Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
    Both Harvard recruits (Farinacci and Mullahy) selected to the Select-16 All Star game and Farinacci was the leading point getter. Also, John Fusco was selected (not sure if related, but I hope so).

The best players get selected to the Four Nations tourney - selections will be announced later today.
    Only farinacci makes the Four Nations.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      Fusco is the son/nephew of Harvard's Hobey winning Fuscos.
      Farinacci is also the nephew, I believe, of a Harvard hockey alum from the same era.

In other news, Reilly Walsh already has 2 goals in the Devils prospect game, and the Devils are still in contact trying to sign Alex Kerfoot. Please Alex?
      Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
      Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
        Farinacci is also the nephew, I believe, of a Harvard hockey alum from the same era.

In other news, Reilly Walsh already has 2 goals in the Devils prospect game, and the Devils are still in contact trying to sign Alex Kerfoot. Please Alex?
        Great news on Walsh. Our D is going to be terrific next season.

On Alexander. That's a bit surprising and I'm wondering if he is taking the Vesey route to become a free agent. I think the deadline for the Devils to sign him is August 15th or somewhere in that neighborhood. Would love for the Bruins to go after him but I'm guessing Vancouver will make a strong play for him if he indeed becomes a free agent.

Comment

So i played tennis this morning at Behrens and as I was walking past Bright Landry on my way to my car, I couldn't help but think about the following: if Harvard had won the national championship, would Ryan Donato have signed with the Bruins? The Globe ran another article following the end of development camp and again, they asked Sweeney about his approach to Ryan. Sweeney was diplomatic as always and I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that he played with Teddy. And maybe they do feel Ryan would benefit from another year at Harvard. Personally, I hope he finishes his four years consecutively but I think the Bruins are going to overhaul their roster by this time next year and Ryan will be #1 on their list of prospects that they will attempt to sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by alslammerz View Post

Devils beat writers very bullish on Walsh. Should step into the 6th D role as a frosh. D will be very good and deep.

Will try and predict the lines shortly. Donato going to play center this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Devils beat writers very bullish on Walsh. Should step into the 6th D role as a frosh. D will be very good and deep.

Will try and predict the lines shortly. Donato going to play center this year.
              No matter whether the first or second PP unit is on the ice, we'll seemingly have tremendous threats from the point in Fox and Walsh. The college version of the Nashville Preds.

Interesting that Ryan would move to center. Does that move Badini to the second line? What about Colton Kerfoot? And does this open up a spot for Luke Gregoire at left wing on either the first or second lines?

Comment

Looks like the schedule is out http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2017-18/schedule

Comment

Harvard picks up LD recruit in Christian Jiminez. Will play at Taft next year and was leading D point deter at recent Select 15. Class of 2020 alongside Thrun, Farrell, Gaffney, etc
                  Last edited by bothman; 07-27-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                    The early part of the schedule is no picnic. Nine straight road games including two at Minnesota, BC and then the Catamount Cup at Vermont over New Years. The team will have to play airtight D until the line combos shake out and we find consistent scoring. Madsen will have to stand on his head early to keep us in these games.

Comment

I have a question out of curiosity, not trying to ruffle up anyone's feathers. I see Harvard has twenty three recruits coming in after this year so far(in 2018 and later). Are you telling me they're all student athletes, looks like the recruiting bar is lowered ? How many schollies do they give out ? How do they do this ? Very curious !
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        I have a question out of curiosity, not trying to ruffle up anyone's feathers. I see Harvard has twenty three recruits coming in after this year so far(in 2018 and later). Are you telling me they're all student athletes, looks like the recruiting bar is lowered ? How many schollies do they give out ? How do they do this ? Very curious !
                        When you commit to Harvard, you commit to the process. No commit (even the most sought after like Wahlstrom, Wilde, and Warren) are guaranteed admittance. This is partially why Harvard has more recruits in addition to a lot of demand for the school and Playing for Donato given his style of NHL style of play (emphasis on puck movers, speed, and skill).

My 2 cents anyhow.

Comment

Early 2018 rankings suggest Harvard has 2 first rounders in Wahlstrom and Wilde:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2018-...-early-top-31/

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            When you commit to Harvard, you commit to the process. No commit (even the most sought after like Wahlstrom, Wilde, and Warren) are guaranteed admittance. This is partially why Harvard has more recruits in addition to a lot of demand for the school and Playing for Donato given his style of NHL style of play (emphasis on puck movers, speed, and skill).

My 2 cents anyhow.
                            Also worth mentioning that there are NO athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. Although there is need based financial aide for those who qualify.

Every year, there are commits who do not get through admissions. When the school makes you an offer, it is with the understanding that the player keeps up their grades and test scores. At the very least, they must have math and verbal in the 600s (but 700+ is preferable) and minimum 3.0 GPA (unweighted)...

Here is a very good article on how the Academic index works with regards to Athletic Recruiting: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/sp...some-math.html

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              I'll follow up on Both's post to say that a lot can happen between now and when the player enrolls. Some decommit and enroll elsewhere, some don't get admitted, some get waitlisted and decide to take a gap year. There are a number of reasons and it isn't just Harvard. All the Ivies face the same hurdles. As someone who does interviewing for the admissions committee, I can assure you the bar isn't dropping anytime soon. The AI is just one factor that plays into the admit process. Teddy is lining up these kids (Paul Pearl and Rob Rassey were out in Western Canada earlier this month on recruiting trips) because he knows he won't get all of them. And he needs depth to compete with the HE schools and the West.

Comment

Thank you all, interesting stuff.
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X