Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

I know this is a hockey thread but the news today that the men's soccer schedule has been cancelled really leaves a black mark on the school. We're going to hear it from the Cornell crowd on Saturday, you can be sure of that. I'm just appalled that this type of behavior exists on campus. You'd think we would have moved past this type of neanderthal thought process but apparently that is not the case. From what I understand, there is still a problem with sexual harassment at the school and I'm glad that President Faust and the Deans are taking action. This simply cannot be tolerated. Ever.

Sorry but I had to air this because as an alum, I am saddened when news like this breaks. We're better than this.

Comment

Well if a tie is like kissing your sister, tonight's game was more like heavy necking in a parking lot and hoping you don't get caught. This was as one sided a game as you will ever see. Harvard came in waves all night and it wasn't until the third period that Colgate showed any semblance of an offense. The Raiders escaped with a tie because of Charlie Finn and a few missed opportunities by the Crimson staring at wide open nets. Ouch.

Some observations since there were only two goals:

Marino and Fox come as advertised. They are both offensively gifted and they see the ice better than D we have had since McNally. Simply put, they are studs.

Madsen still doesn't inspire confidence. He only saw 12 shots yet he could have stopped the Colgate goal and almost gave them two others by mishandling the puck with Raider forwards nearby. His side to side coverage is, well, awkward and he often looks out of position. Someone has to work with this kid on his technique. It isn't good enough.

As Bothman pointed out, our first two lines are pretty dynamic. The third and fourth lines can skate and create chances but are not skilled offensively. We're going to be playing a number of 3-2 games. Fortunately, our D is better than last year. Much better.

Anderson and Dumbrovsky are the weak link. Anderson in particular has really regressed as a player. Teddy didn't play them all that much in the first two periods but he was forced to play Anderson when Jake Olsen left the game in the third period. Not sure what happened.

Olsen wasn't the only injury of the night. Sean Malone exited the game in the third. Not sure about either one. Hopefully they are okay and will be back for tomorrow night. Otherwise it is probably Baughman and Floodstrand. Or Colton Kerfoot maybe?

Jimmy Vesey and Brayden Jaw were at the game tonight. The Rangers play the Bruins tomorrow night so it was great to see JV at the game. If you didn't know who he was, you'd think he was your average Harvard student attending a hockey game.

On to Cornell. Fortunately the Big Red played to a tie tonight as well. Should be a barn burner tomorrow night.

Comment

Don Vaughan said after the game that your 1-6 forwards are as good as any in the country, what a complement.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Was not at the game but watched most via Ivy League Digital:

- Harvard will be fine this year. They will outpossess, outspeed, and outskill just about every (if not every) team in the ECAC
          - They lost some great finishers, but they have some (ie, Donato and Moy) who need to find their groove which they will
          - Timing is everything and one can only wonder about last year with Fox and Marino in the mix. Both so calm and composed with the puck (though Marino's penalty was completely unnecessary that led to the PP goal...even though Madsen should never ave given up that goal)
          - Harvard's going to get a ton of PPs this season and I think as their PP goes, so goes Harvard. I think Harvard was 1/6 or 1/7 last night. I think Harvard will have some nights like this, but generally speaking, I think they can achieve a 25% rate
          - Harvard was shooting high and trying to be too perfect on too many shots last night. Get the puck low to create a rebound and then bury it. Harvard needs to get more pucks to the net. Make the extra pass to find the lane and then crash for the rebound goal.

- Madsen is going to have some games this year (like last night) where it is going to be very hard for him to stay focused. He saw no rubber last night and that is challenging for a goalie. He also needs to continue to work on his glove which has been his achillies.
          - Donato might have a bias for seniors, but I would sit Anderson. Also, why is he on PP #2? Makes absolutely no sense to have him in there over Marino. Maybe the coaches see something in practice, but having seen 3 games this year, something is not translating to the games

- Cornell is a team in transition. Trying to change from a team of pylons to a team of speed and skill. Cornell has one dangerous line, but unlike year's past, Gilliam does not have the pedigree of what Cornell has historically had. Those are admittedly lofty standards, but I don't think Gilliam would start for most of the ECAC teams, including Harvard.
          - Cornell will likely be on the PK a lot tonight given Harvard's edge in skill, speed, and possession so Harvard PP vs Cornell PK will likely be where this game is won or lost

Should be a great one tonight and wish I could be there.

Comment

Okay so we now know what the Harvard coaches will be working on this week. PK and to a lesser degree, the power play. Our PK is god awful at the moment. Need to shore it up quick before the trip to Hamden coming up next weekend.

Always good to beat Cornell but I thought we should have crushed them tonight. We just aren't converting our chances. Hopefully that changes in the coming weeks. And Madsen, well, I've said my peace. I'm not sold on him.

On to Princeton.

Comment

Harvard should have won by 4 goals tonight based on talent. Ugh!

- Madsen's lateral movement is horrendous. Formula for Cornell PP = make a cross ice pass and goal.
              - Harvard played way too loose, lots of sloppy stuff
              - Penalties were a joke. Donato gets called for a roughing for nothing? Olson gets called for a slash on a Cornell breakaway? He had his stick in one hand when he "slashed" the Cornell player

Harvard will be fine but need to tighten things up. Cornell is a .500 team this year (goaltender is woefully average by Cornell standards) and though a rivalry game, should have won going away tonight.

Comment

Gillam will be gone after this year, so enjoy the average goaltending while it lasts. One can only hope that a better goaltender is in the works for next season, but the issues run deeper than that obviously. Considering the injuries it's not the worst thing that this game and the one in Hanover the previous night were within 1 goal or less.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                  Harvard should have won by 4 goals tonight based on talent. Ugh!

- Madsen's lateral movement is horrendous. Formula for Cornell PP = make a cross ice pass and goal.
                  - Harvard played way too loose, lots of sloppy stuff
                  - Penalties were a joke. Donato gets called for a roughing for nothing? Olson gets called for a slash on a Cornell breakaway? He had his stick in one hand when he "slashed" the Cornell player

Harvard will be fine but need to tighten things up. Cornell is a .500 team this year (goaltender is woefully average by Cornell standards) and though a rivalry game, should have won going away tonight.
                  I don't think they'll be .500. If we played up to our standards, as you said, we should have won by four or five goals. We'll get there.

Yeah, the penalties were excessive. We always seem to get jobbed once or twice against them.
                  Last edited by Skate79; 11-12-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Scouting the enemy: Harvard Crimson

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...d-crimson.html
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                      Scouting the enemy: Harvard Crimson

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...d-crimson.html
                      Good write-up. Horton is a forward on the 3rd line so Harvard does not dress 7 defensemen.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                        Good write-up. Horton is a forward on the 3rd line so Harvard does not dress 7 defensemen.
                        Also Sherman is a junior

Comment

Watched the game tonight on Ivy League Digital:

- Princeton is much improved and has size and speed and is going to surprise people this year. I thought Princeton outplayed Harvard after 2 periods and it was not until the 3rd where Harvard really started to play its game
                          - Harvard really slept walked through the first 2 periods. Tons of neutral zone turnovers, way too much finesse instead of getting the puck deep. They really stepped it up in the 3rd and kept Princeton pinned in their zone for extended periods of time
                          - Harvard's 2nd line had a really poor game. Way too much individual moves and not enough teamwork. Looked out of sorts all night and I think Malone was benched for a shift or two in the 3rd
                          - Madsen had a good game. Saved Harvard's bacon a few times, especially early
                          - The 3rd D pairing is still struggling and could not clear the zone on Princeton's 1st goal
                          - Like to see Sherman play more phsyical and use that big body some more

On to Quinny - the house of horrors for Harvard over the last few years...

Comment

True but I think Jake can play on the blue line in a pinch if they needed him. Somewhere I think I read that he has played D prior to enrolling at Harvard.

Comment

- Princeton is much improved and has size and speed and is going to surprise people this year. I thought Princeton outplayed Harvard after 2 periods and it was not until the 3rd where Harvard really started to play its game
                              - Harvard really slept walked through the first 2 periods. Tons of neutral zone turnovers, way too much finesse instead of getting the puck deep. They really stepped it up in the 3rd and kept Princeton pinned in their zone for extended periods of time

I think the sleepwalking happens more often against teams that Harvard feels like they should beat just by stepping on to the ice. They need to understand that in any conference, you can't take even the weak teams lightly especially in their building.

I don't think sleepwalking is going to be a problem tonight after what happened at the ECAC tournament final last season. It's time for some payback.

Comment

- Harvard's 2nd line had a really poor game. Way too much individual moves and not enough teamwork. Looked out of sorts all night and I think Malone was benched for a shift or two in the 3rd
                                - Madsen had a good game. Saved Harvard's bacon a few times, especially early
                                - The 3rd D pairing is still struggling and could not clear the zone on Princeton's 1st goal

One other thing here is that Harvard has to work as a unit in the offensive zone. Too often, they are dumping the puck or skating the puck in, but their collective positioning is off, so it was easy for Princeton to get the puck and come the other way with speed.....putting Harvard's D on its heels.

Part of this was due to Princeton's speed (much faster than Cornell, Colgate, and ASU), but Harvard really needs to work as a cohesive unit as they skate the puck over the blue line and into the opponent's zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X