Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    So tonight's game had the feel of a scrimmage. I'm sure RPI fans will disagree but that's what it felt like. Harvard was never really threatened in this game as they pretty much did what they had to do to win. Not that it was an artistic success and we were somewhat sloppy in our zone. Maybe lazy is a better word. Probably a combo of the time off and the opponent.

Takeaways from the game:

1. All four lines got into the scoring column with Eddie Ellis and Tyler Pelton-Byce netting their first goals of the season. Our depth really showed as RPI concentrated heavily on trying to take out our first line (literally as Alexander Kerfoot and Ryan Donato took some shots in this game that were borderline cheap).

2. Clay Anderson had one of his better games as did Madsen. The shot that beat Madsen was clean and would have beaten most goalies.

3. We took some cheap penalties and our D got caught out of position or leaning the wrong way a few times that led to RPI scoring chances. Again, most likely due to the layoff.

4. I don't know who coaches RPI's D but whoever he is, he needs a refresher course. I lost count of how many times Engineer D left Harvard forwards wide open in front of Hackett.

5. And, as usual, RPI had to resort to the rough stuff getting really chippy by the third period because they don't have the skill or speed to stay with us. I guess this is the only way Appert knows how to coach. Pretty disappointing and one reason why they are buried in last place.

Big weekend next week with the Bobcats coming to town. Time for some payback.
    Yup.

Difficult to watch RPI. I like Appert, but it appears that he has lost this team. When I see such rampant lack of positioning, the selfish penalties, and the inability to execute - I think a lack of buy-in to what this coaching staff is trying to implement. RPI almost seems disinterested.

I thought Harvard brought its "C+" game and yes, the rust was apparent.

Anyone know if Reilly Walsh will come in 2017 instead of 2018? Having 3 top puck movers (Marino, Fox, and Walsh) would be huge for Harvard to anchor each defensive pairing. Makes such a difference.

Comment

No I have never been to Canton or Appleton but my nephew has as he was recruited by SLU. And he was very disappointed in the rink and the facilities. To say nothing of the haul to get up there.

My comments had nothing to do with Appleton or Canton or the way the broadcasts are technically produced. As someone who has been a college and pro broadcaster and who did college hockey, I was merely observing what sounded to me like less than even a student broadcast with comments that didn't sound like someone who was observing what was going on down on the ice. I'm not knocking Joe Marsh personally or questioning his knowledge of the game. And maybe his folksy style plays well up North. It just came as a bit of a surprise to me that's all. And honestly, it wasn't a great broadcast. Just calling' it the way I heard it.

To disparage the NC and the comments of a universally acclaimed national coach of the year bespeaks methinks of a bit of Ivy you know what. Perhaps if SLU , CCT etc had the deep pockets of a university w/ billions we would be able to improve our seemingly lackluster facilities and move away from unpaid volunteers who have nothing but a love and deep knowledge of the game. No doubt Joe Marsh remains quite content to have eschewed the opportunity to ply his considerable on and off ice talents w/ the Johnnies in leafy Cambridge
      SLU65

Comment

Skate 79 -

I concur with your comments.
        As to comment No.1, I saw Ryan Donato take a few elbows and what looked like a butt behind the net and noticed that he ignored the shots taken on him and stayed focused on getting to the puck. Makes you proud of the kid to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
          To disparage the NC and the comments of a universally acclaimed national coach of the year bespeaks methinks of a bit of Ivy you know what. Perhaps if SLU , CCT etc had the deep pockets of a university w/ billions we would be able to improve our seemingly lackluster facilities and move away from unpaid volunteers who have nothing but a love and deep knowledge of the game. No doubt Joe Marsh remains quite content to have eschewed the opportunity to ply his considerable on and off ice talents w/ the Johnnies in leafy Cambridge
          Oh please give it a rest. FYI, my brother and my nephew are not Ivy Leaguers. So your reaction is totally unfounded. I was merely relaying their reaction to the rink and the campus. They enjoyed meeting the folks from admissions. And the athletic department. They are entitled to their opinions. Chill.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
            Skate 79 -

I concur with your comments.
            As to comment No.1, I saw Ryan Donato take a few elbows and what looked like a butt behind the net and noticed that he ignored the shots taken on him and stayed focused on getting to the puck. Makes you proud of the kid to see that.
            Agree 100%. Ryan has matured and is playing disciplined, smart hockey. RPI definitely targeted our #1 line and they shook it off and continued doing what they do best. When things got a bit out of hand in the third, Luke Esposito took matters into his own hands and belted a couple of Engineers to make sure they understood we wouldn't back down. I'd rather Luke focus on using his skill and speed but sometimes a message needs to be sent.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Yup.

Difficult to watch RPI. I like Appert, but it appears that he has lost this team. When I see such rampant lack of positioning, the selfish penalties, and the inability to execute - I think a lack of buy-in to what this coaching staff is trying to implement. RPI almost seems disinterested.

I thought Harvard brought its "C+" game and yes, the rust was apparent.

Anyone know if Reilly Walsh will come in 2017 instead of 2018? Having 3 top puck movers (Marino, Fox, and Walsh) would be huge for Harvard to anchor each defensive pairing. Makes such a difference.
              I also think that Harvard sometimes relaxes because they know they can beat an opponent. There were stretches in the game where they stood around a bit. But for the most part, they came to play and they put RPI away early which is what you're supposed to do with a weak team.

Funniest moment in the game. When RPI scored, the kid who scored acted like he just netted the game winner. His celebration was a tad excessive and had people in my section laughing. What a clueless team.

Comment

Take them to a game at SLU and see the facilities
                Great take and atmosphere. Campus is beautiful

Rink has great history and tradition and is a great place to play and train

Comment

Scouting the enemy: Harvard Crimson

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...d-crimson.html
                  QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                  2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                  2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                  2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                  https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                  https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                  https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                    Scouting the enemy: Harvard Crimson

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...d-crimson.html
                    Will Adam Fox be back (hopefully donning a gold medal!)

Comment

Will Adam Fox be back (hopefully donning a gold medal!)
                      He will be back whether he plays tomorrow is another story. I can't see Donato playing him tomorrow having played 3 games in four days since Monday with the third game the gold medal game tonight.
                      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                      https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Oh please give it a rest. FYI, my brother and my nephew are not Ivy Leaguers. So your reaction is totally unfounded. I was merely relaying their reaction to the rink and the campus. They enjoyed meeting the folks from admissions. And the athletic department. They are entitled to their opinions. Chill.
                        Never said they were Ivy Leaguers

See Ivy Leaguer Pat Moynihan re opinions
                        SLU65

Comment

Congrats to Adam Fox on bringing back gold and serving up 3 assists in the final against Canada. Pretty gutsy performance after a tough game in the semi vs Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                            He will be back whether he plays tomorrow is another story. I can't see Donato playing him tomorrow having played 3 games in four days since Monday with the third game the gold medal game tonight.
                            You hope that's the case because we are facing you guys tonight. Adam did not take as many shifts as the other D. McAvoy and Jones got a lot of the minutes last night. So I expect that he will play tonight and skip tomorrow's game against Princeton.

Comment

Congrats to Adam Fox on bringing back gold and serving up 3 assists in the final against Canada. Pretty gutsy performance after a tough game in the semi vs Russia.
                              What a game. That OT was something else. Every player on every shift seem to leave it out there and then come back for more. Can't believe Torrey won both games in a shootout. That kid is fast becoming the TJ Oshie!

Comment

Another option for tonight for Adam would be to have Teddy dress seven D and only use Adam on the PP. Depends on how he feels. Don't want to risk injury at this stage but tonight's game is big.

Comment

Working...
                                X