Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Anyone need a Christmas gift for that special militant atheist in their life? For $800, you can give 'em the shaft.

Comment

Apparently the Paper of Record needs some religion (editors).
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That's not a mistake. It's an editorial.

I don't understand how anyone can "misunderstand" religion. Either you're outside of it and it's pretend, or you're inside of it and it's suspension of disbelief. It's like going to the opera. What's to understand or misunderstand? You're giving something (doubt) to get something (comfort).
        Last edited by Kepler; 12-14-2016, 12:15 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Even this article about missing it is missing it. The mistakes they cite have nothing to do with how middle Americans practice religion and how religion influences their day-to-day and once-every-four-years decisions.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

On the necessity of moral absolutes:

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/I...es_Matter.aspx
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Isn't the Just War doctrine a violation of the writer's premise?

Back in 1984, Saint John Paul II affirmed, “The whole tradition of the Church has lived and lives on the conviction” that “there exist acts which per se and in themselves, independently of circumstances, are always seriously wrong by reason of their object.” An example of such an exceptionless norm is the direct killing of an innocent person. Even if an act of directly killing an innocent person might save an entire city from destruction, such an act remains intrinsically wrong. It can therefore never be freely chosen—period.
              Period. Indeed.

From the Catechism:

The strict conditions for legitimate defense by military force require rigorous consideration. The gravity of such a decision makes it subject to rigorous conditions of moral legitimacy. At one and the same time:

the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;

all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;

there must be serious prospects of success;

the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition.

These are the traditional elements enumerated in what is called the "just war" doctrine. The evaluation of these conditions for moral legitimacy belongs to the prudential judgment of those who have responsibility for the common good.
              Therefore, the common good is an object by which you can choose to kill an innocent person -- say, kill a baby by bombing a city that also produces armaments which an enemy would otherwise use to kill other babies.

Now the writer would no doubt claim that the bomb does not have the direct goal of killing the baby. But that is casuistry. One could as easily say a drunk driver did not intend to kill the child he ran over, so he's morally in the clear.

Mind you, I don't object to moral absolutes per se, for purposes of teasing out the structure and practice of morality. It's just that nobody actually ever walks the walk of moral absolutes, so they become a reductio ad absurdum argument which has other purposes. In this case, judging from the Comments, the purpose is apparently to sh-t all over Pope Francis.

But let's move along because there are still some interesting things in the piece even if the agenda is rather political and base.

Catholicism holds that there are two levels of conscience. The first is called synderesis. This encapsulates the notion that knowledge of unchanging truths about good and evil is written into our nature as rational beings. As Saint Paul says, all humans have a basic prior knowledge of the essential elements of moral truth (Rm 2:14-15). To obey conscience-as-synderesis is to adhere to moral truths knowable through natural reason, including the truth that certain acts are intrinsically evil.

The second level of conscience is what Aquinas called conscientia. This is Aquinas’s way of describing the act of applying the basic knowledge of synderesis to concrete situations. Conscientia thus involves individuals making practical judgments about what to do in light of synderesis. That’s why an erring conscientia doesn’t necessarily absolve me of guilt. The guilt may involve my suffocation over time of the voice of synderesis: of consistently deciding, for instance, that there may be circumstances when it’s acceptable to commit perjury.
              I love these terms and want to read more about them, but it is an intellectual exercise. As defined, there is no such things as synderesis. Humans are animals which evolved to meet the challenges of their environment. One of our best adaptations was what we call "consciousness" -- the ability of our minds to wrap back upon themselves and examine themselves. The ability to be infinitely "meta" and to reason from species to genus, first with concrete things like "that tree" to "tree" and then to abstractions like "treeness" to "living organisms" to "being." But all these are still rooted in actual existence. Ises. There is a whole other tree of abstractions with no root: good, beautiful, just, useful. These are the great gift of man to the natural world -- our imposition of terms that are not found in nature. Oughts. But their anchor is not like a tree or a color. It has no natural referent. It's special because it is not rooted in our animal substrate.

This horrifies some people because they think that makes it unsubstantial. I disagree. It is no more unsubstantial than language, which is also wholly human. Like language it can change over time, but like language one person can't just arbitrarily decide to change it or he won't make any sense. The anchor of morality is human society. But as soon as you step outside one person and start dealing with society all the top-down authoritarian principles of mechanistic logical systems are invalid. Meaning from that point further is a negotiation. It is open-ended, changing, and adaptive.

The alternative is what really underlies the whole piece. "Moral absolutes mean I get to tell you what to do."

No thanks.
              Last edited by Kepler; 12-16-2016, 11:31 AM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

That's fine as a general principle: I think we can all agree murder is wrong. But I think reasonable people can differ on what is murder (you would include every abortion, most people would not, for instance, while others say the death penalty is wrong, even though you're fine with it), let alone other issues with even more shades of grey.

The devil is in the details.

Comment

Francis is a product of South America (and the Jesuits). That background is a almost a 180 from Western Catholicism.

Trouble is, Catholicism in both places is dying because of relativism. Africa is thriving because "No" is apparently a still a useful word there.

If you want to check out what post V2 Catholicism in the USA should be, check out the Diocese of Lincoln, NE. There are enough articles out there that should give a complete picture.

-------------

Remember God was willing to spare Sodom if a righteous man could be found.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Francis is a product of South America (and the Jesuits). That background is a almost a 180 from Western Catholicism.

Trouble is, Catholicism in both places is dying because of relativism. Africa is thriving because "No" is apparently a still a useful word there.

If you want to check out what post V2 Catholicism in the USA should be, check out the Diocese of Lincoln, NE. There are enough articles out there that should give a complete picture.

-------------

Remember God was willing to spare Sodom if a righteous man could be found.
                    Lincoln's bishop is a conservative farkwit. Omaha is far more Catholic and has looked down on that whole diocese since I was still in Catholic school.

Omaha is also primarily educated by Jesuits thanks to Creighton.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Lincoln's bishop is a conservative farkwit. Omaha is far more Catholic and has looked down on that whole diocese since I was still in Catholic school.

Omaha is also primarily educated by Jesuits thanks to Creighton.
                      Which explains why Lincoln has a ton of seminarians, thriving Catholic schools (tuition free!) full of mostly Catholic students and religion classes taught by priests and nuns. Mass attendance is way above the US average.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Which explains why Lincoln has a ton of seminarians, thriving Catholic schools (tuition free!) full of mostly Catholic students and religion classes taught by priests and nuns. Mass attendance is way above the US average.
                        Omaha is run by what I refer to as the Omaha Catholic Mafia - the real power behind the throne. The city is roughly 60% Catholic, and its Catholic schools are far more numerous than Lincoln's.

Lincoln has only one religion, and its church is the third largest city in the state on Saturdays in the fall.
                        Last edited by unofan; 12-16-2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          You may be surprised by this, but I agree with you. The whole idea of Catholicism is grounding meaning in an absolute:

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. -- Matthew 16:18.
                          If you begin to allow for the grey areas of human life, there is no reason to stick with Catholicism: secular liberalism fits the facts of both physical and social science better and is a far more healthy human environment to grow up and live in.

Catholicism's Q score would benefit from a wholesale retrenchment into a reactionary 19th century church. It is a snowman that can't stand the sunlight of reason, so retreat from the light.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            The Romans had the right idea. Whenever you meet a new people and they have new gods, you just add them to the panoply. The people who insist their god is the only one you smile patiently, add them to the panoply, and flag their file that they're not mature enough to play well with others yet.
                            Does this apply to the "god" climate change?
                            There are zealot believers and heathen unbelievers, or is that heathen believers and zealot unbelievers, ... and a whole bunch of folks somewhere between*.

*see also: cafeteria Catholics
                            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              Does this apply to the "god" climate change?
                              There are zealot believers and heathen unbelievers, or is that heathen believers and zealot unbelievers, ... and a whole bunch of folks somewhere between*.

*see also: cafeteria Catholics
                              Uh, you understand the difference between scientifically accepted fact and mythology or religion, right...?
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Uh, you understand the difference between scientifically accepted fact and mythology or religion, right...?
                                Humans have a long history of taking a little bit of scientific information and misusing it into a profitable enterprise. Some are called magicians, others, priests, others climate scientists.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X