• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Nice win!
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Congratulations to the Crimsons! 😜
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          I'll be honest. I did not expect Harvard to win tonight. It's not because they don;t have the talent, but because BU is loaded and this tourney is the BU invitational.

I never could have predicted the performance from Harvard. Other than when BU scored the two goals early in the second - that was the only time I ever felt that BU had any control of this game. Harvard just dominated all 200 feet and BU was forced to the perimeter and to take penalties all night. Harvard consistently took it to the net and won most of the puck battles in the corners and along the walls. Quite simply - Harvard wanted it way more.

I thought Donato was far and away the best and most dangerous skater on the ice all night - which says a lot given the competition. I thought Harvard played its game and everyone played his role.

A real statement win against a real solid BU team. Doing it on a big stage with a lot of pressure has to give this Harvard team confidence as it prepares for the back-end of the schedule, starting with a rivalry game at the House of Horrors (otherwise known as Ingalls Rink). Let's hope that this is the beginning of some more hardware.
          The shots tell the story. 46-17. When does BU get outshot that badly? It really looked for all the world like they came out expecting that Harvard would turtle especially after they went up 2-1. Credit the Crimson for not straying from the game plan and continuing to press the puck all night for 200 feet. The power plays helped us tip the ice in our favor and I don't think BU ever recovered. I also think that they were so individualistic that it played right into our hands.

Boy do Marino and Fox make a difference. Our breakouts were so much smoother and controlled.

Comment

Some leftover thoughts from last night:

1. We got lucky in the third period when the refs missed an obvious too many men on the ice penalty against us. BU players were screaming at the ref while play was going on but fortunately the whistle blew for an offsides or icing. The game was still close at that point.

2. I've chastised Ryan Donato for being too individualistic and not using his teammates but his goal last night was filthy. A Lane MacDonald special. Ryan really responded to McAvoy's trying to run him out of the building by making BU pay on the scoreboard.

3. Keller is one heck of a sniper. Kid is going to be a good pro. Natural goal scorer.

4. Teddy may want to have a chat with Adam Fox about taking rink long shots at the empty net in the future. If that misses, it's an icing, we can't change players and it gives BU another offensive zone opportunity. Not to take away from Fox because he had a great game but you have to be mindful of the consequences if you miss.

5. I think this win will propel the team going forward in ways that other tournament wins (Mariucci, Shilleagh) simply can't. We beat the #4 team in the country in a tournament they feel is theirs to lose and we did it with a 60 minute effort. As long as complacency doesn't set in, we'll be fine.

6. Like the new third line of Horton, Krushko and Zielonka. Good speed and grit. Krushko has no fear of going to the dirty areas. Kid reminds me of the Giontas.

On to New Haven.

Comment

Congrats to the Crimson. Somewhere HankWP is smiling.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Congratulations on the Beanpot win!
                Colgate '09

Comment

From a Merrimack fan, congrats!
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    Some leftover thoughts from last night:

CONGRATS on an excellent win for the program. While the scoreboard didn't always indicate it, Harvard was smothering and dominating. Look at the final SOG stats. Amazing you guys did that to BU!!!!

1. We got lucky in the third period when the refs missed an obvious too many men on the ice penalty against us. BU players were screaming at the ref while play was going on but fortunately the whistle blew for an offsides or icing. The game was still close at that point.

2. I've chastised Ryan Donato for being too individualistic and not using his teammates but his goal last night was filthy. A Lane MacDonald special. Ryan really responded to McAvoy's trying to run him out of the building by making BU pay on the scoreboard.

3. Keller is one heck of a sniper. Kid is going to be a good pro. Natural goal scorer.

4. Teddy may want to have a chat with Adam Fox about taking rink long shots at the empty net in the future. If that misses, it's an icing, we can't change players and it gives BU another offensive zone opportunity. Not to take away from Fox because he had a great game but you have to be mindful of the consequences if you miss.
                    Agree with you on this one. I also think he has a lot of maturing to do defensively. He is gifted and his addition has elevated your program this year....but, he was very sloppy on I think it was BU's first goal letting the BU player skate through the crease untouched for that tip in. (Might have been the second goal but it was one of the first two.)

5. I think this win will propel the team going forward in ways that other tournament wins (Mariucci, Shilleagh) simply can't. We beat the #4 team in the country in a tournament they feel is theirs to lose and we did it with a 60 minute effort. As long as complacency doesn't set in, we'll be fine.

Really hope you guys can make a serious run to the Frozen Four and perhaps win the whole thing.

6. Like the new third line of Horton, Krushko and Zielonka. Good speed and grit. Krushko has no fear of going to the dirty areas. Kid reminds me of the Giontas.

On to New Haven.
                    I'm very fearful that our last game this year is I think against you guys at Bright. Sure hope we don't need to win that last game.
                    SLU

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      I'll be honest. I did not expect Harvard to win tonight. It's not because they don;t have the talent, but because BU is loaded and this tourney is the BU invitational.

This tournament hasn't been the BU Invitational in years. It's been the BC Invitational for the past decade. That said - congrats to all the Harvard fans! It is good to see others win this thing (even at my team's expense) and I think all four teams this year could've won. I'm disappointed more because I don't know what happened to the BU team that beat you back in the fall. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post

I never could have predicted the performance from Harvard. Other than when BU scored the two goals early in the second - that was the only time I ever felt that BU had any control of this game. Harvard just dominated all 200 feet and BU was forced to the perimeter and to take penalties all night. Harvard consistently took it to the net and won most of the puck battles in the corners and along the walls. Quite simply - Harvard wanted it way more.

I thought Donato was far and away the best and most dangerous skater on the ice all night - which says a lot given the competition. I thought Harvard played its game and everyone played his role.

A real statement win against a real solid BU team. Doing it on a big stage with a lot of pressure has to give this Harvard team confidence as it prepares for the back-end of the schedule, starting with a rivalry game at the House of Horrors (otherwise known as Ingalls Rink). Let's hope that this is the beginning of some more hardware.
                        It stopped being the BU invitational years ago. Now, if Northeastern can follow up on Harvard winning...can only help. Is there any chance at all this Harvard win helps increase future Harvard Beanpot crowds?

Comment

My apologies to Ted for comparing him to Marvin Lewis, and for my negativity about this team, I was wrong. What a great effort last night. After BU went up 2-1 despite being outshot badly, I expected a cave-in, like the game last season at Bright, but these guys are different. Couldn't be happier, all gravy from here on in.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            It stopped being the BU invitational years ago. Now, if Northeastern can follow up on Harvard winning...can only help. Is there any chance at all this Harvard win helps increase future Harvard Beanpot crowds?
                            It may? Hopefully the students who went last night enjoyed it enough to go again next year for the semis, and they bring some of their friends too.

I also think it would help if we got the late game. BC and Northeastern will have plenty of fans even if they start at 5. The allure of a primetime championship rematch might get a few more Crimson fans in.
                            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

I gotta say, this BC fan was VERY impressed with Harvard last night. That was quite a performance start to finish and a well deserved end to the drought. Plus it's good for the Beanpot in general for someone other than BC or BU to win it.

You guys look like you will be extremely dangerous moving forward this year.
                              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                              BC - 12
                              BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

First of all, congrats to the Crimson from at least this Northeastern fan. IMO, hockey interest in Boston is best served when all four teams are legitimate threats for not only the Beanpot but also league and national championships.

But WRT the previous comment about Harvard students coming back next year: It's a fact that Harvard hockey was very much an "in" thing on the Harvard campus during the Cooney Weiland and Billy Cleary eras. And the wildly popular 1970 movie "Love Story" (1 Oscar/5 GGs) had a Harvard hockey setting. The cachet started to fade after Billy turned over the coaching reins and all but disappeared after he retired. Hopefully, the Beanpot helps restore some of the program's former luster.
                                Last edited by Split-N; 02-14-2017, 12:46 PM.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X