Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    Going 2-0 at the North Country against two very quality North Country teams....can't think of a great way to go into a well-earned break.

What a weekend!
    Tremendous. What a statement win last night. Could actually have been a larger margin of victory if Donato and others converted their chances. But hey, no matter. Bring on RPI after Christmas break.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      Fox is something else indeed. Would like to see some production from the third and fourth lines. That concerns me a bit.
      As UVM was off I tuned in for a bit to this game. Fox was fun to watch, really good at carrying the puck out of the zone.

Comment

Great win tonight. Kerfoot played a great game. Team came out strong in the third period and the power play was consistent. The SLU announcers, especially the color guy, made me laugh. Have they ever called a game before? The color guy sounds like someone from "The Sopranos".

On to Cheel and the Golden Knights. Man a sweep would be sweet before exams.
        Apropos of Socrates' comments re ignorance that is an interesting comments about Joe Marsh - a former coach of the year who has no doubt forgotten more about hockey than most of us will ever know. Plus he is frequently called upon to address hockey gatherings in his native MA. By the by, he reportedly turned down the Harvard job some years back
        SLU65

Comment

A couple of prospect notes:
          - Reilly Walsh is going to play his senior year at Proctor, after a successful stint with the Chicago Steel out of the USHL. I'm not sure what his longer term plans are, but given that he is a '99, I think it will be interesting to see if he comes to Harvard in 2017. He is scheduled to come in 2018.
          - Ditto for RJ Murphy in terms of moving from the USHL back to St Sebs
          - Oliver Wahlstrom and Bode Wilde (both slated for 2018) are excelling on the U-17 National Team. Fingers crossed that they end up at Harvard and not MJ (they will be highly coveted). Many assume that Bode will play up with the U-18 National Team by the end of the year
          - See if anyone can catch a St Marks game this year. Henry Thurn (d) and Sean Farrell (F) are two frosh who are very heralded and are very strong candidates for the National Team in 2 years
          - Harvard has a lot of players earmarked for 2018. Not sure how all of them will matriculate. Be interesting to see how things evolve over the next 2 years as people move up and down, folks take their boards, etc.

Comment

Also, Adam Fox invited to the World Junior Camp. Fox, who could already be the best puck moving defenseman in college hockey as a frosh, likely will make the team to QB the PP. Fox needs to work on his size and skating, but in terms of helping the team break out of the zone and transition quickly from defense to offense, he's about as good as it gets.

He is averaging over 1.4 pts/gm and has the best +/- on the team.

Assuming Team USA performs well and Fox makes the team, Harvard could be without his services for the games against RPI and Quinny at Bright on Jan 5th & 6th.
            Last edited by bothman; 12-06-2016, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
              Apropos of Socrates' comments re ignorance that is an interesting comments about Joe Marsh - a former coach of the year who has no doubt forgotten more about hockey than most of us will ever know. Plus he is frequently called upon to address hockey gatherings in his native MA. By the by, he reportedly turned down the Harvard job some years back
              Look, I was reacting to what I heard. And honestly, he didn't sound like a hockey coach calling the game. I respect Marsh as much as anyone. He always had his teams ready to play. But I did professional broadcasting for ten years so I know a little bit about the profession and my comments were not off base. Too bad if you disagree.

Comment

Next year is going to be a down year if the players you mention don't matriculate. Of course it will mean that 2018 will be a loaded team so maybe we will have to bite the bullet for one season to get back into the national picture. What the heck, better to focus on the present. So far, so great.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                  Also, Adam Fox invited to the World Junior Camp. Fox, who could already be the best puck moving defenseman in college hockey as a frosh, likely will make the team to QB the PP. Fox needs to work on his size and skating, but in terms of helping the team break out of the zone and transition quickly from defense to offense, he's about as good as it gets.

He is averaging over 1.4 pts/gm and has the best +/- on the team.

Assuming Team USA performs well and Fox makes the team, Harvard could be without his services for the games against RPI and Quinny at Bright on Jan 5th & 6th.
                  RPI I'm not worried about. Quinny would be tough without him. We'll manage. Where's Vic Newell?? Would he be next up?

Comment

This long December break from Crimson hockey is always tough.

Harvard now up to #4/5 in the meaningless polls, without playing. Silly. Slipped out of top 4 tie pairwise, though. And yes it's so early yet.

Adam Fox has made it much harder for me to convince my Mite sons to pause inside the opponent's blue line when they are playing D.

Again resisting the temptation to buy NCAA Regional tickets on the glass to put in the kids' stockings. Manchester offerings much better than Providence. I think I can allow the kids to talk about pond hockey and a bobsled run at Lake Placid, though. I'm only a little stitious.
                    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 12-17-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                      This long December break from Crimson hockey is always tough.

Harvard now up to #4/5 in the meaningless polls, without playing. Silly. Slipped out of top 4 tie pairwise, though. And yes it's so early yet.

Adam Fox has made it much harder for me to convince my Mite sons to pause inside the opponent's blue line when they are playing D.

Again resisting the temptation to buy NCAA Regional tickets on the glass to put in the kids' stockings. Manchester offerings much better than Providence. I think I can allow the kids to talk about pond hockey and a bobsled run at Lake Placid, though. I'm only a little stitious.
                      The bobsled run is worth every penny. Reserve it now.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Congrats to Adam Fox for making the Word Jr team!

Comment

Look, I was reacting to what I heard. And honestly, he didn't sound like a hockey coach calling the game. I respect Marsh as much as anyone. He always had his teams ready to play. But I did professional broadcasting for ten years so I know a little bit about the profession and my comments were not off base. Too bad if you disagree.
                          Have you ever been to Appleton or to Canton, NY?? Understand a couple of things. It is 375 miles from Cambridge to Canton......sociologically it is it like going back 50 years. Understand that first you are listening to a "radio" broadcast......played on top of the live video feed. (and for free unlike most of the Ivy's who have more money in their endowments than Trump and his cabinet combined.)
                          When the radio goes on commercial break, the mikes stay live and you will hear conversations not meant for being on air. Most of them are pretty funny and run the gamut from saying hello to people walking by the booth, to whatever is on the announcers mind (unedited.) Second........Joe Marsh is an ex-hockey coach and has no radio broadcasting experience. Unlike most people he readily admits and jokes about being challenged by technology or being on the air. Lastly as a person those of us who know Joe know he is one of the funniest people on the face of the earth. So far this year we have heard many "gems" including when the referee's were giving multiple and many hand gestures Joe saying......... "I'm not sure what he is calling but I'm pretty sure he just waived in and landed a plane at Appleton!" Our broadcasts are imperfect, folksy, using non professional announcers (unlike Q Pac who has enough money to hire ex CBS radio guys and ex-NHL players) and we like them that way.
                          SLU

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            Congrats to Adam Fox for making the Word Jr team!
                            You were right about him, having very good year

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                              Have you ever been to Appleton or to Canton, NY?? Understand a couple of things. It is 375 miles from Cambridge to Canton......sociologically it is it like going back 50 years. Understand that first you are listening to a "radio" broadcast......played on top of the live video feed. (and for free unlike most of the Ivy's who have more money in their endowments than Trump and his cabinet combined.)
                              When the radio goes on commercial break, the mikes stay live and you will hear conversations not meant for being on air. Most of them are pretty funny and run the gamut from saying hello to people walking by the booth, to whatever is on the announcers mind (unedited.) Second........Joe Marsh is an ex-hockey coach and has no radio broadcasting experience. Unlike most people he readily admits and jokes about being challenged by technology or being on the air. Lastly as a person those of us who know Joe know he is one of the funniest people on the face of the earth. So far this year we have heard many "gems" including when the referee's were giving multiple and many hand gestures Joe saying......... "I'm not sure what he is calling but I'm pretty sure he just waived in and landed a plane at Appleton!" Our broadcasts are imperfect, folksy, using non professional announcers (unlike Q Pac who has enough money to hire ex CBS radio guys and ex-NHL players) and we like them that way.
                              No I have never been to Canton or Appleton but my nephew has as he was recruited by SLU. And he was very disappointed in the rink and the facilities. To say nothing of the haul to get up there.

My comments had nothing to do with Appleton or Canton or the way the broadcasts are technically produced. As someone who has been a college and pro broadcaster and who did college hockey, I was merely observing what sounded to me like less than even a student broadcast with comments that didn't sound like someone who was observing what was going on down on the ice. I'm not knocking Joe Marsh personally or questioning his knowledge of the game. And maybe his folksy style plays well up North. It just came as a bit of a surprise to me that's all. And honestly, it wasn't a great broadcast. Just calling' it the way I heard it.

Comment

So tonight's game had the feel of a scrimmage. I'm sure RPI fans will disagree but that's what it felt like. Harvard was never really threatened in this game as they pretty much did what they had to do to win. Not that it was an artistic success and we were somewhat sloppy in our zone. Maybe lazy is a better word. Probably a combo of the time off and the opponent.

Takeaways from the game:

1. All four lines got into the scoring column with Eddie Ellis and Tyler Pelton-Byce netting their first goals of the season. Our depth really showed as RPI concentrated heavily on trying to take out our first line (literally as Alexander Kerfoot and Ryan Donato took some shots in this game that were borderline cheap).

2. Clay Anderson had one of his better games as did Madsen. The shot that beat Madsen was clean and would have beaten most goalies.

3. We took some cheap penalties and our D got caught out of position or leaning the wrong way a few times that led to RPI scoring chances. Again, most likely due to the layoff.

4. I don't know who coaches RPI's D but whoever he is, he needs a refresher course. I lost count of how many times Engineer D left Harvard forwards wide open in front of Hackett.

5. And, as usual, RPI had to resort to the rough stuff getting really chippy by the third period because they don't have the skill or speed to stay with us. I guess this is the only way Appert knows how to coach. Pretty disappointing and one reason why they are buried in last place.

Big weekend next week with the Bobcats coming to town. Time for some payback.

Comment

Working...
                                X