Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by agarcia View Post
    That three-game slide in mid January is looming large now. Harvard should've taken care of business against RPI and probably should've beat Dartmouth too. If they had just won one of those games they'd be in the driver's seat for the Cleary Cup. It's funny how those games that got away always seem to haunt teams at the end.
    Yes, but I like Harvard to beat Union 9 games out of 10. Union this year reminds me of Harvard last year. A little too one dimensional and need more depth/better D.

I would rather win the ECAC tourney then the Cleary Cup.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Yes of course. And just to clarify, as I understand it the Cleary is simply shared in the event of a points tie. Tie breaking only applies to the tournament seeding.

Naturally, what I want most is for the Crimson to stay focused and on their game right through their last period in late March or April. I personally don't think that they necessarily have to let down and endure a motivating ECAC upset loss or two at Bright or Brooks along the way, but they do seem to have a little breathing room given their current position, if that's what has to happen.

A strong ECAC performance does definitely keep them in New England, though., which is huge for my family of fans.
      Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 02-20-2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Well I'd rather win the Cleary Cup AND the ECAC Tourney than just the ECAC Tourney
        GO BIG RED!

Comment

• Originally posted by agarcia View Post
          Well I'd rather win the Cleary Cup AND the ECAC Tourney than just the ECAC Tourney
          Touché

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Can't believe we have to root for Cornell to beat Union. Ugh. Not counting on Colgate to do anything even in their home building. Let's hope we sweep next weekend and get some help. I want to avoid Yale in the quarters if at all possible.

Not to look ahead too much but I'd rather not face Cornell in the semis at Lake Placid. Let them duke it out with Union.
            We can only cheer for Harvard to sweep and let the chips fall where they may. If we don't sweep, we may very well be cheering for Union to stop Cornell from passing us.
            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
              We can only cheer for Harvard to sweep and let the chips fall where they may. If we don't sweep, we may very well be cheering for Union to stop Cornell from passing us.
              True but we need help if we're going to win the Cleary Cup outright. I want to avoid certain matchups before Lake Placid and at least in the semis of Lake Placid if at all possible.

I think if we win the Cleary Cup and get to the semis of the ECACs, we are a lock for Manchester or Providence as a #1 or #2 seed. If we win both, we're a #1 in either locale. If we fail to win both, I think we still stay in the East but more than likely as a #2 or #3 seed.

Comment

Harvard picks up a '01 recruit from Buffalo, Trevor Kuntar.

Comment

Harvard picks up a '01 recruit from Buffalo, Trevor Kuntar.
                  More on Kuntar. Looks like he might be in the Alexander Kerfoot mold.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=290309

Comment

More on Kuntar. Looks like he might be in the Alexander Kerfoot mold.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=290309
                    He's 15? Besides the fact that this makes me feel old, it's so weird that 15 year olds are committing to colleges that they may not enroll in until they are 19 or 20 (if not older).
                    Go Crimson!

Comment

• Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                      He's 15? Besides the fact that this makes me feel old, it's so weird that 15 year olds are committing to colleges that they may not enroll in until they are 19 or 20 (if not older).
                      This is the best write up I have seen of the 2001 class. Several have committed to Harvard, including Kuntar, Warren, Thrun, Farrell, and Farinacci. I think Harvard arguably has the top 2000 and 2001 class combined in the country (if they all show up / get in):

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/platform/amp/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2016/10/18/12832238/2001s-top-us-ntdp-candidates-ushl-ohl-qmjhl-2019-nhl-draft-usa-hockey-midget-hockey
                      Last edited by bothman; 02-21-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Gritty game tonight at B-L. I say gritty in every sense of the word - from the ice being soft and chippy due to the unseasonably warm week we've been having to the physical, defensive oriented game that both teams played tonight. Not that Harvard didn't try and skate because they did and when they got their wheels moving, Clarkson was overmatched. Harvard just didn't put together a 60 minute effort tonight. They started off with a strong first period and had the Knights running around their own end. The first goal of the game came off a neutral zone turnover with Zerter Gossage and Kerfoot racing off on a two on one with Alexander finishing off a gorgeous feed from ZG right in front of Keily.

Second period saw both teams taking turns controlling the puck and pressing in each other's zone. Harvard's goal was somewhat of a fluke in that it came off a Clay Anderson shot from the point that deflected off two players before settling behind Keily. Zielonka was the closest to the net and got the final tip.

Clarkson turned it on during the third period especially after Luke Esposito outhustled and forced the Clarkson defender to cough up the puck in front of Keily leading to an easy flip over his shoulder. Thereafter the Knights controlled play and scored with 11 minutes remaining shortly after Harvard killed off a penalty.

Adam Fox did one of his patented flips from his own zone scoring into an empty net after Clarkson pulled their goalie for an extra skater. Still wondering if that is such a great idea.

Finally, a tip of the cap to the seniors in advance of Senior Night tomorrow against SLU. They have mean't so much to the program and are responsible along with Jimmy Vesey, Kyle Criscuolo, Pat McNally, Max Everson, Colin Blackwell, Steve Michalek and other for turning around the culture and attitude. We expect to win and are not comfortable with finishing second anymore. The Beanpot win sealed that emphatically. Thanks to Alexander, Sean, Tyler, Luke, Devin, Clay, Vic and Phil for making hockey meaningful in March again. Let's keep it going into April shall we??

Comment

Gritty game tonight at B-L. I say gritty in every sense of the word - from the ice being soft and chippy due to the unseasonably warm week we've been having to the physical, defensive oriented game that both teams played tonight. Not that Harvard didn't try and skate because they did and when they got their wheels moving, Clarkson was overmatched. Harvard just didn't put together a 60 minute effort tonight. They started off with a strong first period and had the Knights running around their own end. The first goal of the game came off a neutral zone turnover with Zerter Gossage and Kerfoot racing off on a two on one with Alexander finishing off a gorgeous feed from ZG right in front of Keily.

Second period saw both teams taking turns controlling the puck and pressing in each other's zone. Harvard's goal was somewhat of a fluke in that it came off a Clay Anderson shot from the point that deflected off two players before settling behind Keily. Zielonka was the closest to the net and got the final tip.

Clarkson turned it on during the third period especially after Luke Esposito outhustled and forced the Clarkson defender to cough up the puck in front of Keily leading to an easy flip over his shoulder. Thereafter the Knights controlled play and scored with 11 minutes remaining shortly after Harvard killed off a penalty.

Adam Fox did one of his patented flips from his own zone scoring into an empty net after Clarkson pulled their goalie for an extra skater. Still wondering if that is such a great idea.

Finally, a tip of the cap to the seniors in advance of Senior Night tomorrow against SLU. They have mean't so much to the program and are responsible along with Jimmy Vesey, Kyle Criscuolo, Pat McNally, Max Everson, Colin Blackwell, Steve Michalek and other for turning around the culture and attitude. We expect to win and are not comfortable with finishing second anymore. The Beanpot win sealed that emphatically. Thanks to Alexander, Sean, Tyler, Luke, Devin, Clay, Vic and Phil for making hockey meaningful in March again. Let's keep it going into April shall we??
                          Colgate almost did enough for us tonight. We've clinched at least 2nd, as we emphatically own the tiebreaker over Cornell. So we're cheering for the Big Red to get 1 or 2 in Ithaca tomorrow, along with hoping for a win from us obviously. Also note that a Union loss and a tie for us is not enough to move into first, as we'd lose the 2nd tiebreaker, wins, 16 to 15. So it's a must win for us vs. SLU. SLU meanwhile, have nothing at stake tomorrow standings-wise, as they lose the tiebreaker to Cornell based on head to head, and can't be caught by Quinnipiac.

The only other interesting ECACHL standings is the 7-10 spots which is separated by 3 points and features Yale and Princeton playing each other. Dartmouth needs a Yale win or tie in the Princeton game. Colgate needs to win and have Princeton and Dartmouth lose to get home ice, and there is the possibility for a three way tie for 8th with Dartmouth winning the tiebreaker over Princeton and Colgate, eventually because Dartmouth has more points vs. the Top 4 than Colgate does.
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

Colgate almost did enough for us tonight. We've clinched at least 2nd, as we emphatically own the tiebreaker over Cornell. So we're cheering for the Big Red to get 1 or 2 in Ithaca tomorrow, along with hoping for a win from us obviously. Also note that a Union loss and a tie for us is not enough to move into first, as we'd lose the 2nd tiebreaker, wins, 16 to 15. So it's a must win for us vs. SLU. SLU meanwhile, have nothing at stake tomorrow standings-wise, as they lose the tiebreaker to Cornell based on head to head, and can't be caught by Quinnipiac.

The only other interesting ECACHL standings is the 7-10 spots which is separated by 3 points and features Yale and Princeton playing each other. Dartmouth needs a Yale win or tie in the Princeton game. Colgate needs to win and have Princeton and Dartmouth lose to get home ice, and there is the possibility for a three way tie for 8th with Dartmouth winning the tiebreaker over Princeton and Colgate, eventually because Dartmouth has more points vs. the Top 4 than Colgate does.
                            I got a popsicle headache reading that last paragraph.

I hate rooting for Cornell but tonight is meaningful in that we haven't clinched a Cleary Cup since 1994. That season was last time we were in the Frozen Four. We captured the Beanpot, now let's finish the job.

It will be interesting to see how SLU comes out tonight. They have nothing to play for and unless they win the ECAC tournament, their season will end in early March.

Comment

I got a popsicle headache reading that last paragraph.

I hate rooting for Cornell but tonight is meaningful in that we haven't clinched a Cleary Cup since 1994. That season was last time we were in the Frozen Four. We captured the Beanpot, now let's finish the job.

It will be interesting to see how SLU comes out tonight. They have nothing to play for and unless they win the ECAC tournament, their season will end in early March.
                              I got a popsicle heading trying to write that last paragraph. Speaking of hating to usually give Cornell any credit, the ECAC playoff script on the ELynah site is absolutely invaluable. http://www.elynah.com/tbrw/2017/ecac.cgiframe.shtml

I do think the Cleary Cup gets shared by tied teams, even if seeding is obviously subject to tiebreakers. So if Union is losing and Harvard is tied late, it'll be interesting to see how Harvard reacts. The tie would get a share of the Cleary Cup, but obviously not the #1 seed. So would Teddy pull the goalie if the game is 2-2 under a minute left, knowing a loss costs us the Cleary Cup share but doesn't affect us as a tie or loss keeps us as a number 2 seed, and that a win gives us a number 1 seed? Or does he go for getting a share of the Cleary Cup and play out the possible tie? I'm hoping for the former, I enjoy teams pulling the goalie in overtime.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

I got a popsicle heading trying to write that last paragraph. Speaking of hating to usually give Cornell any credit, the ECAC playoff script on the ELynah site is absolutely invaluable. http://www.elynah.com/tbrw/2017/ecac.cgiframe.shtml

I do think the Cleary Cup gets shared by tied teams, even if seeding is obviously subject to tiebreakers. So if Union is losing and Harvard is tied late, it'll be interesting to see how Harvard reacts. The tie would get a share of the Cleary Cup, but obviously not the #1 seed. So would Teddy pull the goalie if the game is 2-2 under a minute left, knowing a loss costs us the Cleary Cup share but doesn't affect us as a tie or loss keeps us as a number 2 seed, and that a win gives us a number 1 seed? Or does he go for getting a share of the Cleary Cup and play out the possible tie? I'm hoping for the former, I enjoy teams pulling the goalie in overtime.
                                Thought about that too Al. Will we get updates on the scoreboard or will Teddy ask that scores not be posted tonight in order not to distract the team? I think if there is a faceoff in the SLU zone with less than a minute left in OT, he'll pull Madsen to see what happens. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

There's a lot of talk naturally about Pairwise and I'm wondering if BC's freefall is going to cost us in terms of Pairwise and seeding for the NCAAs. If BC doesn't make the tournament (and there is a realistic chance they won't make it), how does this impact Harvard if at all? Never thought I would ask that question in my lifetime.

Also hoping that Vic Newell dresses tonight although I tend to doubt it. I'm not sure if it is injury or something else but it is a real mystery to me why he hasn't played this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X