Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Many engineers are good people...but its not because they're engineers. There is nothing in the ideology that reinforces good or bad behavior. In fact, if you look at atheistic communication and positions in terms of time/focus...its almost never about being constructive about anything.
    This is absolute hogwash.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Was thinking further in this post election season:
      Bzzzzt. What you typed next showed absolutely no evidence of any thinking at all, much less further thinking.

As I mentioned previously, Atheism really offers nothing of substance...its really an ideology of 'no'. It offers no self help tool box. It offers no moral guidance at all. The two atheist claims are 1) none of these benefits are important and 2) they are really just about science. Both are largely false. In the end, who are they as a couple percent to tell society whether Christianity is a good tool for folks or not?
      As an atheist, I believe in clinical and applied psychology, both of which offer PLENTY of self-help tools. I just took an entire MBA class on managing interpersonal relationships which could basically be boiled down to a study of the empirical evidence that following the Golden Rule makes you a more effective leader or teammate. Jesus espoused the golden rule, but he wasn't the first and the fact is that the rule works (as shown by statistically significant, tangible, real-world effects), whether or not one (or anyone) believes in an invisible sky being, so science leads us to the conclusion that we should be nice to each other completely independently from religion or Christianity.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Be cool to one another.

Wyld Stallyns rule!
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          This is absolute hogwash.
          Alright. Engineers are good people simply because they're engineers.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Bzzzzt. What you typed next showed absolutely no evidence of any thinking at all, much less further thinking.

As an atheist, I believe in clinical and applied psychology, both of which offer PLENTY of self-help tools. I just took an entire MBA class on managing interpersonal relationships which could basically be boiled down to a study of the empirical evidence that following the Golden Rule makes you a more effective leader or teammate. Jesus espoused the golden rule, but he wasn't the first and the fact is that the rule works (as shown by statistically significant, tangible, real-world effects), whether or not one (or anyone) believes in an invisible sky being, so science leads us to the conclusion that we should be nice to each other completely independently from religion or Christianity.
          You believe in clinical and applied psychology because you don't believe in God? Not many would admit to that.

Regarding the Golden Rule, even if personally you find it so ****ing that Jesus stole the idea...does He get any credit for turning it from nothing into a household thing? I know from atheism the answer is no - because its an ideology built on no. Folks are able to share evidence here that pre Constantine Roman Empire was compassionate...and that early Christians that espoused the Golden Rule were not frequently put to death. And that Jesus was not needed.

Unlike other Christians, I don't see atheism as 'bad'. But I do see it as really just an ideology of 'no' because it only stands for not God. Anything else are atheists trying to give it additional meaning that it just doesn't have.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Engineers are people. Whether or not they're good or bad depends solely upon the deeds they perform in their lifetimes. Designing and selling a doomsday device makes one a bad person. Designing and selling a cold fusion power generator makes one a good person.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Engineers are people. Whether or not they're good or bad depends solely upon the deeds they perform in their lifetimes. Designing and selling a doomsday device makes one a bad person. Designing and selling a cold fusion power generator makes one a good person.
              Well said.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Engineers are people.
                You ever eaten with one?
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  This war on unbelief has gotten ugly.
                  Sorry, but don't really buy this. Its a good thing that there are different perspectives - atheist and Christian. Everyone should be allowed to believe what they want.

Note there is a war against Christians internationally as in there are a considerable number of Christians killed for their faith on a daily basis (google it). But in the US, I don't believe there is a war on unbelief just as there is no war on Christianity. There are conflicting ideas which is good and leads to multiple path alternatives for self improvement, etc. As with science in technology fields, faith adds some options for self help. The issue is that whether or not there's anything else behind atheism...atheistic input rarely adds any constructive alternatives for the individual to the discussion. Too often its look at the stupid Christian. But to reiterate, its my opinion that there's no war on unbelief or Christianity.

I would say that there's two real ideological wars in American society today. I would say first a war on conservatism. This is IMO a just war by progressivism (I'm a big time progressive) on conservative ideals that has been going on forever. The other war could be considered a war by conservatives to hold political power against an increasingly liberal/progressive country. Not so sure about this second one.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Atheism is now protected under the Frank Wolf International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 as the addition was signed into law a few days ago. Prior to that we were targets. Allegedly.

Comment

Sorry, but don't really buy this. Its a good thing that there are different perspectives - atheist and Christian. Everyone should be allowed to believe what they want.

Note there is a war against Christians internationally as in there are a considerable number of Christians killed for their faith on a daily basis (google it). But in the US, I don't believe there is a war on unbelief just as there is no war on Christianity. There are conflicting ideas which is good and leads to multiple path alternatives for self improvement, etc. As with science in technology fields, faith adds some options for self help. The issue is that whether or not there's anything else behind atheism...atheistic input rarely adds any constructive alternatives for the individual to the discussion. Too often its look at the stupid Christian. But to reiterate, its my opinion that there's no war on unbelief or Christianity.

I would say that there's two real ideological wars in American society today. I would say first a war on conservatism. This is IMO a just war by progressivism (I'm a big time progressive) on conservative ideals that has been going on forever. The other war could be considered a war by conservatives to hold political power against an increasingly liberal/progressive country. Not so sure about this second one.
                      I was being facetious, 5mn. I think atheism is widely mischaracterized, but I've never considered it to be under attack, any more than, as you say, christianity (or Christmas).
                      Last edited by burd; 12-23-2016, 11:59 AM.

Comment

I prefer what A.J. Cronin wrote in "Keys of the Kingdom" regarding salvation of an atheist.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

FINALLY! Some sanity in this thread.

You believe in clinical and applied psychology because you don't believe in God? Not many would admit to that.
                          Clearly, we're talking past each other. The statement I was responding to was "[Atheism] offers no self-help tool box," by which I thought you meant, "[not believing in god] offers no self help tool box," or, more cleanly, "if you don't believe in god, you won't have a self-help toolbox available." That is clearly false, so I was just pointing that out.

Unlike other Christians, I don't see atheism as 'bad'. But I do see it as really just an ideology of 'no' because it only stands for not God. Anything else are atheists trying to give it additional meaning that it just doesn't have.
                          You routinely say that anything that does not flow directly from the Red Text is not part of Christianity. If it's not part of Christianity, then what is it part of? I go with "atheism" - i.e. "not God." Something is either religious or secular. Anything that does not flow from religious belief is, to me, part of atheism - that is, it stands alone, apart from belief in a religion. Clinical psychologists do their research not because of a belief in god nor because of a belief in not(god) - it is independent of religion. If it's not part of religion, then to me, it is part of atheism. If you're trying to argue that the self-help tools offered by clinical psychologists are somehow part of Christianity, I'd love to see how you link them back to the Red Text.

Comment

Running out of time so...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            I prefer what A.J. Cronin wrote in "Keys of the Kingdom" regarding salvation of an atheist.
                            Hoping to put you to work as most won't know that reference.

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            I was being facetious, 5mn. I think atheism is widely mischaracterized, but I've never it to be under attack, any more than, as you say, christianity (or Christmas).
                            Cool. Gotcha.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            You routinely say that anything that does not flow directly from the Red Text is not part of Christianity. If it's not part of Christianity, then what is it part of? I go with "atheism" - i.e. "not God."
                            As you say, I assign red text to Christianity (not as a monopoly, but frequent inspiration and motivation). But don't agree with your secular equals atheist definition. Maybe I've just assumed by atheism you've meant that when really you've meant secularism?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              As you say, I assign red text to Christianity (not as a monopoly, but frequent inspiration and motivation). But don't agree with your secular equals atheist definition. Maybe I've just assumed by atheism you've meant that when really you've meant secularism?
                              Atheism just means that you think that 100% of things that exist (including abstractions such as love and beauty) are secular, so to me, the only difference between secularism and atheism is one of degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                You ever eaten with one?
                                http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...t4eWCDKcMu.jpg
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X