Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Some leftover thoughts from last night's game.

1. Teddy's comments in the Boston Globe this morning indicated that he felt the team simply wasn't prepared for the grind of a playoff series having had a week off. He also took a partial shot at himself for not doing a better coaching job. Most of what he said I've already alluded to in a prior post. His comments toward the end of the article were a bit strange in that he expressed concern about the team getting back to playing its game. Maybe the writer took the comments out of context but a coach can't be openly worrying about his team's ability to focus and play its game at this stage of the season

2. Good crowd last night - for once it seemed like there were more Harvard fans than opposition fans. The band showed up which was nice. Hope they come tonight. Makes for a better atmosphere.

3. Clarkson beating Cornell was a surprise but it looks like the other teams will prevail going forward. Casey Jones is a former Cornell player so I imagine it would give him extra pleasure in beating his alma mater. I think that series will go three.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      All good news. If Reilly Walsh is coming, we will be strong and deep next year. I'm just concerned about where the goals are going to come from given the graduation losses. We'll figure it out.
      Basically Clay Anderson out and Reilly Walsh in...assuming no one leaves early.

Harvard will have to win many more 2-1 and 3-2 games next year and the D will have to be more active....Offense down but bringing in Jack Badini (4th leading goal scorer in the USHL) as well as some other older frosh who should be ready to step in and contribute more readily.

Comment

WRT the NCAA Fargo watch. Western Michigan lost, and based on RPI seems to be perhaps one more loss away from dropping out of the top 4 of #1 seeds. North Dakota won, and thus is still hovering just above the bottom 4 of #4 seeds. Selfish interest, as I'd really like to be able to see the Crimson in Manchester or Providence. Fargo as I understand it is over 1000 miles away, quite remote, and long sold out.

Correction - Western Michigan has slipped. Minnesota win.
        Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Basically Clay Anderson out and Reilly Walsh in...assuming no one leaves early.

Harvard will have to win many more 2-1 and 3-2 games next year and the D will have to be more active....Offense down but bringing in Jack Badini (4th leading goal scorer in the USHL) as well as some other older frosh who should be ready to step in and contribute more readily.
          I'm wondering if Wiley Sherman jumps ship after this season. The Bruins are in full rebuild mode and are looking to McAvoy to be their next stud D. Sherman is a left shot D which Boston needs badly as Chara is basically done. Wouldn't surprise me if Sweeney took a run at Wiley at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
            WRT the NCAA Fargo watch. Western Michigan lost, and based on RPI seems to be perhaps one more loss away from dropping out of the top 4 of #1 seeds. North Dakota won, and thus is still hovering just above the bottom 4 of #4 seeds. Selfish interest, as I'd really like to be able to see the Crimson in Manchester or Providence. Fargo as I understand it is over 1000 miles away, quite remote, and long sold out.

Correction - Western Michigan has slipped. Minnesota win.
            Fargo is 1624 miles from Boston. I would drive to Manchester, I would drive to Providence but no way in hell would I drive to Fargo!

Comment

Call this the "third period" series. In each game, Harvard finally showed up in the final frame and took control. For the most part. It got dicey towards the end tonight with two consecutive minor penalties to kill off in the final seven minutes. But we did the job on the PK and wrapped up the series. Thankfully we can say goodbye to Yale for the final time this year. Enough all ready.

Once again, the seniors stood tall and won it for us. Luke Esposito was a monster in the two games. He made a great play to steal the puck near the Yale blue line and ward off the Yale D slipping the puck to an uncovered Tyler Moy who wristed it past Tucker to tie it in the third. Then six seconds after a power play started, once again Yale left a Harvard forward uncovered next to Tucker with Zerter Gossage doing the honors jamming the puck past the sprawling goalie.

The same problems we had last night showed up again tonight. I really think the team was looking ahead to the NCAAs and wasn't focused at all on this series. Their lackadaisical play at times along with poor puck management and a ton of shots that completely missed the net almost did them in. We were too individualistic and didn't run set plays often enough except on the power play. Fortunately, they had enough to move on.

Still have to wait for results from tomorrow. We won't be playing Princeton which may or may not be a good thing. Wish they could have taken Union to three games. I'm thinking the Bobcats and Clarkson will be joining Harvard and Union at Lake Placid next weekend.

Warm up the bus! Or warm up something because man it was cold out there tonight waiting to get out of the parking lot.

Comment

I knew a Yale series would be exciting, but oh my. Lake Placid is the place to be.

Western Michigan is unfortunately back in the top 4 overnight. However, North Dakota won again to take them up to #10 PWR, perhaps safely out of the bottom 4. And just as I was thinking they could lose at most one game before NCAA bracketing, I remembered the NCHC 3rd place game!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Crimson on the Glass;6462566]I knew a Yale series would be exciting, but oh my. Lake Placid is the place to be.

No worry over getting past Quinnipa-what, Qunnipa-who - - will not get past SLU....a Crimson year in the making, rolling over Quinnipiac in the process.

Comment

• [QUOTE=SnowDogFlyer;6462630]
                    I knew a Yale series would be exciting, but oh my. Lake Placid is the place to be.

No worry over getting past Quinnipa-what, Qunnipa-who - - will not get past SLU....a Crimson year in the making, rolling over Quinnipiac in the process.
                    ok, few good hits by SLU and the baby quinnipa-where boys are mad.....crimosn matches up much better with quinnipac-ac and should be a sweep of connecticut teams....yale and ac-ac can cry all summer....a crimson year in the make.

Comment

This website's Schedule is showing the Union-Cornell game as the late game Friday. So I am assuming Harvard vs. Q will be the early game. Let's go Crimson.

Updated now, Crimson-Bobcats at 4:05p. Harvard will of course play at the usual time 7:30p or so on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Western Michigan is tied 1-1, now in overtime. And won. So now 3 NCHC teams are entrenched with Harvard as #1 seeds. Please root for North Dakota, to stay a #3. Keep the Crimson East!
                      Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-12-2017, 09:01 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=SnowDogFlyer;6463010]
                        Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post

ok, few good hits by SLU and the baby quinnipa-where boys are mad.....crimosn matches up much better with quinnipac-ac and should be a sweep of connecticut teams....yale and ac-ac can cry all summer....a crimson year in the make.
                        Not sure about that goalie newb.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

This website's Schedule is showing the Union-Cornell game as the late game Friday. So I am assuming Harvard vs. Q will be the early game. Let's go Crimson.

Updated now, Crimson-Bobcats at 4:05p. Harvard will of course play at the usual time 7:30p or so on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Western Michigan is tied 1-1, now in overtime. And won. So now 3 NCHC teams are entrenched with Harvard as #1 seeds. Please root for North Dakota, to stay a #3. Keep the Crimson East!
                          As the #1 seed, we get the early game.

Rematch of last season's championship game so we have some payback to dish out. The Bobcats play us tough but I think the series with Yale was a good starting point for this weekend. Hopefully we'll be ready to play from the get-go.

Union-Cornell should be a barn burner. Anyone know if the games will be televised?

Comment

Anyone know if the games will be televised?
                            That's an important question - I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make the drive.

My research (reading the ECAC fan guide) indicates that:
                            All ECAC Hockey tournament games will be available for viewing by a global audience and be aired through www.ecachockey.com through the technology of BoxCast.
                            TSN GO will also feature the the championship game.
                            ECAC Hockey has partnered with American Sports Network (ASN) and TSN2 to televise the 2017 semifinals and championship game March 17-18 at the 1980 Rink.

There is a link to local broadcasts of ASN, but none of them seem anywhere near Allston / Cambridge, except for NESN Plus. Not sure if I actually have that.

http://ecachockey.com/men/championsh...0101_Fan_Guide
                            Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

As the #1 seed, we get the early game.

Rematch of last season's championship game so we have some payback to dish out. The Bobcats play us tough but I think the series with Yale was a good starting point for this weekend. Hopefully we'll be ready to play from the get-go.

Union-Cornell should be a barn burner. Anyone know if the games will be televised?
                              SNY, Nesn Plus, TSN Go
                              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                              https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

That's an important question - I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make the drive.

My research (reading the ECAC fan guide) indicates that:
                                All ECAC Hockey tournament games will be available for viewing by a global audience and be aired through www.ecachockey.com through the technology of BoxCast.
                                TSN GO will also feature the the championship game.
                                ECAC Hockey has partnered with American Sports Network (ASN) and TSN2 to televise the 2017 semifinals and championship game March 17-18 at the 1980 Rink.

There is a link to local broadcasts of ASN, but none of them seem anywhere near Allston / Cambridge, except for NESN Plus. Not sure if I actually have that.

http://ecachockey.com/men/championsh...0101_Fan_Guide
                                Any sports bar in Massachusetts worth going to should have NESNplus
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X