Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

An entire county is going broke underestimating the American public.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-27-2017, 01:51 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Submitted without comment.

OK, one comment. Read down at least until you get to Hoboken.
      Last edited by Kepler; 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Submitted without comment.

OK, one comment. Read down at least until you get to Hoboken.
        I thought that's how they did it in all of Jersey.

Comment

God hates fags.

Just ask these yahoos.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/unde...-camp-46038064
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Sigh. I really wonder what Christ would think of the world right now. Pretty sure we are seeing the Anti-Christ

Comment

Question for atheists: were you raised an atheist, or, like me, did you have a "this is bull sh-t" moment?
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                Question for atheists: were you raised an atheist, or, like me, did you have a "this is bull sh-t" moment?
                Disclaimer: Still not 100% sure I'm atheist. Maybe an agnostic pantheist.

Thinking back, I can't point to a specific "Ah-ha!" moment; I pretty much slid into it. Raised Catholic (post-VII - duh), hung in there pretty seriously until sometime between senior year of HS and freshman year of college. I stopped regularly attending Mass when I settled in at MTU, maybe that was the beginning. Perhaps my elective course in 1st Amendment Law was a factor - that was when I started feeling more liberal/libertarian on social issues like abortion and gays. Perhaps being exposed to a lot of other people from different backgrounds was a factor. Perhaps my atheist freshman roommate was a factor.

So, it was probably a combination of all that, and some other stuff. As the past several years have continued to wear on, I simply look at the world, and I think there's no way a just and loving deity who supposedly created humans "in his image" would permit even half the stuff that goes on to continue, free will and original sin be damned.

Comment

I'm not an atheist, but Ive had an increasing number of moments where I think Christians have become the antithesis of the teachings.

I've become very, very disillusioned.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I'm not an atheist, but Ive had an increasing number of moments where I think Christians have become the antithesis of the teachings.

I've become very, very disillusioned.
                    commented a few times this week that altho the Fundies are all jacked we have the current president, the current state of the country reads like the description of the coming of the Anti-Christ. On the whole I think most Christians are good at being Christians but.... There are enough of the crazy, non-Christian-Christians that get all the press to make me disillusioned. More than anything I am baffled by blindness toward all the very unChristian like things happening that the 'Christians' are applauding. Jesus was always rebuking the Pharisees for losing sight of the meaning of the law in obsessing about what they thought the people were doing to break the law. As one of the church types on my FB said- they are out Phariseeing the Pharisees.

Comment

You know, now that I think about it, maybe this goes further back. There is one moment from my junior HS year that still sticks out in my mind. During Lenten confession, I told Fr. Strasz that I was questioning God's existence. He told me that wasn't necessarily a sin, and explained, but I can't remember exactly what he said, other than it wasn't the standard, "Get behind me Satan!" response.

I liked him. He could be a harda55, but was very smart. Looking back, other than his lack of tolerance for bullsheet - he famously made our entire Catholic Morality class re-write our term papers after we collectively failed to meet his academic research/source citing standards (Turabian/Chicago format, BTW ) - I can't figure out how he ended up a Catholic priest. He should've been a college prof.

Comment

Growing up, my mother was very serious about her Catholic faith, and her teachings were handed down to each of my four older brothers. They were raised in the Church, and attended Mass at least twice per week, sometimes more. When I was young (youngest of the five boys), my mom had a falling out with the local diocese and parish (I'm not even certain that the right term for the Catholic hierarchy) over how donations were to be given. My mom always made cash donations, as was the common practice in the Pittsburgh area throughout her younger years, and was never questioned in all the other churches she attended as my father's job had them hopping across the nation until our time here in MN. With all that said, because of her little schism with the Church, she stopped attended, my younger brothers all got their desperately sought after reprieve from attended, and I never was introduced into the Church in any sort of proper manner. She still tried to impress upon me the whole concept of God, Jesus and the Holy Trinity, but I was skeptical from the start. Ultimately I decided that no god willing to allow the atrocities in the world that I'd seen to that point, just to play out some game or plan, was worthy of worship, or he was simply no god at all.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        You know, now that I think about it, maybe this goes further back. There is one moment from my junior HS year that still sticks out in my mind. During Lenten confession, I told Fr. Strasz that I was questioning God's existence. He told me that wasn't necessarily a sin, and explained, but I can't remember exactly what he said, other than it wasn't the standard, "Get behind me Satan!" response.

I liked him. He could be a harda55, but was very smart. Looking back, other than his lack of tolerance for bullsheet - he famously made our entire Catholic Morality class re-write our term papers after we collectively failed to meet his academic research/source citing standards (Turabian/Chicago format, BTW ) - I can't figure out how he ended up a Catholic priest. He should've been a college prof.
                        I work with a guy who is finishing up his PhD in Religion, focusing on some esoteric thing or another. Smart man, loves to dive into the nitty-gritty details, and has 100% faith in God. What he's doing here, I'm not entirely sure other than he needs to pay his bills and PhD courses ain't cheap.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I was raised in a very Catholic household (my father was a convert and my mother taught CCD for decades), but my parents were both intelligent and educated so I was raised to think for myself. It was assumed I would be a Catholic believer. The intellectual arguments for a supreme being (proof from design, the ontological proof, the teleological argument, Cartesian method, the Kantian workaround) and then the dogmatic arguments for why Christianity was the true religion (C. S. Lewis apologetica, Chesterton's debates with Russell) would impress me with their rigor and subtlety, and it would just "make sense" to me as it did to them. My father was much more an intellectual seeker of faith in the tradition of say Etienne Gilson; my mother had a strong emotional association of faith with family from her childhood in a deeply religious, riotously ethnic steel town where Czechs, Poles, Slovaks, Jews, and Rus would play together all week and then go to an old country language service Sunday and pray for the souls of all the other congregations who, sadly, were bound to go to hell because they had the liturgy wrong.

From the earliest I can remember I dismissed miracles and supernatural aspects of religion as either a deliberate con job by a priest class or pre-scientific theorizing and superstition. That I guess is the closest I had to a "this is B.S." moment in becoming an atheist. But that only knocks out the fundies and the other mental small fry. It wasn't until I was in my early teens and started having philosophical discussions with other kids that the sheer improbability of a creator vs the random effects of nature non-personified and not aware of our existence became, for me, obvious. That took out the pseudo-intellectual arguments purporting to "prove" a God "must" exist.

By late teens I was enough aware of both the wide array of faiths over the world and the history of how religions come to be (each of them essentially repeats the creation story of either Mormonism or the cargo cult) to consider religion just part of the "local color" of each civilization, with the unfortunate feature that morons will kill for it.

My two siblings actually turned out quite differently. My older hippy brother is non-observant but does believe that there's some sort of karmic balance pervading the fabric of the universe -- this is not allegorical to him but at some level "real." My sister wound up Catholic, but very much a comfort believer -- she uses ritual and, I suppose, faith, as a spare tire rather than a steering wheel. In my experience the vast majority of the religious fall into this category. Religion is a security blanket for them. They don't think too deeply about it and it is "real" in the Jamesian pragmatic sense: it works.

There were no real blow-ups or heated arguments in my family about religion. My parents were content in their faith, which they viewed as a mix of truth and metaphor, and also content to see us find our own way. They are my Platonic ideal of positive, healthy believers. They gave me the cognitive tools and encouraged me to use them, and they didn't pitch a fit when my path was different from theirs.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 03-13-2017, 07:46 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            my mom had a falling out with the local diocese and parish (I'm not even certain that the right term for the Catholic hierarchy)
                            From largest to smallest: Pontificate --> Patriarchate --> Bishopric --> Diocese --> Parish.

The priest runs the parish. It's local and everybody knows each other, and the priest spends his time as an all-around spiritual handyman: leads the mass, hears confessions, administers communion and other sacraments, and collects donations. It's gossip central.

A bishop runs the diocese and mostly handles finance: grip and grin with local pols and rich donors, project planning for church construction or refurbishment, happy face appearances for charities and anything that gives good PR.

Bishoprics are, AFAIK, just AAA ball to the Diocesan AA ball. Archbishops and other "extraordinary" (an actual term of art) bishops set up shop here. They are bigger fish and, generally speaking, mo money mo problems.

The Patriarchates are the Executive VP slots and handle global issues of marketing, public relations, money laundering, and covering up pedophilia. They and the Vatican mahogany (Lebanon cedar?) row types have the general mien, reputation, and activities of mafiosi or lobbyists.

And the Pope runs the show.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 03-13-2017, 10:55 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Both my parents were raised by parents deeply involved in the church. My Dad is not a real talker about it. He never had much to say other than he wasn't the slightest interested in being involved in the church of his parents (rebellion). My Mum was the one who dealt with the God stuff. We went to the Unitarian Church. She was very interested in the one being concept and comparative religion. She also had no interest in the church of her childhood. At 86 she still has not gotten past needing to prove she can do what ever her mother didn't like. Her mother was religious so the church, any church, is a cult (extremely reacitve- my kid likes church- he is going to be a pastor and is completely brainwashed).

I always believed in God but didn't belong to a church. I brought myself and got myself baptized when I was just starting work as an NP. Joined an ELCA Lutheran Church. Liked that it was open, encouraged dialogue and thought. Have never been able to blindly believe, still have questions but unlike Kep I have a bunch of things I can't explain without using God.

Maybe I am using God like a security blanket but it works for me and I can't figure out how I can deny something that seems to keep proving itself.

Comment

North Dakota Blue Laws won't be repealed yet because Sunday mornings are for Jesus and family, apparently.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...go-to-worship/
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X