Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

All in all a great season. In Chicago, it was hard not to think this year was their best chance and that it would be hard to return to the Frozen Four very soon, particularly with the loss of some much of those top two lines. I think what I will miss the most is Mr. Kerfoot's passing / play making artistry. But who knows, with the strong defensemen coming in and with the Crimson being a bit more visible on the national radar screen. Study hard boys, aspire to play for Harvard. Certainly I'm going to renew our season tickets the fist day possible.
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 04-10-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      I just want to say how grateful I am for this Harvard team and the joy it brought this fan over the past 7 months. I never expected the outcomes that this year produced which made it even sweeter.

To the Seniors, thank you, and more specifically:

@Sean Malone - thanks for persevering through all of your injuries and finally getting a full season of health to display your talent. Such a knack for clutch goals

@ Tyler Moy - Was anyone in the ECAC better at cycling behind the net and firing the one timer from the low slot on the PP? Such improvement over your four years

@ Luke Esposito - Thank you for your grit, your chirp, and your willingness to play the body.....not to mention your ability to finish. Don't apologize for anything

@ Phil Zielonka - the best finisher in practice finally got a chance to show his stuff. Lot of mid-week sweat equity paid off and thank you for your readiness and patience

@ Alex Kerfoot - So smooth and unselfish, a heralded recruit who just kept getting better as the years went on. Vesey and Donato owe a lot to your vision

@ Clay Anderson - I was super tough on you over the years but you had a heck of a senior year and you didn't let the doubters/skeptics (like me) get the best of you.

@ Devin Tringale - Thank you for your leadership and your voice in the locker room and on the bench. It was always about Ws and what doesn't show up in the box score

The team will be different next year. Much more of a four line, lunch pail team, with a true top line (Donato+) and a very, very good defense and goalie. Finishing will be tougher, that is for sure, and the 5v5 will have to be better given the likely PP% dip. They will have to win many more 2-1 and 3-2 games next year. Likely not a NCAA team, but they could be and certainly should challenge for top 4 status in the ECAC. They bring in some recruits who will contribute - Jack Badini on offense (4th leading goal scorer in the USHL) and Reilly Walsh (best player in prep hockey this year and is a very good puck moving D Man who should step in for Clay Anderson to round out the Top 6). Other guys, especially on offense, will need to step up and in to the oppty given more playing time. F. Gregoire, C. Kerfoot, etc.

Of course there is risk. Paul Pearl will have plenty of oppty to be a head coach if he is interested. Donato and the Bruins could have conversations. And then there is always admissions. One of Denver's best puck movers (Adam Plante) ended up there due to being a late Harvard admissions casualty.

When we look beyond, the recruiting (admissions and MJ notwithstanding) gets really exciting. Bode Wilde, Marshall Warren, Oliver Wahlstrom, Jack Drury, John Farinacci, etc - point here, is this kind of talent makes Harvard a perennial Frozen Four, especially given the academic pedigree (greater likelihood of staying 3-4 years) and and less likelihood of the mercenaries who will opt for BU like Clayton Keller. Heck, Louis Leblanc is not that far in the rear view mirror and we all know how the story went for him. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.....

An amazing year was this. Ivy League Title, ECAC RS Title, Whitelaw, Beanpot, Frozen Four. 2 All Americans. Somebody pinch me! I think Harvard is back!
      In all honesty I think you'll be right up there, saw someone on the Clarkson board post this.......

Harvard - Esposito, Kerfoot, Moy, Malone, Anderson.....Harvard will bring in a solid class but from what I see all of the top recruits for Donato will be coming in 2018 or later.

Union - Vecchione, Taylor, Sak who had a great SR year for them in net, Foo (leaving early), DeSimone (leaving early)

Cornell - Buckles, Freschi Kubaik, Weidner, McCarron, Gillam, that's a lot of leadership although the younger Cornell players do have more skill but the grit is what wins them games.

SLU - Dahl, Hudson, Smolcynski, Bayreuther, Graham, Massella, Sweetman, a lot of leadership plus Hayton and Gluchowski will have NHL interest.

Quinnipiac - Connor Clifton, Tim Clifton, Schutt, Smith, Tiefenwerth, they bring back a lot of important juniors so we will see but I thought Q was average this year and are losing a lot of leadership.

Princeton - Phinney so they will have questions in goal but their backup did well in his showings so maybe he is the guy, they didn't have one SR in the double digit point totals and they will will return Cressey, Hallisey, Kuffner, Riche, Robinson, Veronneau, along with Teves and Topatigh on D, if they find a G they should be in the top 6 next season.

I'll just add Clarkson with Boucher, D'Arrisso, de Haas, Fossen, Josephs, add Vigneault leaving early, I'm obviously biased but I think/pray this years class will breakout and the class Clarkson is brining in should be top 2-3 in the ECAC.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
        In all honesty I think you'll be right up there, saw someone on the Clarkson board post this.......

Harvard - Esposito, Kerfoot, Moy, Malone, Anderson.....Harvard will bring in a solid class but from what I see all of the top recruits for Donato will be coming in 2018 or later.

Union - Vecchione, Taylor, Sak who had a great SR year for them in net, Foo (leaving early), DeSimone (leaving early)

Cornell - Buckles, Freschi Kubaik, Weidner, McCarron, Gillam, that's a lot of leadership although the younger Cornell players do have more skill but the grit is what wins them games.

SLU - Dahl, Hudson, Smolcynski, Bayreuther, Graham, Massella, Sweetman, a lot of leadership plus Hayton and Gluchowski will have NHL interest.

Quinnipiac - Connor Clifton, Tim Clifton, Schutt, Smith, Tiefenwerth, they bring back a lot of important juniors so we will see but I thought Q was average this year and are losing a lot of leadership.

Princeton - Phinney so they will have questions in goal but their backup did well in his showings so maybe he is the guy, they didn't have one SR in the double digit point totals and they will will return Cressey, Hallisey, Kuffner, Riche, Robinson, Veronneau, along with Teves and Topatigh on D, if they find a G they should be in the top 6 next season.

I'll just add Clarkson with Boucher, D'Arrisso, de Haas, Fossen, Josephs, add Vigneault leaving early, I'm obviously biased but I think/pray this years class will breakout and the class Clarkson is brining in should be top 2-3 in the ECAC.
        Yes, I think the Crimson will be an ECAC threat for the foreseeable future. That's really not enough anymore, however. There will always be Denvers and Duluths out there and when and if it all comes together again like this, I hope Harvard will be ready to get back in with the best of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
          Yes, I think the Crimson will be an ECAC threat for the foreseeable future. That's really not enough anymore, however. There will always be Denvers and Duluths out there and when and if it all comes together again like this, I hope Harvard will be ready to get back in with the best of them.
          If admissions allows those future recruits in then I would like to submit my bet that Harvard will be the next ECAC National Champion representative.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
            All in all a great season. In Chicago, it was hard not to think this year was their best chance and that it would be hard to return to the Frozen Four very soon, particularly with the loss of some much of those top two lines. I think what I will miss the most is Mr. Kerfoot's passing / play making artistry. But who knows, with the strong defensemen coming in and with the Crimson being a bit more visible on the national radar screen. Study hard boys, aspire to play for Harvard. Certainly I'm going to renew our season tickets the fist day possible.
            This was our best chance but I don't want to downplay the returning players or incoming recruits (albeit the NHL's decision not to go to South Korea will put Ryan Donato and Adam Fox squarely in the crosshairs of USA hockey as they fill out a team). I agree with Bothman that we should expect a down season next year but who among us expected a Frozen Four season this year? I didn't. And that's not because I didn't believe in the team. I just wasn't sure we could get that far. So you never know what might happen.

Of high importance is the shift in culture and perception. We now expect to go to the NCAA tournament and making the Frozen Four should be a goal, not a pipe dream. I believe that Vesey's class set the tone and the 2017 class took it to another level. And with Vesey skating with the Rangers and probably a few of this year's class looking forward to playing pro next year, that bodes well for recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              I agree with Bothman that we should expect a down season next year but who among us expected a Frozen Four season this year? I didn't. And that's not because I didn't believe in the team. I just wasn't sure we could get that far. So you never know what might happen.
              Got back from Chicago a few days ago after going to Providence (with my 10-year old) and Lake Placid. This team was going many extra miles for. found it easier to be a Harvard hockey fan this year than in 1989. Apart from their week off in January, the 2016-2017 team brought it every time they came on the ice. On off nights (Providence regional game), they found a way to win. They were professional, precise, disciplined, deadly.

In 1988-89, there was so much to worry about, the team had so much baggage. Despite their '80s near-dynasty, they had won exactly one tournament since the '81 Beanpot if I'm not mistaken: The ECACs in 1987. The Boston Gardan was Harvard's house of horrors. They couldn't win big games; couldn't even get to the Beanpot. First loss at Yale. Red flag. Another house of horrors. Would they fail to get over the same humps again? Then they won the Beanpot. Ok, this year might be different: Then UVM. The Garden again. Ugh! De ja vu. And who really knew how good they were? The ECAC was relatively weak at the time.

2016-2017 was a model of consistency and reliability. Their unbeaten and winning streaks were longer than 1988-89's. They hit 6 out of 7 of their milestones: Beanpot, Clearly Cup, Ivy League, ECACs, first NCAA win since 1994, Harvard's first 4-team regional ever. The lack of experience in big games didn't stop them.

Why did they lose in the semis? A goal disallowed with audio review not working, Donato's skate failing with 5 mins left (ever hear of that? both flukes), the post, the crossbar -- felt like the Universe, the hockey Gods, whatever, were saying, "It's not your turn." '86. Losing Fusco in the semis, playing on Friday night. Sorry, not your turn. There were three equally great teams in Chicago. Simple math: Two of them couldn't be nationally champions. In '89, Minnesota hit the post in overtime. Their coach talked about being "a quarter of an inch from a national championship." Was Harvard a better team than Minnesota? That game was dead even. Hockey is a game of inches, flukes, bounces, judgment calls. That was the UMD game.

You can't argue with a national championship, and why would you? Ultimately, that takes the cake. All the more significant because they finally slayed their demons But this year? An absolute joy. What a year, and what a three-year stretch for Harvard hockey. This program was dysfunctional for nearly two decades - not gelling till the end of seasons (sometimes), losing records, underperforming and underdeveloping their overall talent. It was maddening. The program now seems as solid now as it's every been. Harvard was the unequivocal Beast of the East. It's been a long and wayward journey back. Amen to that. Thank you team for an amazing season!

Comment

Harvard recruit Oliver Wahlstrom, the youngest player on the US U-18 team (he turns 17 in June) scored two goals today vs. Belarus at the Under 18 Worlds, playing on the U.S.'s top line.

And before anyone else mentions it, yes, it does seem like his name was plucked out of the pages of Love Story.

Edit: Highlights of goals at 1:14 mark and 1:36 mark. https://vimeo.com/213402280

He's been quiet though the past two games against Russia and Czech Republic (best chance being a penalty shot after a partial breakaway, but he had it poked away)
                Last edited by alslammerz; 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM.
                Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                Go Crimson!

Comment

4faz and Bothman summed up the season well. I have always been cynical about Harvard hockey after 20+ years as a season ticket holder; too many games where the teams gave little effort or collapsed, and did not buy into the team until they won the Beanpot. Although the final game had a disappointing outcome, this team played hard all year, and had few off nights. Madsen kept them in games, especially the first five minutes of the Providence game, and I look forward to watching him next year. We were on the other end from the Harvard section, where the team entered and exited the ice, and they received a nice ovation from neutral or UMD fans as they left the ice. All you can ask for is a team you are proud to support and this team was.

Comment

Looks like Harvard just picked up a 2002 forward (left shot) recruit from the midwest - Hunter Longhi. Is a 2020 recruit so 3 years out.

Comment

Wahlstrom with another two goals today against Sweden as the US finishes up the group stages undefeated. He now leads the US in goals scored with 4.

Here's the first goal: https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/statu...36937460674560

I'll post the 2nd if it gets tweeted out but it was a nice PP goal from in tight.
                      Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by 4faz View Post
                        In 1988-89, there was so much to worry about, the team had so much baggage. Despite their '80s near-dynasty, they had won exactly one tournament since the '81 Beanpot if I'm not mistaken: The ECACs in 1987. The Boston Gardan was Harvard's house of horrors. They couldn't win big games; couldn't even get to the Beanpot. First loss at Yale. Red flag. Another house of horrors. Would they fail to get over the same humps again? Then they won the Beanpot. Ok, this year might be different: Then UVM. The Garden again. Ugh! De ja vu. And who really knew how good they were? The ECAC was relatively weak at the time.
                        They won the ECAC tournament in '83. Beat Providence in the final 4-1. They went to the national championship game against Chris Chelios and the Badgers and lost unfortunately but went farther than any of us thought they would at the time. That season put us on the national map. The series against Michigan State at Bright was the loudest I have ever heard the rink. Bar none. Derek Bok agreed. He was there.

2016-2017 was a model of consistency and reliability. Their unbeaten and winning streaks were longer than 1988-89's. They hit 6 out of 7 of their milestones: Beanpot, Clearly Cup, Ivy League, ECACs, first NCAA win since 1994, Harvard's first 4-team regional ever. The lack of experience in big games didn't stop them.
                        True but the '89 national championship team lost only three games. And we beat Minnesota in their barn for the crown. That is saying something. That team was loaded with six or seven NHL draft picks and others who could have played in the NHL.

You can't argue with a national championship, and why would you? Ultimately, that takes the cake. All the more significant because they finally slayed their demons But this year? An absolute joy. What a year, and what a three-year stretch for Harvard hockey. This program was dysfunctional for nearly two decades - not gelling till the end of seasons (sometimes), losing records, underperforming and underdeveloping their overall talent. It was maddening. The program now seems as solid now as it's every been. Harvard was the unequivocal Beast of the East. It's been a long and wayward journey back. Amen to that. Thank you team for an amazing season!
                        No question this season was a treat and a half. The first two lines were something to watch. Marino and Fox gave us a glimpse of a tremendous future at Bright-Landry. And Ryan Donato keeps growing into a man child who refuses to back down. His playoff performance was special.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                          Wahlstrom with another two goals today against Sweden as the US finishes up the group stages undefeated. He now leads the US in goals scored with 4.

Here's the first goal: https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/statu...36937460674560

I'll post the 2nd if it gets tweeted out but it was a nice PP goal from in tight.
                          He looks like a combo of CJ Young and Tyler Moy. Can't wait!

Comment

Banquet wrap: Jake Horton, Merrick Madsen and Eddie Ellis named captains for next season.

http://gocrimson.com/sports/mice/201...20170419dnxuw4

Comment

Wahlstrom and the U.S. team won the gold medal. He finished with 4 goals - 2 2-goal games.

He also delivered a big hit in the gold medal game that cost him 2 and 10 even though in the NCAA it would likely not have been a call. Impressive since he was the youngest player but he certainly more than held his own physically.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

Henry Thrun, Marshall Warren, and Sean Farrell make the USNDT. Farinacci was only Harvard recruit invited who did not make team.
                                Last edited by bothman; 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X