Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Congrats on a great season.18-0-1 unbeaten streak was awesome.
    Thought the United Center would be crimson-gold-crimson on Saturday.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Great season by the Crimson. Congrats................reminded me of 2007 .Tough way to lose.

Comment

Great season! Great team! Sorry for the loss.
        'Gate fan

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          I'm sure they will but I also think the possibility of playing with his brother would be a strong incentive to stay a year.

Of course if USA Hockey decides to chase him for the Olympics...
          We can't be sure but my guess is that Ryan will stay on and finish Harvard. If Jack joins the team that would be an incentive. I can't remember how old Nolan is but he might head Harvard's way also. Makes me think of the time when Harvard has three Moore's on the team.

It was a great game to watch. UMD had a team that looks bigger and looking at the faces on the bench looked older than the Harvard team.

I wish they had won but have no complaints about this team. It brought back memories of the teams of the late 80's. Looking forward to next year.

footnote on ESPN coverage: The announcers did seem to be UMD fans in their comments. I tried to listen to WHRB but they were broadcasting with a tape (?) delay of 25-30 seconds and it got to confusing so I shut off WHRB and just listened to the television.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Yeah from watching it on TV and replaying it a thousand times by rewinding my DVR, I thought the whistle came after the puck crossed the line. But officials are loathe to reverse a call like that when a whistle is involved. It was close to be sure.

Regarding Donato's skate, I'm not sure they would have had enough time even with the timeout to get him back out there. I might have used someone other than Floodstrand for that key face-off. We just lost D zone coverage on the play in addition to the board battle.
            Glad you brought that up, because Buccigross and Melrose just copped out by essentially confirming the referee's decision. I don't think it was in before the whistle, but I believe the shot was released before the whistle, which means it should have counted. I get it that the "intent" of the referee is subjective, but his intent has to be to blow the whistle before the shot is released, not before it goes in. It doesn't matter when it goes in...it matters when "play" was intended to be stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              I wish they had won but have no complaints about this team. It brought back memories of the teams of the late 80's. Looking forward to next year.
              This was an excellent Harvard squad, but the Ciavaglia / MacDonald / Bourbeau team was one of a kind. The 89 squad was probably the 3rd best I've ever seen, after RPI 85 and Maine 93.

Congratulations on a great season, now please finish 10th next year.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Good news for future recruit Trevor Kuntar:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...bres-16u-t1ehl
                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  This was an excellent Harvard squad, but the Ciavaglia / MacDonald / Bourbeau team was one of a kind. The 89 squad was probably the 3rd best I've ever seen, after RPI 85 and Maine 93.

Congratulations on a great season, now please finish 10th next year.
                  Only if you guys finish 11th or 12th
                  Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    I thought it was 4 years from when you were drafted. So for example, Donato drafted in 2014 but didn't arrive at Harvard till 2015-2016 season. Vesey drafted in 2012 and arrived at Harvard fall of 2012.
                    It might very well be the case. I'm just not sure. Given that Sweeney and Teddy know each other, they most likely have had conversations about Ryan. My gut tells me he'll be back for one more season and then move on to the Bruins. Would be great if he stayed and graduated with his class but I'm not expecting that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                      Only if you guys finish 11th or 12th
                      They can't count that high - give them a break.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Glad you brought that up, because Buccigross and Melrose just copped out by essentially confirming the referee's decision. I don't think it was in before the whistle, but I believe the shot was released before the whistle, which means it should have counted. I get it that the "intent" of the referee is subjective, but his intent has to be to blow the whistle before the shot is released, not before it goes in. It doesn't matter when it goes in...it matters when "play" was intended to be stopped.
                        There's no question that the shot was released before the whistle. You can see Malone jamming it and it's in the net as the whistle is blown. What was hard to tell was if the whistle was blown before the puck crossed the goal line because the goalies pads covered the puck initially as it crossed the line. Had he had even one pad lifted, it would have been a goal.

Comment

Tough way to lose, but congrats on a great year. It's taken Teddy D a while to get thing rolling, but with who you have coming back next year and the recruiting classes you have lined up, I think you guys are going to be major players for the foreseeable future.
                          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                          BC - 12
                          BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Congratulations on a great season and now a great program again and some great hardware collected along the way !!!
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 04-08-2017, 08:58 AM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                              Tough way to lose, but congrats on a great year. It's taken Teddy D a while to get thing rolling, but with who you have coming back next year and the recruiting classes you have lined up, I think you guys are going to be major players for the foreseeable future.
                              Thanks. We feel hopeful for the future. With great recruiting classes comes the angst that they will leave early. It seems like this senior class along with Jimmy Vesey have set an expectation for staying and finishing what they start as freshmen. Several players have referenced Vesey this week as the reason for staying all four years. I hope that is true. I don't want us to become like BU and BC where players come and then leave after one or two seasons. Our admissions committee would not go for that at all.

Comment

I just want to say how grateful I am for this Harvard team and the joy it brought this fan over the past 7 months. I never expected the outcomes that this year produced which made it even sweeter.

To the Seniors, thank you, and more specifically:

@Sean Malone - thanks for persevering through all of your injuries and finally getting a full season of health to display your talent. Such a knack for clutch goals

@ Tyler Moy - Was anyone in the ECAC better at cycling behind the net and firing the one timer from the low slot on the PP? Such improvement over your four years

@ Luke Esposito - Thank you for your grit, your chirp, and your willingness to play the body.....not to mention your ability to finish. Don't apologize for anything

@ Phil Zielonka - the best finisher in practice finally got a chance to show his stuff. Lot of mid-week sweat equity paid off and thank you for your readiness and patience

@ Alex Kerfoot - So smooth and unselfish, a heralded recruit who just kept getting better as the years went on. Vesey and Donato owe a lot to your vision

@ Clay Anderson - I was super tough on you over the years but you had a heck of a senior year and you didn't let the doubters/skeptics (like me) get the best of you.

@ Devin Tringale - Thank you for your leadership and your voice in the locker room and on the bench. It was always about Ws and what doesn't show up in the box score

The team will be different next year. Much more of a four line, lunch pail team, with a true top line (Donato+) and a very, very good defense and goalie. Finishing will be tougher, that is for sure, and the 5v5 will have to be better given the likely PP% dip. They will have to win many more 2-1 and 3-2 games next year. Likely not a NCAA team, but they could be and certainly should challenge for top 4 status in the ECAC. They bring in some recruits who will contribute - Jack Badini on offense (4th leading goal scorer in the USHL) and Reilly Walsh (best player in prep hockey this year and is a very good puck moving D Man who should step in for Clay Anderson to round out the Top 6). Other guys, especially on offense, will need to step up and in to the oppty given more playing time. F. Gregoire, C. Kerfoot, etc.

Of course there is risk. Paul Pearl will have plenty of oppty to be a head coach if he is interested. Donato and the Bruins could have conversations. And then there is always admissions. One of Denver's best puck movers (Adam Plante) ended up there due to being a late Harvard admissions casualty.

When we look beyond, the recruiting (admissions and MJ notwithstanding) gets really exciting. Bode Wilde, Marshall Warren, Oliver Wahlstrom, Jack Drury, John Farinacci, etc - point here, is this kind of talent makes Harvard a perennial Frozen Four, especially given the academic pedigree (greater likelihood of staying 3-4 years) and and less likelihood of the mercenaries who will opt for BU like Clayton Keller. Heck, Louis Leblanc is not that far in the rear view mirror and we all know how the story went for him. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.....

An amazing year was this. Ivy League Title, ECAC RS Title, Whitelaw, Beanpot, Frozen Four. 2 All Americans. Somebody pinch me! I think Harvard is back!
                                Last edited by bothman; 04-09-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X