Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Who's pro-pagan in this thread? I've not read one tree or goat worshipping post anywhere.
    Actually, I was speaking for Gopher fans, who have a proven affinity for goats.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      I love my Christmas tree?
      Right, that's about as close to the dirt worshippers (a little nod to 'Deadwood' fans around here) that we're seeing in this thread. Christianity co-opted the pagan rituals, certain iconologies, and days of celebration to help convert those people into the fold. That's well known and only disputed by the most ostrich-like people of the Christian faith, but it's hardly pro-pagan.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Who's pro-pagan in this thread?
        That's true. The daily laboring is picked up by non believers.

But similarities between the aims of Trump and that of atheism are pretty striking - minority viewpoint of 'regardless of how many benefit, just get rid of it all...and no, I have nothing to replace it'. Not what I'd call in the spirit of giving.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          That's true. The daily laboring is picked up by non believers.

But similarities between the aims of Trump and that of atheism are pretty striking - minority viewpoint of 'regardless of how many benefit, just get rid of it all...and no, I have nothing to replace it'. Not what I'd call in the spirit of giving.
          Atheists are not synonymous with Satan worshipers or anti society. Plenty of them are all about benefiting the society at large.

On the other hand you could make an argument that Trump is the anti-Christ (and if he hadn't hoodwinked most of the evangelical holy rollers we would be hearing this). He says he is for the poor but has spent his life screwing them to make money, he says he respects women (why type anything?), he believes in the sanctity of marriage (??), he believes in God (when convenient), he has no idea how to tell the truth, and he has set himself up as the proverbial golden calf with all the answers, his platform is predicated on marginalizing huge swaths of people (Jesus was all about including the outsiders).

Comment

We have plenty to replace religion, it's called logic and reason based upon observable fact.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

We have plenty to replace religion, it's called logic and reason based upon observable fact.
              NOne of which tD employs

Comment

NOne of which tD employs
                And we wouldn't want to claim him, I assure you.

Comment

Atheists are not synonymous with Satan worshipers or anti society. Plenty of them are all about benefiting the society at large.
                  Many engineers are good people...but its not because they're engineers. There is nothing in the ideology that reinforces good or bad behavior. In fact, if you look at atheistic communication and positions in terms of time/focus...its almost never about being constructive about anything.

On the other hand you could make an argument that Trump is the anti-Christ (and if he hadn't hoodwinked most of the evangelical holy rollers we would be hearing this). He says he is for the poor but has spent his life screwing them to make money, he says he respects women (why type anything?), he believes in the sanctity of marriage (??), he believes in God (when convenient), he has no idea how to tell the truth, and he has set himself up as the proverbial golden calf with all the answers, his platform is predicated on marginalizing huge swaths of people (Jesus was all about including the outsiders).
                  You're really making my point for me. Trump has the pronounced aim to destroy the status quo (as mentioned previously) but he also has no moral compass. If Christianity is nothing else, it is a moral compass.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

We don't preach messages to entice or scare people into being good because we expect people to be good to one another based upon the innate benefits it has for society at large.

Comment

Many engineers are good people...but its not because they're engineers. There is nothing in the ideology that reinforces good or bad behavior. In fact, if you look at atheistic communication and positions in terms of time/focus...its almost never about being constructive about anything.

You're really making my point for me. Trump has the pronounced aim to destroy the status quo (as mentioned previously) but he also has no moral compass. If Christianity is nothing else, it is a moral compass.
                      You seem to have your own definition/view of atheism. I can't say I agree but what ever. tD is still the anti-Christ

Comment

We don't preach messages to entice or scare people into being good because we expect people to be good to one another based upon the innate benefits it has for society at large.
                        That is a seemingly rare attempt to engage on a topic. Couldn't the same be said of Fox?
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

That is a seemingly rare attempt to engage on a topic. Couldn't the same be said of Fox?
                          That's what the Fox say? What about whose Fox?

Comment

In fact, if you look at atheistic communication and positions in terms of time/focus...its almost never about being constructive about anything.
                            You really need to read more. I suggest you start here. I could just quote it in its entirety, but she could use the money.

Suffice that you are entirely wrong, but I believe that comes from ignorance and not malice. This will open your eyes.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Meanwhile, Christ ISIS is at it again.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Meanwhile, Christ ISIS is at it again.
                                I read that yesterday from another source. Has Bill Chumley never heard of a little retailer online called "Amazon.com", "Newegg.com" or "AboutABillionOtherSites.com" in order to purchase a non-Net Nanny loaded machine?

Comment

Working...
                                X