ESPN sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN sucks

Bucci deservedly gets credit for being a true college hockey supporter. Luckily for ESPN, Melrose has his head up his a $$, otherwise you'd never fit those two mellons in the same broadcast booth.
    Fight on Sioux

Comment

Originally posted by STS View Post
      Bucci deservedly gets credit for being a true college hockey supporter. Luckily for ESPN, Melrose has his head up his a $$, otherwise you'd never fit those two mellons in the same broadcast booth.
      I know some that don't do the twitter, and that is where Bucci really shines. VERY active and responsive.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I know some that don't do the twitter, and that is where Bucci really shines. VERY active and responsive.
        Agree 100%, his shtick can get a little old at times, but he does much more good than bad.
        Fight on Sioux

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Just don't ever criticize him or he'll call you a "sad man" while claiming he "weeps" for you and he'll make sure everyone can see it, which is always amusing. The guy is a shameless self promoter. Everything ultimately comes back to being about him as he wants oh so hard to look cool and get a lot of praise, and many lap it up like the social media lapdogs they are. If he's what is considered quality media these days...it explains a lot about the current state of numerous things.

Regardless of all that and in a completely separate vein, he's an absolutely horrid play-by-play guy and always has been. He'd be much better as a color guy.
          I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
            Just don't ever criticize him or he'll call you a "sad man" while claiming he "weeps" for you and he'll make sure everyone can see it, which is always amusing. The guy is a shameless self promoter. Everything ultimately comes back to being about him as he wants oh so hard to look cool and get a lot of praise, and many lap it up like the social media lapdogs they are. If he's what is considered quality media these days...it explains a lot about the current state of numerous things.

Regardless of all that and in a completely separate vein, he's an absolutely horrid play-by-play guy and always has been. He'd be much better as a color guy.
            My issue is how he tries to shove his hockey fandom down our throats. You don't have to call a stick a twig, you don't have to call it a twisted writer every ... single ... time. We get it, you like hockey. Moderation.

Comment

I am unable to watch the championship live, so I want to be sure i record the correct channel. The Guide on my tv says the game is on ESPN, as do some ESPN associated website, yet a couple college hockey sites says it is on ESPN2. Do we know for sure it is on ESPN2, and not ESPN?

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                So Buccigross complains about QU first goal which was a delayed offsides...it was correctly called according to the rule book on page 76

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH16.pdf
                They went back and corrected it at the end of the night. Rule 86.2 makes the goalie playing the puck a delayed offside rather than an automatic one.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  I am unable to watch the championship live, so I want to be sure i record the correct channel. The Guide on my tv says the game is on ESPN, as do some ESPN associated website, yet a couple college hockey sites says it is on ESPN2. Do we know for sure it is on ESPN2, and not ESPN?
                  Yes. The Golden State Warriors pursue history on ESPN. The game was not originally scheduled on ESPN but that was changed this week.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    Don't forget that the 2012 semi-final between FSU and Union was relegated to ESPNU. I believe 17 people watched that one on TV. Sarcasm aside, the estimated # of viewers was around 150,000, perhaps a quarter of the estimated viewers of most of the semi-final broadcasts of the last few years. Now moving a game from ESPN or ESPN2 to ESPNU meant a lot of people who perhaps would have watched did not, but moving one from ESPN to ESPN 2 will not cost more than a handful of viewers the chance to see the game, as ESPN2 is in virtually the same number of homes as is ESPN. At the beginning of the 2015/16 TV season ESPN was in 92.94 million homes versus 92.85 million for ESPN2, a difference of fewer than 100,000 homes. Based on the numbers of people who normally watch the final on Saturday night, this means there may be a few hundred people in the entire country who might have watched but will have no access. Other than perception, there stopped being a real difference between ESPN and ESPN2 years ago. That perception is the ONLY reason something like Monday Night Football remains on ESPN.
                    Hey...I was one of those 17 people!

At first, the whole switch to ESPN2 bugged me because "There they go again...promoting a somewhat meaningless NBA game instead of a championship game". As has been pointed out, it doesn't matter THAT much. The majority of people will still get to see the game. It does irk me that they needed to shift things around for a game that MAY only have implications for historical purposes.
                    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

• Re: ESPN sucks

2 things about the semi's

1) They sure seemed to focus more on "BC's comeback hopes" rather than QC holding them off. I got the sense they wanted to say "This is the most disrespected #1 overall seed ever" at the same time portraying them beating BC as some sort of upset

2) So they actually said that NoDak will be wearing the white Jerseys on Saturday and QC will wear the dark blue/gold???

UHHHH GUYS, I always appreciate intelligent uniform talk, but in NCAA college hockey (with 2nd half of NCHC excepted), the ROAD team wears the darker jerseys, NoDak is 3, QC is the 1. They completely gomered that up and even doubled down on it.

Full time hockey guys like Ben Holden would never make that mistake and this goes beyond the On-Air announcers down to the production staff/meeting/general overall knowledge of 'cawlidge hawkey'
                      Last edited by billmich88888; 04-08-2016, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        They went back and corrected it at the end of the night. Rule 86.2 makes the goalie playing the puck a delayed offside rather than an automatic one.
                        but it appears that the QC player never fully "tagged up"

Comment

• Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                          but it appears that the QC player never fully "tagged up"
                          It looks like the rule says touch the line

From the rule book

86.1 Offside - Players of an attacking team must not precede the puck into the
                          attacking zone.
                          A player is offside when both skates are completely over the outer edge of
                          the blue line involved in the play at the instant the puck completely crosses
                          the outer edge of that line.
                          The position of the player’s skates and not that of the stick shall be the
                          determining factor in all instances deciding an offside.
                          A player is onside when either of the skates is in contact with or on the
                          player’s own side of the line at the instant the puck completely crosses the
                          outer edge of that line. A player in full control of the puck who crosses the
                          blue line ahead of the puck shall not be considered offside.
                          While the position of the player’s skates is what determines whether a
                          player is offside, the question of offside never arises until the puck completely
                          has crossed the outer edge of the line.
                          If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his or her own
                          defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in that defending
                          zone, the offside shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.
                          If the puck is intercepted cleanly by a member of the defending team and
                          is carried or passed by the player’s team into the neutral zone, the offside shall
                          be ignored and play permitted to continue, even if a member of the attacking
                          team has preceded the puck into the attacking zone. (Officials shall carry out
                          this rule by means of the slow whistle.)

86.2 Delayed Offside - If an attacking player precedes the puck, which is shot,
                          passed or deflected into the attacking zone, but a defending player is able
                          to play the puck, the official shall signal a delayed offside.
                          SECTION 10 / Game Flow 73
                          The official shall drop the arm to nullify the offside violation and allow
                          play to continue if:
                          1. The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone;
                          or
                          2. All attacking players in the attacking zone clear the zone by making
                          skate contact with the attacking blue line.
                          If the attacking team does not clear the attacking zone, the official shall
                          stop play for the offside violation if any attacking player touches the puck,
                          or attempts to gain possession of a loose puck while the puck is still in the
                          attacking zone, or forces the defending puck carrier farther back into the
                          attacking zone.
                          The attacking zone must be completely clear of attacking players before
                          a delayed offside can be nullified with the puck still in the attacking zone.
                          Whenever a defensive player gains possession of the puck on a delayed
                          offside, play should not be stopped when that player has a clear opening for
                          advancing the puck.
                          If a puck is shot on goal during a delayed offside, the play shall be allowed
                          to continue under the normal clearing the zone rules. Should the puck enter
                          the defending team’s goal during a delayed offside, either directly or off the
                          goalkeeper, a player or an on-ice official, the goal shall be disallowed. The
                          fact that the attacking team may have cleared the zone prior to the puck
                          entering the goal has no bearing on this ruling.
                          The only way an attacking team can score a goal on a delayed offside
                          situation is if the defending team shoots or puts the puck into their own net
                          without action or contact by the offending team.
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                            My issue is how he tries to shove his hockey fandom down our throats. You don't have to call a stick a twig, you don't have to call it a twisted writer every ... single ... time. We get it, you like hockey. Moderation.
                            Some of my favorite people are twisted writers!! (Right XYZ?)
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

More controversy....

Did the NoDak center handle the puck with his hand on the last faceoff that led to the ENG? We looked at the replay a number of times and it is verrryyyy close to being a minor penalty.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

He know s the game and may be very good in print, but he is a lousy TV play-by-play guy. ESPN should do some homework and go for more than just a name that die-hards may know. How about getting a polished, accomplished TV announcer with hockey knowledge instead of the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                                X