Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The doctrine of Total Depravity is lazy and stupid. Augustine was overcompensating when he thunk it up and Calvin was playing out his personal neurosis when he wrote it down.

Any faith based on it is morally and intellectually bankrupt. Jesus would have scoffed at it as just another con by just another grasping guild of Pharisees.
    true but that is what is taught so how can you believe the Doctrine that you will always be in sin yet promise not to be. Basically requires you to promise something that they have told you is impossible

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      true but that is what is taught so how can you believe the Doctrine that you will always be in sin yet promise not to be. Basically requires you to promise something that they have told you is impossible
      I don't think the promise is to never sin. It's to will never to sin (and, of course, to mean it). I am only in control of my will, not everything that happens to me down to the biological / subconscious level. But of course the scope of "sin" is so ridiculous that it is impossible for a human being not to sin. It's either a deliberate mug's game -- God is a malicious prankster toying with us -- or else She just has no idea of what Man is. Unsurprising, considering the only one of us She has appeared as was perfect and thus a really lousy attempt to be a man.

The religion is declaring any widget "faulty" that is not milled to perfection, but the tolerance of the milling machine is imperfect.

The problem isn't Man. It's the ruler.
      Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2017, 06:07 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just read the thing about Doctrine and the wheat/gluten. Interesting to read the reasoning but not being a Catholic and not having been raised one- My logic prof would have had a field day. Serious leap of [something] to insist the bread was wheat and needs to stay wheat. The fact that it excludes people from having the bread may satisfy the 'Church' but I can't see Jesus buying into it.

Comment

Joe, I'll certainly give you this. Your Church history is very good. Was it a multi-year class in the old days? We had one year of "Catholic Morality", in 11th grade, where we had to write an essay defending one Catholic moral position. Fr. Straz failed all but 3 of us on the first pass. And he still C-minused me because I argued against abortion from a non-religious position. Everyone else got dinged for not citing sources.

12th was Church History. They randomly selected instructors by seat availability, which meant I had Dec. Kessler (Zee Gerrmann - with accent!) in the fall, and Mr. Rice (a grandfatherly old crank) in the winter.

I liked Rice more.
          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-10-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Just read the thing about Doctrine and the wheat/gluten. Interesting to read the reasoning but not being a Catholic and not having been raised one- My logic prof would have had a field day. Serious leap of [something] to insist the bread was wheat and needs to stay wheat. The fact that it excludes people from having the bread may satisfy the 'Church' but I can't see Jesus buying into it.
            Revealed Truth trumps logic, anyway. That's always the out if the Church paints itself into a corner.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Joe, I'll certainly give you this. Your Church history is very good. Was it a multi-year class in the old days? We had one year of "Catholic Morality", in 11th grade, where we had to write an essay defending one Catholic moral position. Fr. Straz failed all but 3 of us on the first pass. And he still C-minused me because I argued against abortion from a non-religious position. Everyone else got dinged for not citing sources.

12th was Church History. They randomly selected instructors by seat availability, which meant I had Dec. Kessler (Zee Gerrmann - with accent!) in the fall, and Mr. Rice (a grandfatherly old crank) in the winter.

I liked Rice more.
              Tied up for a few days. Will respond during a free moment at my 40th reunion.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Must be a day ending in -y.

He's Quiverfull. What a shock.
                Cornell University

Comment

Another thing that bothers me, especially since I came out:

Fundies LOVE to quote from Leviticus... "a man shall not lie with another man," etc as justification for their bigotry.

Yet, the Bible mentions shellfish as an abomination four times as much as homosexuality. What do Fundies respond? "Context matters"... as they load their cart with bacon and shrimp/
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Another thing that bothers me, especially since I came out:

Fundies LOVE to quote from Leviticus... "a man shall not lie with another man," etc as justification for their bigotry.

Yet, the Bible mentions shellfish as an abomination four times as much as homosexuality. What do Fundies respond? "Context matters"... as they load their cart with bacon and shrimp/
                    Well, you can let them rent space in your head or you can evict them and move on. They (fundamentalists) are predictable about this, have been called on the carpet about it for yrs from people (including multiple other Christian leaders) who aren't of that thought process and still cling to the opinion so they aren't worth it.

Comment

Well, you can let them rent space in your head or you can evict them and move on. They (fundamentalists) are predictable about this, have been called on the carpet about it for yrs from people (including multiple other Christian leaders) who aren't of that thought process and still cling to the opinion so they aren't worth it.
                      This is good advice but also hard to follow.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Especially when you're confronted with it all the time.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Especially when you're confronted with it all the time.
                          If you just get gender counseling, Bob, you will probably reach a point where you have a normal, healthy sexuality, just like our President.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            true

Comment

I love the guys that have that Leviticus passage tattooed on them.

Think about that.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

This is why I consider this board "chosen family." I swear, if I get married to a nice boy, people on this board will receive an invite while my actual family will not.

Comment

Working...
                                X