Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

The Devil and Whittaker Chambers

https://www.firstthings.com/blogs/fi...taker-chambers
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      People remembering us, using our idioms, which we largely took from our parents, is not an afterlife as befitting a thread for religion. The tangential entanglement is, as kids say on the rink these days, weak sauce.
      I thought "Thanatopsis" was required reading in secondary school....

and doesn't a religion that includes reincarnation count as a "religion"?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Roger Ebert's blog, while he was alive, was great reading.

He wrote many times about how Alcoholics Anonymous saved his life and his career.

He also wrote about his atheism.

He found a way to reconcile the two quite neatly.

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jou...m-an-alcoholic

I find on YouTube that there are many videos attacking A.A. for being a cult, a religion, or a delusion. There are very few videos promoting A.A., although the program has many, many times more members than critics. A.A. has a saying: "We grow through attraction, not promotion." If you want A.A., it is there. That's how I feel. If you have problems with it, don't come. Is it a "religion?" The first three Steps are,

* Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

* Step 2 - Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

* Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand Him.

The God word. The critics never quote the words "as we understood God." Nobody in A.A. cares how you understand him, and would never tell you how you should understand him. .... The important thing is not how you define a Higher Power. The important thing is that you don't consider yourself to be your own Higher Power, because your own best thinking found your bottom for you.
        In another blog post, he re-emphasizes that for him, step 3 was "a Higher Power as you understand it [italics were in original]."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          I thought "Thanatopsis" was required reading in secondary school....

and doesn't a religion that includes reincarnation count as a "religion"?
          I've never even heard of Thanatopsis until just now.

In no way, shape or form, did you come anywhere close to reincarnation. Having a legacy, no matter its root, is not reincarnation nor proof of an afterlife. It's simply showing that people have remembered your work, be it a singular deed or event, or a culmination of events.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Some feel that you can't believe in God if you don't believe in the devil in hard form. I tend towards disagreeing. That's because one or the other (God/devil) could be less concrete; Indeed, God Him/Herself doesn't seem to be physically substantive. But when some try to make the devil too substantive, I believe Christians get themselves or faith into trouble.

When some in faith project the devil on situations, they do so because see a right and wrong aspect to an outcome. Often there is in fact from every human moral aspect known...a right and wrong side to that outcome. However, sometimes its not that clear...as in its opinion...and so the projection of the devil results in at best a 'greater than thou' attitude and at worst it causes the person to be totally ostrasized. Hence even if its not a hard concept, the devil has played its role of discrediting the Word just by its mere existence.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Off current topic but on thread topic- I have gone to 3 different church denominations this summer. So interesting that all, even although they are not connected, are focusing on the same way of looking at the lectionary readings or approaching things. It is like someone has a master list for how to interpret things. All of them are now focusing on inviting thru action rather than being welcoming. All of them are telling me to use God as the focus (like a bullseye) rather than me as a focus. All are preaching the focus of outreach rather than being insular (not in political terms but inviting people in).

It is like they have all gone to the same seminar on what to talk about. It isn't even like they all agree on some of the same tenets. Must be some new research that the upper echelons are reading.

The Unitarian in me is still fascinated by the sociology of faith

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Some feel that you can't believe in God if you don't believe in the devil in hard form. I tend towards disagreeing.
                I'm shocked - *shocked* - that you would cherry-pick the good while ignoring the bad...
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Some feel that you can't believe in God if you don't believe in the devil in hard form. I tend towards disagreeing. That's because one or the other (God/devil) could be less concrete; Indeed, God Him/Herself doesn't seem to be physically substantive. But when some try to make the devil too substantive, I believe Christians get themselves or faith into trouble.

When some in faith project the devil on situations, they do so because see a right and wrong aspect to an outcome. Often there is in fact from every human moral aspect known...a right and wrong side to that outcome. However, sometimes its not that clear...as in its opinion...and so the projection of the devil results in at best a 'greater than thou' attitude and at worst it causes the person to be totally ostrasized. Hence even if its not a hard concept, the devil has played its role of discrediting the Word just by its mere existence.

It's been said that the most insidious thing the Devil has ever done is to trick people into believing that He does not exist.

I'm not quite sure I'd go that far; evil seems to be a uniquely human trait.

I do like the quote that goes something like "The only thing necessary for the triumph of Evil is that good people merely watch and do nothing about it."
                  Last edited by FreshFish; 09-14-2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    It's been said that the most insidious thing the Devil has ever done is to trick people into believing that He does not exist.
                    Yes it has. By Keyser Söze.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Off current topic but on thread topic- I have gone to 3 different church denominations this summer. So interesting that all, even although they are not connected, are focusing on the same way of looking at the lectionary readings or approaching things. It is like someone has a master list for how to interpret things. All of them are now focusing on inviting thru action rather than being welcoming. All of them are telling me to use God as the focus (like a bullseye) rather than me as a focus. All are preaching the focus of outreach rather than being insular (not in political terms but inviting people in).

It is like they have all gone to the same seminar on what to talk about. It isn't even like they all agree on some of the same tenets. Must be some new research that the upper echelons are reading.

Les - try an Anglican Ordnariate.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Yes it has. By Keyser Söze.
                        Must spread.

Comment

Another tie for best evidence for gods.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            All are preaching the focus of outreach rather than being insular (not in political terms but inviting people in).
                            It's just smart marketing at a time when a lot of megachurches have turned their worship services into Christian rock concerts about hope-y change-yness, in an obvious bid to appeal more to the young. Unless you had the misfortune of being born in Utah or the rural parts of the country, no one under the age of 40 wants to play dress up every Sunday morning at 8 AM, and listen to an old white guy babble on about the wicked gays and the evils of pre-martial sex.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              It's just smart marketing at a time when a lot of megachurches have turned their worship services into Christian rock concerts about hope-y change-yness, in an obvious bid to appeal more to the young. Unless you had the misfortune of being born in Utah or the rural parts of the country, no one under the age of 40 wants to play dress up every Sunday morning at 8 AM, and listen to an old white guy babble on about the wicked gays and the evils of pre-martial sex.
                              3 dif pastors- 2 women, 1 younger guy. That must explain it.

My Synod doesn't babble about either of those to issues. They must be slackin'

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Same phenomenon, different context: a few years ago everybody in hockey started talking about "the process." I don't remember where I first heard it, maybe a Mike Schafer press conference, but from the moment I first heard somebody use the term to the moment when it was omnipresent was seemingly instant. Certainly there was some selective perception, but even so I found it striking. I wondered whether some book came out, or a Scotty Bowman type started it, but it was just as you say -- as if they did a "Norman coordinate" and then everybody was uploaded with the patch.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X