Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Fox a shoe-in to make World JRs. Badini showed well and assuming he has a good Fall, I expect him to make team. Think he's going to be an impact frosh as will Walsh.

Wahlstrom is a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Early 2018 rankings suggest Harvard has 2 first rounders in Wahlstrom and Wilde:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2018-...-early-top-31/
      It's always interesting to see how things play out when players first start getting "ranked". Jake Wise for BU and Wahlstrom were both thought to be Top-5 picks a couple years ago. Wise is now a low first/early second, while Wahlstrom is a mid-to-late first rounder. Of course, they both could have monster U-18 seasons and get back up to the top 10. And then someone like Farabee for BU is now a top-5 when I don't think he was too high on the radar a couple years ago.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        I have a question out of curiosity, not trying to ruffle up anyone's feathers. I see Harvard has twenty-three recruits coming in after this year so far(in 2018 and later). Are you telling me they're all student athletes, looks like the recruiting bar is lowered? How many schollies do they give out ? How do they do this ? Very curious !
        For athletics, Harvard uses an Academic Index in their admissions which consider test scores and grade point average in the context of the student population. Each school does its own calculation and coaches are allowed to admit some number across a range of scores. Harvard, Yale and Princeton are the most difficult for an athlete. Cornell, not so. This academic index is very very strictly enforced. The reality is, the academically weakest athlete at these school, who are admitted, would rank at the top in academics at other schools. The Ivy League is need based only, as is Union. Colgate use to be need based but the Patriot League allowed scholarships a while back.

Colgate and the Patriot League, as well as the NESCAC (D-III) also have had academic indexes. Not as tough. Not sure they still do.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 08-01-2017, 05:25 AM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          For athletics, Harvard uses an Academic Index in their admissions which consider test scores and grade point average in the context of the student population. Each school does its own calculation and coaches are allowed to admit some number across a range of scores. Harvard, Yale and Princeton are the most difficult for an athlete. Cornell, not so. This academic index is very very strictly enforced. The reality is, the academically weakest athlete at these school, who are admitted, would rank at the top in academics at other schools. The Ivy League is need based only, as is Union. Colgate use to be need based but the Patriot League allowed scholarships a while back.

Colgate and the Patriot League, as well as the NESCAC (D-III) also have had academic indexes. Not as tough. Not sure they still do.
          To further answer, one of the reasons Harvard has 23 recruits in the next few years is because they might not all make it past admissions especially in light of the Academic Index. So never take a Harvard commit too strongly until they actually are announced.

Also Harvard doesn't give out scholarships. Not academic, not athletic.
          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
          Go Crimson!

Comment

Fox and Badini make first cuts, but Wahlstrom does not.

Comment

Fox and Badini make first cuts, but Wahlstrom does not.
              I'm not surprised about Wahlstrom. He was the only 17yr old on a roster of 18 and 19yr olds.

Comment

• Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                To further answer, one of the reasons Harvard has 23 recruits in the next few years is because they might not all make it past admissions especially in light of the Academic Index. So never take a Harvard commit too strongly until they actually are announced.

Also Harvard doesn't give out scholarships. Not academic, not athletic.
                Don't need to. They give aid. Unless you are above the "John Kerry super rich" line () Harvard picks up the bill. Convenient indeed.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Don't need to. They give aid. Unless you are above the "John Kerry super rich" line () Harvard picks up the bill. Convenient indeed.

"super rich" is all relative... Here is a financial aid calculator... You can play around with the numbers, but generally, if your family has income over $150K a year and has saved up $1mm, then you get nothing... Or if you have income >$200K and have not much in savings, you still get close to nothing... That is a lot of money for some people, but not exactly "super rich". And considering that tuition, room and board is $65K - that is over $100K of pre-tax income. So somebody who's family makes $200K is spending half their income on tuition... So you are better off having low income and getting free tuition, or being very wealthy (say >$500K) where it doesn't matter... Bottom line is the upper middle class are the ones getting squeezed...

https://college.harvard.edu/financia...ice-calculator

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Williams is as tough as it comes.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Fox with 2 Gs in today's WJC tune-up. Coaches say he has taken his game to a new level,

If he stays healthy, should be a shoe-in for defenseman of the year in The ECAC.

Comment

Thanks for making Mookie laugh with the "150k in income and 1mm saved"

If only......
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Fox with 2 Gs in today's WJC tune-up. Coaches say he has taken his game to a new level,

If he stays healthy, should be a shoe-in for defenseman of the year in The ECAC.
                          I really hope he stays and graduates on time but something tells me that two more years of escalating play will have Calgary calling on him to leave. This is the downside to recruiting blue chip prospects who take their game to the next level.

Comment

Update on Reilly Walsh from someone who knows him and has seen him play numerous times. Connected recently with a good friend who is a sports medicine guy - former PC hockey player who played pro in the Caps organization. He felt that while Reilly has all the tools, he could benefit from taking a gap year and waiting until the fall of '18 to enroll. Reason being is that he needs to fill out to compete at the D-1 level. My friend doesn't think he is going to be strong enough to deal with the likes of BC, BU or Cornell for that matter. Skill wise, he is an 'A' player but my friend who has seen players develop at different levels thinks that Walsh needs more seasoning. Just an FYI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                              Update on Reilly Walsh from someone who knows him and has seen him play numerous times. Connected recently with a good friend who is a sports medicine guy - former PC hockey player who played pro in the Caps organization. He felt that while Reilly has all the tools, he could benefit from taking a gap year and waiting until the fall of '18 to enroll. Reason being is that he needs to fill out to compete at the D-1 level. My friend doesn't think he is going to be strong enough to deal with the likes of BC, BU or Cornell for that matter. Skill wise, he is an 'A' player but my friend who has seen players develop at different levels thinks that Walsh needs more seasoning. Just an FYI.
                              This is the route Jack Rathbone is taking. Coming to Harvard next year. There is a ton off depth on the Harvard blue line next year, but I will be surprised if Reilly is not a 3rd pairing defenseman and playing on the 2nd PP.

Comment

This is the route Jack Rathbone is taking. Coming to Harvard next year. There is a ton off depth on the Harvard blue line next year, but I will be surprised if Reilly is not a 3rd pairing defenseman and playing on the 2nd PP.
                                Agree. I expect he will be taking a number of the 2nd power plays. Teams are going to have to be super careful not to put us on the PP given our backline offensive firepower. That depth will also help when we have to kill penalties.

Comment

Working...
                                X