Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by Bob the Martyr View Post
    That type of discussion has been totally replaced by isolated, extremist incidents in a manner that is just religious flaming. And when one tries to defend against said flaming...that individual is flamed further. Its has caused all religious to leave the thread.
    Changed your handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      BTW, I'm still waiting for where I've attacked all believers. The great thing about the Forum is you can go back and look.
      You throw blanket disparaging remarks about the religious (dumb Christians, Jeebus) all the time; you blame bad outcomes on the religious for many things that have nothing to do with religion (most recently presidential assassinations by the religious); you post a continuous stream of isolated, one off examples of bad religion. All this on a weekly basis.

Tell me that making all these comments about blacks would be acceptable.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      This is basically QED for how you have not understood anything at all. Your statement means nothing. It is the equivalent of saying "I have examined this butterfly collector's handbook for gun collecting, and it makes no sense to me at all." It is a nullity. For the hundredth time, we are not against theism, we're outside it.
      Its amazing how often doctrine (atheism) is confused with individuals (atheists). Doctrine is responsible for itself and individuals for their own actions.

Atheism is not outside of theism. Proof...if theism didn't exist, would atheism? No. Its an integral counter reaction to theism.

Atheism is defined as 'the doctrine that there is no God'. Its not defined as a belief in science, nor as you should be a good person, nor anything else its given credit for. Atheists may have these traits but by definition, they are not derived from atheism. So in replacing religious codes/support/etc, atheists may be able to find a replacement...but its not in atheism itself. Atheism is a simple statement of 'no' - regarding religion or God.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Jeebus is not a disparaging remark. It's a reference to Homer Simpson.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Jeebus is not a disparaging remark. It's a reference to Homer Simpson.
          ...who has had seven direct conversations with God throughout the run of that show's run thus far.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            ...who has had seven direct conversations with God throughout the run of that show's run thus far.
            Is someone actually tracking these?

(I mean, of course someone is.)
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Only five-fingered character on the show.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Atheism is not outside of theism. Proof...if theism didn't exist, would atheism? No. Its an integral counter reaction to theism.

Atheism is defined as 'the doctrine that there is no God'. Its not defined as a belief in science, nor as you should be a good person, nor anything else its given credit for. Atheists may have these traits but by definition, they are not derived from atheism. So in replacing religious codes/support/etc, atheists may be able to find a replacement...but its not in atheism itself. Atheism is a simple statement of 'no' - regarding religion or God.
                The word Atheism is rooted in Greek. Using the pre-fix A means to go without or to lack. Theism is something you clearly have down pat. So the word atheism literally means to be without theism, or to be without religion.

Since humankind began we've had religion of some sort, so a theist culture. Using atheism just comes about as a way to relate to the rest of the world, to help them label those of us without giving daily thought to worshipping some being up in the sky, or hiding in a tree, or the ocean, and so on and so forth.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Antitheist is the actual word for those who 5mn misidentifies as atheist. It is basic to realize, as he apparently does not, that not all atheists are antitheists. Self included, many atheists are fascinated by and enjoy the study of theism and the psychology of theists. We want you guys to go on worshipping Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. It's fun to watch you "know" stuff, and from the persistence of religion through human history it seems to be working for you. Well, some of you. Sometimes. Sort of.

Likewise, there are dystheists ("I believe in God and that dude needs to check Himself before He wrecks Himself") and misotheists ("I absolutely believe in God and I absolutely hate the sonofab-tch" -- Riddick). I suspect they are fun at parties.

The whole thing is a romp through Greek prefixes and in fact theism has been such an important part of so many lives that likely at least one person has been an xtheist where x is any Greek prefix:

endotheist: God is within me

hypertheist: God needs to turn it down a notch

metatheist: {Final Boss} transcends all man has until now thought was "God"

prostheist: God has a wooden leg
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2017, 11:53 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Greek meaning of myriad is the number 10,000. While interesting, Greek roots tell us nothing of the word.

I never claimed that atheism said that religion was destructive. But atheism's sole purpose for existing is theism - if there were no religion, atheism would cease to exist. And I'm not talking about other groups.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

The Greek meaning of myriad is the number 10,000. While interesting, Greek roots tell us nothing of the word.

I never claimed that atheism said that religion was destructive. But atheism's sole purpose for existing is theism - if there were no religion, atheism would cease to exist.
                      When something can only exist in a binary state, eliminating one inherently eliminates the other.

What you've just said is that the number 2 can only exist if first you've established that there's a number 1.

Atheism would have no reason to be a recognized term if religion itself didn't exist because the default world view would be one without religion. Why define a term in such a situation?

Comment

I never claimed that atheism said that religion was destructive. But atheism's sole purpose for existing is theism - if there were no religion, atheism would cease to exist. And I'm not talking about other groups.
                        Your logic is backwards.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

But atheism's sole purpose for existing is theism - if there were no religion, atheism would cease to exist. And I'm not talking about other groups.
                          You're still missing the point, but to be fair by a little less now. Let me try another example.

A Maple Leafs fan, a Flyers fan, a football fan, and a musician walk into a bar. The Maple Leafs and Flyers fans banter good-naturedly about hockey and are a tiny bit weirded out by the two who don't follow hockey but, hey, takes all kinds. The three sports fans at least understand each other's addiction to rivalries and fandom within sports, but they can't figure out the musician. They ask him what team he roots for, and he says "Meh, I'm not really a sports fan."

The sports fans wonder what life is like without all the friendships and joys and agonies and "something bigger than themselves" they have experienced in their life because of sports. One thinks to himself, "But what is this guy, really? His life is just a negation of sports. He's a {Not Sports Fan}, so if sports ceased to exist he wouldn't be... anything!" They sadly shake their heads at all the musician is missing. What an empty world.

Meanwhile, the musician has headphones on and is listening to Mozart.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2017, 01:18 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

If there were no religion, everyone would be atheist.

Or do you somehow make a distinction between someone who says they're "not religious" and those who say they're "atheist"?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              If there were no religion, everyone would be atheist.
                              There is always belief in The Powers That Be.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I believe he's equating militant atheism with atheism.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X