Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think those are among the five most important realizations about life. Though none of his points require the God hypothesis.

Much of the misreading of atheists by people of faith is they assume that without faith one or more of those axioms falls. We might understand one another better if we accepted that whatever story we've come up with the explain things, naturalistic or supernaturalistic, we are at heart all dealing with the same set of issues. Much like Democrats and Republicans, the metaphysics is just an accident of birth and influences -- our hardware and software all encounter the same intractable conditions.

I would alter them slightly:

1. Life is hard.
    2. Your life is not primarily about you.
    3. Nobody is in control.
    4. Nothing is that important.
    5. You are going to die.
    There are many clichés associated with cancer survival, but as on who survived when the prospects were a little dim, I can say it has a grounding, calming effect. I think that feeling comes in part from being reminded of the conditions you cite. Not an awakening or an epiphany--just an increased awareness of basic concepts one already understands to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I'll give the Bible this: you can't understand anything in western literature or art from 400-1900 without knowing your Bible stories. I wish I was at least minimally competent at Biblical literacy.

I took this Bible Test and got only 61%: http://www.quizrocket.com/online-bible-quiz
      That's cause we're Catholic. We don't read the Bible, that's what priests are for.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        That's cause we're Catholic. We don't read the Bible, that's what priests are for.
        Our 10 Commandments (like the Psalms used to) differ in the numbering scheme.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

88%. Not bad considering I haven't opened a Bible in about 20 years.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...begins-when-s/

Let there be light.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Religions get started like this more frequently than we would like to think.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I came across an interesting article recently that suggests that the question "does God exist?" is nonsensical from a practical standpoint.

Rather, the better question is, "can belief in a Deity give a selective advantage to the believer?"

which in turn helps reinforce something I always suspected: whether belief in a Deity is the right thing for you personally, or not, does not necessarily apply to anyone else.

I don't really care whether you believe in a Deity or not, nor do I care much which organized form of religion, if any, you adhere to. If it works for you, that's great; I wouldn't expect what works for me would necessarily work for you or not, and the converse also is applicable.

I think it is this element that makes (that subset of) atheists who denigrate others' belief in religion so annoying. Why would it bother you so much what someone else believes is right for them? You can't even offer them salvation as an inducement to adopt your worldview!
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  I came across an interesting article recently that suggests that the question "does God exist?" is nonsensical from a practical standpoint.

Rather, the better question is, "can belief in a Deity give a selective advantage to the believer?"

which in turn helps reinforce something I always suspected: whether belief in a Deity is the right thing for you personally, or not, does not necessarily apply to anyone else.

I don't really care whether you believe in a Deity or not, nor do I care much which organized form of religion, if any, you adhere to. If it works for you, that's great; I wouldn't expect what works for me would necessarily work for you or not, and the converse also is applicable.

I think it is this element that makes (that subset of) atheists who denigrate others' belief in religion so annoying. Why would it bother you so much what someone else believes is right for them? You can't even offer them salvation as an inducement to adopt your worldview!
                  Well said.

In fact, I would extend that point to the benefits of the average non believer evaluating the role faith might play for themselves. As in...if anyone is truly interested in the welfare of others, wouldn't that person want and encourage a non believer to evaluate faith to see if it can truly improve their life? If so, then why do atheists spend so much energy trying to discourage others from the potential of improving their lives? In the end, where are atheist priorities?
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Well said.

In fact, I would extend that point to the benefits of the average non believer evaluating the role faith might play for themselves. As in...if anyone is truly interested in the welfare of others, wouldn't that person want and encourage a non believer to evaluate faith to see if it can truly improve their life? If so, then why do atheists spend so much energy trying to discourage others from the potential of improving their lives? In the end, where are atheist priorities?
                    Please tell me you didn't just argue that "religious people trying to convert others are awesome because they're helpful, but atheists trying to get people to see things their way are just selfish *****s."

Please tell me I misinterpreted your logic.

Comment

One guess would be: truth.

But there are a few things wrong with your question. First off, you greatly overestimate the amount of energy 99% of atheists spend in discouraging people from their faith. We do say things like, "there is no God," but that's simply an empirical observation. Are people of faith "discouraging atheists" with the endless litany of references to supernaturalism in their daily lives? No, they're just speaking from their worldview. As are we.

Secondly, magical thinking is a notoriously bad way of trying to make sense of the world. Even granting that it offer solace in times of tremendous suffering, perhaps those times of suffering wouldn't happen quite so much if they started taking rational rather than supernatural approaches to life? It is worth considering, anyway.

Finally, I can only speak from personal experience, but non believers learn very young that they live in a world where people take their superstitions very seriously, and it is Very Bad Form to challenge anything to do with faith. The threat of violence by the mob against the "other" is always there, so we learn to let the kids believe in Santa and leave them alone. If you contrast the torrent of religious imagery with the trickle of atheist imagery, you might realize the tremendous difference in power and pressure. However the very ubiquity of religious symbology makes it fade into the background for most believers. Contemporaries didn't notice that Amos and Andy was racist because that's just the way blacks were portrayed. Likewise, believers have very little inkling of what it is to be an atheist and essentially be surrounded by irrational, potentially dangerous, sleep walkers. Trust me: we have no interest in waking you up.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Please tell me you didn't just argue that "religious people trying to convert others are awesome because they're helpful, but atheists trying to get people to see things their way are just selfish *****s."

That's how I read it too. Because all atheists are selfish, like my buddy who organized the charity hockey tournament that we played last weekend. Or my other buddy who organizes a different charity to help the U of MN's heart disease program. All of us are selfish prigs without any sort of empathy for our common man.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          That's how I read it too. Because all atheists are selfish, like my buddy who organized the charity hockey tournament that we played last weekend. Or my other buddy who organizes a different charity to help the U of MN's heart disease program. All of us are selfish prigs without any sort of empathy for our common man.
                          Degree of religiosity is independent of how good or bad a person is. For every person of faith who uses that philosophy to do good there's another who hides behind it to justify evil. Likewise, levelheadedness when it comes to viewing superstition is no guarantee of being a good person.

This makes perfect sense because religiosity (or its lack) is autobiographical, not rational. Star-bellied Sneeches take their stars from their parents or pastors -- they have nothing to do with being an ethical person.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Yes, you did. Faith does bring something to the table for many...atheism needs to do the same (Kep has advanced something on that) if it wants to be a viable path.

Learning is typically good...soul searching is also. Don't you agree?

I would encourage someone to evaluate both faith based and non faith based paths if it can help them (hoping for better outcomes is part of the golden rule). Maybe I'm wrong, but atheists do spend a lot of energy trying to make sure people don't do this type of soul searching.

Don't walk away...tell me if I'm wrong.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

You're wrong.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but atheists do spend a lot of energy trying to make sure people don't do this type of soul searching.
                                You are wrong. Atheists are probably far more given to that type of self-scrutiny. With religion most believers check the box marked "what is it to be a good person?" pass Go, and collect $200 and eternal life. Without a check box, atheists have to craft and live our own philosophy and in so doing have to continually face foundational questions of good and bad, right and wrong.

Religious people are using an app. Atheists are building an app. Religious people are taught how to be a good person from one perspective. Atheists explore what goodness is.

Now, nothing prevents religious people from thinking outside the box and educating themselves on other perspectives, and teasing out the differences and commonalities. But that is not required to live a good life under their system. It's extra effort which many (most?) are not interested in. Atheists can't get out of it -- we start with a clean sheet and have to write our story ourselves.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X