Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Feeling somewhat optimistic about next season, I wanted to start a new thread. I'm not sure I will book flights and hotel in Chicago just yet, but I'd be happy to be convinced that I should consider it.

A few things I am thinking about:
    Will there be a ceremonial raising of the new and improved Hobey Baker banner at Bright-Landry?
    Who will skate right wing on the Kerfoot-Donato line, and will a Harvard line ever get one of those ESPN monikers?
    Is it time to move our season tickets from the band/student end to the Harvard shoots twice end?
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 09-19-2017, 12:35 PM.

Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Crimson on the Glass -
    Thank you for starting the 2016-2017 thread. I also thank you for using the word Harvard in the thread title. I get frustrated with the threads named "Skating Gerbils" or "Fighting Hamsters" given that it is impossible to remember all of the mascot names in college hockey.

I share your optimism for next season. I have heard there will be a couple of excellent additions playing defense. I was really pleased this year to see Ryan Donato develop so well. I know he has two younger brothers who also play hockey. I have never seen them play but it could turn out be like the days when we could have all three Moore brothers on the ice at once.

As to moving your season tickets, I have had season tickets at the east end of Bright for 30+ years and I would be happy to get more Harvard fans at my end. At that end, for Cornell games, I often find Cornell fans in front of me and it drives me nuts when they make make a fascist salute as they make a mockery of our national anthem. My end used to be handier to the old Blue Line Room but now we have to go halfway down the arena to get to the Boynton Lounge. The fireplace and munchies do make the trek worthwhile.

Comment

Kerfoot and Tringale named captains for next year. Great leaders to carry the torches from Vesey and Cruscuolo.

Comment

Does anyone think that Ted could be lured into the Bruins coaching job, assuming it becomes vacant shortly?
        Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
          Does anyone think that Ted could be lured into the Bruins coaching job, assuming it becomes vacant shortly?
          No. Not a chance.

Comment

Harvard with 3 players on the NHL's final 2016 Draft Rankings. Adam Fox, Marshall Rifai, and Matt Gosiewski.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              Crimson on the Glass -
              Thank you for starting the 2016-2017 thread.

I have had season tickets at the east end of Bright for 30+ years and I would be happy to get more Harvard fans at my end. At that end, for Cornell games, I often find Cornell fans in front of me and it drives me nuts . . .
              Oh yes. We actually have the only season tickets in our east end section (I could tell this in the first minutes they opened the ECAC playoff series for sale), so we are generally surrounded by whoever wants to travel in force to see their team try to beat up on old Harvard. Or if it's really slow we'll get the undergraduate promotions like the rugby team, etc. and that's usually fun. Nobody in front of us, though.

Has anyone heard anything interesting about Harvard out of conference scheduling? The schedule thread is pretty quiet about the Crimson, though it seems they are not going to Belfest or MSG next year. Hopefully they'll be able to get a bit more pairwise traction out of the local tournament, as the few OOC games seem to carry so much weight for the Ivy teams particularly.

I do know from reading the excellent reporting here that Harvard has some highly touted defensemen coming in, so that may change some aspects of the game for the better. Those couple of goals-against flurries by BU and Q just after the first of the year were tough to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                Feeling somewhat optimistic about next season, I wanted to start a new thread. I'm not sure I will book flights and hotel in Chicago just yet, but I'd be happy to be convinced that I should consider it.

A few things I am thinking about:
                Will there be a ceremonial raising of the new and improved Hobey Baker banner at Bright-Landry?
                Who will skate right wing on the Kerfoot-Donato line, and will a Harvard line ever get one of those ESPN monikers?
                Is it time to move our season tickets from the band/student end to the Harvard shoots twice end?
                First, thanks for starting the new thread. We tend to get lazy about such things waiting until the last minute.

As far as I know, there is no 'raising of the Hobey banner' because there is no such thing. There most likely will be a photo of Jimmy with the trophy on the wall with other Crimson players and their trophies.

No telling who will skate right wing with Kerfoot and Donato or if Ryan will even be skating with Kerfoot next season. Lots of competition for jobs to be sure. The only lockdowns are Alexander Kerfoot (I think his brother is joining the team next season), Sean Malone, Donato, Luke Esposito, Tyler Moy, Tringale and Seb Lloyd. After that, throw names into a hat and pick the rest. Expect that the two late forwards who committed will get a long look-see. The D is more established along with the two frosh Fox and Marino who will no doubt get plenty of ice time.

Yes, move your tickets!

Comment

It's official. Julien is staying. That means Vesey is headed either north of the border to Toronto or the latest rumor has him thinking Buffalo and Eichel. Wouldn't that be a pairing??

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    Kerfoot and Tringale named captains for next year. Great leaders to carry the torches from Vesey and Cruscuolo.
                    Agree 150%. Great choices. I'm hoping Alexander shoots the puck more next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                      It's official. Julien is staying. That means Vesey is headed either north of the border to Toronto or the latest rumor has him thinking Buffalo and Eichel. Wouldn't that be a pairing??
                      Yep, saw that this morning. I understand he has family connections to the Leafs, but the Sabres would be a good spot for him. I still wish he'd stay in Boston though.
                      Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

As far as I know, there is no 'raising of the Hobey banner' because there is no such thing.
                        I'm talking about that large Crimson banner over the section just inside the front door, next to the NCAA Champions 1989 banner. Surely you have seen it. It says Hobey Baker Award on top, with MacDonald, Fusco and Fusco names below. I'm thinking another name will be added, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                          I'm talking about that large Crimson banner over the section just inside the front door, next to the NCAA Champions 1989 banner. Surely you have seen it. It says Hobey Baker Award on top, with MacDonald, Fusco and Fusco names below. I'm thinking another name will be added, that's all.
                          My memory isn't what it used to be but you're right, now I do remember the banner you speak of. Jimmy's name will definitely be added to the list.

Comment

Yep, saw that this morning. I understand he has family connections to the Leafs, but the Sabres would be a good spot for him. I still wish he'd stay in Boston though.
                            His dad is an area scout for the Maple Leafs. And yeah, I wish he would stay here but Julien is not a good coach for him. He ruins young players. The Sabres are an up and coming team and Bylsma is good with young players. It's a good fit either in Toronto or Buffalo.

Comment

His dad is an area scout for the Maple Leafs. And yeah, I wish he would stay here but Julien is not a good coach for him. He ruins young players. The Sabres are an up and coming team and Bylsma is good with young players. It's a good fit either in Toronto or Buffalo.
                              Didn't ruin Marchand, Bergeron, Kregic, Krug and others
                              Makes them better
                              Might be a veterans coach and doesn't love young guys but does not ruin them

Comment

Working...
                              X