does more than that. Everyone puts in the work, she puts in more than the work, a lot more. Same can be said of hockey players. Everybody is working hard, only some are putting in more than others.
                        I hope our guys are doing that.
                        While putting in the work is extremely important, when you're at that level, it is much more than work. It is an innate ability to physically perform in whatever event/sport you're participating in. You get to be the best when you have that very special ability, and combine it with great work ethic.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/...g-amazing-kids
                          also at the end you can read an excerpt from the book and the comments are particularly interesting.
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 08-19-2016, 09:29 AM.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Lots of depth this year on the team.
                            How does this look to try to win the Cup ourselves.
                            I think there will be a lot of shuffling in and out of the lineup especially at home with possibly 4 players in and out on a regular basis.
                            I am rooting for Blacklock and Anderson to get regular time, but with the quality of the recruiting class, it will be a battle for playing time.

Heinonen Steman L'Esperance
                            Baltus Lucchini Gillies
                            Jackson Beretta Gerrie
                            Gould Neville Sturos

Anderson Smith Pederson
                            Blacklock Brice

Watson Roy
                            Auk Hanna
                            Leibinger Birks
                            Ford Reinke

Kero
                            Wintjes
                            Raymond

Comment

That D core is going to be a tough lineup to crack, but we knew that already.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                                Lots of depth this year on the team.
                                How does this look to try to win the Cup ourselves.
                                I think there will be a lot of shuffling in and out of the lineup especially at home with possibly 4 players in and out on a regular basis.
                                I am rooting for Blacklock and Anderson to get regular time, but with the quality of the recruiting class, it will be a battle for playing time.
                                I think Ferris and Tech are the 2 front runners for winning the regular season title. I would pick Tech if I had to pick between the 2 right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X