Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    You're making my point for me.

"People of the Book? More like Pen-ses of the Book, amirite?!"

I wonder if the Sutras and the Vedas teach men to sh-t all over women, too. I have a feeling this is a monkey brain thing, not a Western thing.
    Show me a culture in which men did not subvert women's rights or power within society until the last 150 years or so. The Chinese bound women's feet for beauty (B as in B, S as in S). The Japanese had their traditions which hit a peak with geishas. The number of historically matriarchal societies in this world could probably be counted on a single hand.

I'll hold the line while you find one.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Show me a culture in which men did not subvert women's rights or power within society until the last 150 years or so. The Chinese bound women's feet for beauty (B as in B, S as in S). The Japanese had their traditions which hit a peak with geishas. The number of historically matriarchal societies in this world could probably be counted on a single hand.

Well, if you believe Reay Tannahill...
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        enslave us up to the year 6565, eh?
        One of the worst songs ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

So you're saying that at our current rate, women will completely run the world sometime around 5017?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            One of the worst songs ever.
            Great reference to it in Alien 3, however.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

CREATION OR EVOLUTION?
              What does the Church have to say?

"We cannot say: 'creation or evolution', inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities.

The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God (Gn 2:7), does not in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are.

And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe biological developments. But in so doing it cannot explain where the 'project' of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature.

To that extent we are faced here with two complementary - rather than mutually exclusive - realities."

Benedict XVI.
              ('In the Beginning...')
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'll be honest. I really don't get your hard-on for the placeholder pope, especially compared to his immediate predecessor and successor.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  I'll be honest. I really don't get your hard-on for the placeholder pope, especially compared to his immediate predecessor and successor.
                  He was arch-conservative on most matters of faith. He permitted open celebration of the Tridentine Mass that had been disavowed, or celebrated behind closed doors by older priests, since the reign of Paul VI. He wore some of the old, fancy-schmancy Papal attire that had previously been mothballed (I was a bit surprised that he never hauled one of the Papal Tiaras out of storage).

Those were more than enough to get older Catholics nostalgic for the pre-VII era excited.

Comment

Joseph Ratzinger is a brilliant theologian. Traditionalist, yes. His sermon at the funeral of St. JP2 on the dictatorship of relativism was 100% spot on. His writings on the Liturgy are prophetic and his preaching/writings on Vatican II in context of the whole Church history are a must read.

I believe it was him that said "Truth does not depend on a majority vote."

His greatest achievement though may have been the establishment of the Anglican Ordnariate. They will be the spark that revitalizes the Mass.

The present Pope is mercurial. He just wiped out the Sovereignty of the Knights of Malta with a move that should make V.V. Putin envious and illegal under canon law. He has surrounded himself with sycophants. He's an intellectual lightweight compared to his immediate 2 predecessors.

But we've survived bad popes before. We have Christ's promise to rely on.

St. Pope John XXIII was a caretaker Pope, too. It is too bad cancer claimed him before V2 really started.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Interesting piece on Vatican politics.

TL;DR? There are many conservative factions of the Church that do NOT like Pope Francis, and this is just the latest example of him stepping on their toes.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Interesting piece on Vatican politics.

TL;DR? There are many conservative factions of the Church that do NOT like Pope Francis, and this is just the latest example of him stepping on their toes.

The Knights of Malta are a Sovereignty-they issue their own passports and are recognized as a Sovereignty by ~140 countries. What is happening is one Sovereignty (the Vatican) is taking over another Sovereignty (KoM). States just don't do that anymore unless your boss is V.V Putin.

As a Sovereignty, the Knights did exercise autonomy over their affairs. They are Catholic and in matters spiritual will always bend their knee to the Bishop of Rome. In civil matters and running of the Order, the Pope had about as much authority as running China.

That's the Cliff Notes version. Canon law afffectionados can visit Ed Peter's blog. https://canonlawblog.wordpress.com
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Joseph Ratzinger is a brilliant theologian. Traditionalist, yes. His sermon at the funeral of St. JP2 on the dictatorship of relativism was 100% spot on. His writings on the Liturgy are prophetic and his preaching/writings on Vatican II in context of the whole Church history are a must read.

His greatest achievement though may have been the establishment of the Anglican Ordnariate. They will be the spark that revitalizes the Mass.

The present Pope is mercurial. He just wiped out the Sovereignty of the Knights of Malta with a move that should make V.V. Putin envious and illegal under canon law. He has surrounded himself with sycophants. He's an intellectual lightweight compared to his immediate 2 predecessors.

St. Pope John XXIII was a caretaker Pope, too. It is too bad cancer claimed him before V2 really started.
                          Calling a Jesuit an intellectual lightweight? Yeah, that's a credible opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Calling a Jesuit an intellectual lightweight? Yeah, that's a credible opinion...
                            I'm not up on my understanding of jesuits. Can you explain why being a Jesuit means they aren't lightweights?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I'm not up on my understanding of jesuits. Can you explain why being a Jesuit means they aren't lightweights?
                              Jesuits are traditionally an academic-oriented society of priests. There's a reason they punch well above their weight when it comes to teaching and running universities. For instance, in the new Big East, 4 of the 9 Catholic schools are Jesuit institutions (Creighton, Xavier, Georgetown, and Marquette).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Not being a Catholic (and a heretical Lutheran, to boot) I found this view fascinating and it lost me a bit.

I realize I am not a Catholic (so my logic might be correct). I thought the belief is a Pope was chosen because God moves those who vote into the correct direction. The Pope is supposed to be the 'mouthpiece' on earth for God. If this is so, how can the Pope be bad? Isn't this akin to saying God is screwing up? (serious question, not flaming) I listen to this Pope and he sounds like the various Prophets in the Bible who told the peoples they had lost their way, become too obsessed with maintaining the status quo, focusing on human made rules and institutions, not God's work. The people predictably didn't like the message. From the outside it seems as if this Pope is calling people to account for having lost their way, getting mired in preserving power, various 'structures' with in the system rather than focusing on how to minister to the faithful. The people invested in the 'Institution', who have the power, are unhappy and obviously most people don't like to reorg- it is unsettling. (I obviously don't know enough background to know if my logic is correct in the context of the Church's teachings)

When mr les and I were first together I considered being Catholic but had a hard time with Doctrine over the Bible. Contemplated for a while but couldn't get past Doctrine rules that were in opposition to Scripture. As a non-Catholic I would have rated the last Pope as the most ineffective and off putting of all the those I remember. To me he appeared intolerant, rigid, defending people who should never have been defended, ignoring or excusing errors instead of saying yes we were wrong and mea culpa (he did the mea culpa thing a few times but after first trying to squirm off the hook- making it seem less sincere). My general impression was he was more interested in preserving the 'Institution' of the Church than on the reason it exists.

My FIL is very Catholic and we have had many discussions about Church teaching mostly centered around Matthew. Jesus chastises the Pharisees and Sadducees for preaching rigic adherence to the Rule while forgetting the point of it. Many times the FIL would say he couldn't explain the reasoning. No more lively discussions since this Pope came in. This Pope could almost convince me to be Catholic. He seems to have remembered Christianity is supposed to be 'Go and do likewise' and is a walking example that he is willing to do so. He is the first Pope in many years I feel has behaved in a Christ-like way both as a person and a leader of the Church.

Long winded but I guess my question is how can a Pope, ordained by God to be a leader, be bad?

Comment

Working...
                                X