Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Originally posted by Revs89 View Post
    You can watch the game here via twitter. Glad to see Harvard make the trip out to play us. Hope the team and staff enjoy the trip.
    My apologies to all. Looks like Saturday is the game that will be shown via twitter, not tonight. Looks like tonight is P12 Network only.

Comment

My apologies to all. Looks like Saturday is the game that will be shown via twitter, not tonight. Looks like tonight is P12 Network only.
      Amazingly, I have thus far largely avoided the whole Twitter phenomenon. I've recovered my old log in, however, just now. Do I "follow" @SunDevilHockey or something, and they'll tweet a link near game time? Or is it a whole different process to watch a game "via Twitter". Dragged into 21st century. Thanks!

Edit: OK, I think I've got it.

Pinned Tweet
      Sun Devil Hockey ‏@SunDevilHockey Oct 26

In case you haven't heard @NCAAIceHockey fans, our match-up with Harvard on Saturday will be LIVE on TWITTER! -
      Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 10-28-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Lots of competition on D. No Olsen or Newell tonight vs ASU.

Comment

The 7-0 score pretty much speaks to last night's game.

A couple of notes:
          - Harvard definitely has 2 #1 lines this year as the top 2 lines are neck and neck.
          - As I have stated before, Adam Fox and John Marino have poise that Harvard has not seen (especially Fox)
          - The 3rd line D pairing (Anderson and Dumbrovsky) is a bit worrisome. Not a lot of composure with the puck and I see teams forechecking the heck out of that pairing if it continues
          - Interesting to see who Harvard mixes in tonight, depending who else made the trip - surprised that Newell didn't play. Might we see Newell and Olsen tonight?
          - Madsen was not tested much, but was real solid and poised
          - Tonight's game is at a 800 person capacity rink. Should be intimate
          - Kerfoot needs to shoot more
          - Donato and Moy are special and Harvard needs both of them to have big years

Comment

Great to have young talented D
            Marino will be a far superior player than Fox, not even close. Sounds dramatic but Marino has upside still at this age
            Both are elite but Marino is next level up

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Great to have young talented D
              Marino will be a far superior player than Fox, not even close. Sounds dramatic but Marino has upside still at this age
              Both are elite but Marino is next level up
              I trust your judgment. I have seen each of them play once (last night), and just felt that Fox was slightly more poised and creative offensively. Not a lot of defensive prowess that needed to be shown given the competition last night, but that may be where Marino shines.

You are right. Having young, talented, and especially, mobile, puck-moving D is incredibly valuable. Vesey's speed was very much neutralized last year because the D could not hit him in stride on the rush and thus he had to come way back to get the puck.

I like this team more than last year's. Lots of hockey to play, but more balance, much more to offer on the blue line - it will be interesting to see how this team handles adversity (through injury or when someone hits them in the mouth). There is great depth though, both at D and F.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                I trust your judgment. I have seen each of them play once (last night), and just felt that Fox was slightly more poised and creative offensively. Not a lot of defensive prowess that needed to be shown given the competition last night, but that may be where Marino shines.

You are right. Having young, talented, and especially, mobile, puck-moving D is incredibly valuable. Vesey's speed was very much neutralized last year because the D could not hit him in stride on the rush and thus he had to come way back to get the puck.

I like this team more than last year's. Lots of hockey to play, but more balance, much more to offer on the blue line - it will be interesting to see how this team handles adversity (through injury or when someone hits them in the mouth). There is great depth though, both at D and F.
                Marino has tremendous offensive talents
                Remember, he was d partners and played with Noah Hanifin for years and I always felt Marino was the unsung hidden gem on that team

I like Fox as well but Marino will be a star in the league

Comment

The 7-0 score pretty much speaks to last night's game.

A couple of notes:
                  - Harvard definitely has 2 #1 lines this year as the top 2 lines are neck and neck.
                  - As I have stated before, Adam Fox and John Marino have poise that Harvard has not seen (especially Fox)
                  - The 3rd line D pairing (Anderson and Dumbrovsky) is a bit worrisome. Not a lot of composure with the puck and I see teams forechecking the heck out of that pairing if it continues
                  - Interesting to see who Harvard mixes in tonight, depending who else made the trip - surprised that Newell didn't play. Might we see Newell and Olsen tonight?
                  - Madsen was not tested much, but was real solid and poised
                  - Tonight's game is at a 800 person capacity rink. Should be intimate
                  - Kerfoot needs to shoot more
                  - Donato and Moy are special and Harvard needs both of them to have big years
                  Power play not too shabby either - I think they were 2 for 4 with the man advantage.

Alexander will never be a shooter per se - he is too used to setting up his wingers (I mean wouldn't you if you had Vesey on the left flank? ). But I agree, I'd like him to shoot. He's got a nice wrister.

These games against ASU seem to be nothing more than glorified exhibition games. Hope the men's hoop team doesn't have to face ASU this season because payback is a, well, you know...

Surprised that Jake Olsen and Vic Newell aren't playing either. I like Olsen's game. Teddy might switch up that third pairing with Olsen - Newell next week or perhaps tonight. I don't see them sitting for long.

Can't wait for next weekend's games.

Comment

No big line-up changes in game #2, except that Olson played for Baughmann. All other line combos remained unchanged.

Some take son game#2:
                    - Thought Harvard started this game better (much better period #1), but their concentration and focus seemed to ebb and flow in the latter part of the game. This is natural given the competition and looks to be a recurring trend for all teams that have played ASU thus far.
                    - Loved watching the game in a rink that seated 800 people. Felt like a high school barn
                    - Too much fancy stuff from Donato. He needs to settle down. Too many turnovers
                    - Dumbrovsky and Anderson continues to be a tough pairing. Dumbrovsky tries to shoot the puck when there is no lane and the rebound leads to the opponent going the other way at speed. Anderson with too many turnovers
                    - Sherman a bit indecisive. Do I pinch? Do I hang back? He can be such a dominant player if/when he puts it together, but he seems like a guy who is still trying to figure out how to best use his assortment of physical tools
                    - Really like Harvard's top 3 lines, though Belton-Pyce was a bit quiet. I know the 4th line is comprised of 2 seniors and 1 frosh, but I imagine that playing time on that line will be earned in practice on a week in, week out basis. To that end, I'd like to see the same to be true for the 3rd D pairing

Tough to take too much from these games given the skill level and speed difference, but the D is markedly better with Marino and Fox. Really looking forward to Colgate and Cornell next weekend. I would think 3 points at a minimum and 4 points should be the expectation going in.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

No big line-up changes in game #2, except that Olson played for Baughmann. All other line combos remained unchanged.

Some take son game#2:
                      - Thought Harvard started this game better (much better period #1), but their concentration and focus seemed to ebb and flow in the latter part of the game. This is natural given the competition and looks to be a recurring trend for all teams that have played ASU thus far.
                      - Loved watching the game in a rink that seated 800 people. Felt like a high school barn
                      - Dumbrovsky and Anderson continues to be a tough pairing. Dumbrovsky tries to shoot the puck when there is no lane and the rebound leads to the opponent going the other way at speed. Anderson with too many turnovers
                      - Sherman a bit indecisive. Do I pinch? Do I hang back? He can be such a dominant player if/when he puts it together, but he seems like a guy who is still trying to figure out how to best use his assortment of physical tools
                      - Really like Harvard's top 3 lines, though Belton-Pyce was a bit quiet. I know the 4th line is comprised of 2 seniors and 1 frosh, but I imagine that playing time on that line will be earned in practice on a week in, week out basis. To that end, I'd like to see the same to be true for the 3rd D pairing

Tough to take too much from these games given the skill level and speed difference, but the D is markedly better with Marino and Fox. Really looking forward to Colgate and Cornell next weekend. I would think 3 points at a minimum and 4 points should be the expectation going in.
                      It was great having you guys out. I thought we might hang a bit better, but you all have a nice squad. Best of luck to you and hope to have you out again. Maybe next time it will be in a new arena if we can get those details figured out. But glad Oceanside wasn't a bad experience for you.

Comment

Some take son game#2:

Um, isn't it Pelton-Byce?

Agree with your assessment. Geez, that Malone-Espo-Moy combo reminds you of Laney, Bourbeau, CJ Young. Cripes, they are good.

Anderson frankly scares me every time he takes the ice. Talk about a player who has regressed the past two years. Seniors should not get ice time because they are seniors. Unless Newell is hurt, I'd like to see Vic out there instead of Anderson.

Are we going to see Lackey this season? Madsen can't play every game. Need to give him a break now and then.

Comment

It was great having you guys out. I thought we might hang a bit better, but you all have a nice squad. Best of luck to you and hope to have you out again. Maybe next time it will be in a new arena if we can get those details figured out. But glad Oceanside wasn't a bad experience for you.
                          Thanks! But maybe you guys should come out and visit Bright-Landry in oh, January maybe?? I mean it isn't pool weather out here during that month but you'll be able to see your breath. And live to tell about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                            Thanks! But maybe you guys should come out and visit Bright-Landry in oh, January maybe?? I mean it isn't pool weather out here during that month but you'll be able to see your breath. And live to tell about it.
                            I would love to make the trip. Heck, these guys head back that way a few times this year with trips to Northeastern, BC and UMass. I never did hear if this was a home-and-home series? Cheers to you all and best of luck this season! You are a classy bunch.

Comment

Saturday's Cornell game has sold Bright-Landry down to standing room only, and I'm sure the visitors' band at least will be there. It will be a sea of Big Red now doubt, but at least the house will be rocking!

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                                Saturday's Cornell game has sold Bright-Landry down to standing room only, and I'm sure the visitors' band at least will be there. It will be a sea of Big Red now doubt, but at least the house will be rocking!
                                Game is on ESPN3 which is available on the WATCHESPN app. I'm going tomorrow night.

Comment

Working...
                                X