• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

just win baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      There's a lot of talk naturally about Pairwise and I'm wondering if BC's freefall is going to cost us in terms of Pairwise and seeding for the NCAAs. If BC doesn't make the tournament (and there is a realistic chance they won't make it), how does this impact Harvard if at all? Never thought I would ask that question in my lifetime.
      While the Crimson PWR is of course supported by those of others like BU, Cornell and Union, any damage done by the BC slide is already in effect now. If may even be what has held them down to the current #3 RPI ceiling. While it may only take 2 (or to the wrong team 1) losses for Harvard to slip out of the top 4, their PWR fortunes are really their own. If they win the games they are supposed to, and play to the Saturday final in Lake Placid, they'll likely remain tops in the East and a top 4 overall.
      Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Cleary Cup Champions!

Best case scenario, we won and Cornell didn't and we still got the #1 seed! I guess we decided not to worry about empty-net scenarios.
        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          Cleary Cup Champions!

Best case scenario, we won and Cornell didn't and we still got the #1 seed! I guess we decided not to worry about empty-net scenarios.
          Yeah I didn't realize that a tie between Union and Cornell mean't that we finish with the #1 seed. You should have seen all the people at the game checking their smartphones for score updates. Intense!

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Yeah I didn't realize that a tie between Union and Cornell mean't that we finish with the #1 seed. You should have seen all the people at the game checking their smartphones for score updates. Intense!
            Yes, I was hoping we'd get word on the Cleary and top seed (Union tie) while the seniors and their families were out there. What an amazing first period, and not a bad game either! We are beginning to expect the empty netter, just in front of our seats. We feel like Fox and Donato specifically seek it. So two weeks on and we host the lowest surviving of 8-12, I believe. Tickets should be on sale Monday or so.
            Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 02-25-2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

For two periods tonight, we were unstoppable. At one point in the first period, the shots were 17-1. That's not a typo. We were so dominant that I thought SLU was going to wave the white flag and get an early start home to Canton. Hayton was under siege and really couldn't be faulted on Krushko or Kerfoot's goals. Horton, maybe. Poor kid was pulled after Ryan Donato made it 4-0 on a turnaround backhand shot on the PP after two Crimson forwards had whacks at the puck in front. SLU's D was nowhere to be seen for the first two periods.

Then came the third and almost a complete meltdown. You could see from the start of the period that the team had checked out mentally and physically. Madsen fell asleep on the last two SLU goals and had it not been for a late SLU penalty for too many men, well, I started having visions of the BU collapse last year. Sometimes I think Harvard gets bored with a big lead. It didn't happen last week against Brown but against a good team like the Saints, the Crimson simply can't play this way. Good news is that Teddy now has some ammo to use during the break to get the team refocused.

The game was chippy and at times physical. Sweetam from SLU absolutely cold cocked Victor Dumbrovsky with an elbow to the head - how he wasn't thrown out of the game was beyond me (a two minute penalty - what a joke). And at the end of the game, Ryan Donato got into it with an SLU player and got tossed for a five minute major with 8 seconds left. I don't think it will cost him a game as he wasn't asked to leave the bench but he has got to learn to keep his cool. Teams are targeting him and I think they know they can get under his skin.

Senior Night was great with the families honoring the players. As the ceremony finished up, word came down from Ithaca that Union and Cornell had tied so we had an additional celebration with the Cleary Cup. Great way to end what almost turned out to be a disaster of a finish.

Let the playoffs begin.

Comment

The quest for 5.....2 more to go!

Comment

Congrats, guys. Hopefully we get a 3rd crack at you guys in a few weeks, though I don't know that the script will change.

Comment

A lot can happen depending on where you go and who you play but this has to be the year harvard wins a tourney game. And really, should be a FF team.

Comment

I agree. H has had some nice talent the past few years and I thought they would be more in the mix a year ago. But something was missing. This year's team seems to have that something extra... killer instinct. I thought maybe it was going to be the same old, same old when they had 3 consecutive losses in January (one of them being a 8-4 drubbing by Dartmouth), but H responded well and is back on track. If they keep their heads on straight and stay focused they could do some damage.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        I agree. H has had some nice talent the past few years and I thought they would be more in the mix a year ago. But something was missing. This year's team seems to have that something extra... killer instinct. I thought maybe it was going to be the same old, same old when they had 3 consecutive losses in January (one of them being a 8-4 drubbing by Dartmouth), but H responded well and is back on track. If they keep their heads on straight and stay focused they could do some damage.
                        I think the team felt that hiccup was actually a good thing in that it got them refocused. The same way some of last night's game will prove to be a valuable teaching moment for the coaching staff during this break.

Comment

Some leftover thoughts from last night's game.

1. Surprised that SLU came out physical and chippy at times. I've never really known the Saints to be that kind of team. Did the coaching change have something to do with it?

2. If you are a Crimson supporter, you have to be thrilled with the play of the third and fourth lines. Floodstrand was buzzing all over the ice this weekend and Horton's speed wore down the Knights and the Saints. That third line is really jelling at just the right time. This can only help the first two lines as we head into March.

3. Harvard's D structure was great to watch this weekend. Last night, especially in the first period, they took away so much ice that SLU had no where to skate and was forced to dump and chase. We pinched effectively in the neutral zone taking away the middle of the ice and turning around to head back into SLU's zone. Impressive to watch.

4. Not to go to far into the future but I'm wondering if Paul Pearl will be back next season. Someone, somewhere has to offer him a position based on the work he has done with our program. Of course I want him to stay but he deserves a chance to run his own program.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            I think the big difference between this year and last year's team is Fox and Marino. Both can move the puck quickly to start the breakout and that was missing last year. Fox is an offensive machine and his hockey instincts are off the charts. When the D push the pace, we are close to unstoppable.

Comment

Paul pearl should absolutely be a HC somewhere...if he wants to be.

Comment

Paul Pearl was a head coach for 19 years, and as far as I know, wasn't forced out. If he wants to be one, why did he leave?
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X