X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge #184: The 2016 Frozen Four

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Morning

Starting Japanese lessons Monday at NC State. The wife wanted to try them, so I said I'd go with.

I'm not a great language learner. So it takes me more effort.
    Gonna murder the spelling here, so I'm just typing it phonetically: "goh-MEN-ah-SIGH" means "Sorry."

Beautiful day here, tomorrow should be the same. Tomorrow some of the hockey crew is heading to some small sh*-kicking town to try a burger that is supposed to be top 10 in the state (King's, for the locals; it's sorta near House Of Coates in Coates, which is another top ten burger place).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Gonna murder the spelling here, so I'm just typing it phonetically: "goh-MEN-ah-SIGH" means "Sorry."

Beautiful day here, tomorrow should be the same. Tomorrow some of the hockey crew is heading to some small sh*-kicking town to try a burger that is supposed to be top 10 in the state (King's, for the locals; it's sorta near House Of Coates in Coates, which is another top ten burger place).
      House of Coates sucks.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Have you been watching Wile E. Coyote cartoons lately?
        One should be able to hunt deer with an oversized cartoon rocket. And an anvil.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          I used to be able to ride anything. I can't even get on swing. Spent the last week snorkeling every day. I feel like I am constantly in movement. They had a fan in the bathroom that made the shower curtain wave. Sitting on the john I felt like I was going to tip over.
          Back to reality. Glad to be in my space.
          Yeah, I'm not sure what that was about.
          I think that's what I missed most by the time vacation was ending. I really like my space. My things. I was ready to go back to it.

Comment

konban wa

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

too late now to say sorry.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              konban wa

too late now to say sorry.
              That might not be Japanese.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Japanese is tough. Lots of prefixes, suffixes, and honorifics that can totally alter the format of a sentence depending on the relationship between the speaker, the subject, and the listener. There is a lot of etiquette and awareness of others - saying something like "Steve wants to go to the park" is actually somewhat impolite because it assumes I know what Steve wants better than he does. Instead I'd say something like "Steve seems upset. I think he may want to go to the park."

Lots of implied/double meanings and wordplay as well (they're especially fond of wordplay that crosses over to English.)

http://www.stmoroky.com/links/sywtlj.htm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...paneseLanguage (CAUTION: TVTROPES. YOU WILL BE STUCK HERE FOR THE NEXT 96 HOURS.)
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Soooo you're telling me there's a culture more terrified of offending people than ours? Wow. I'm even from passive-aggressive Minnesota and I think that's nuts. Good for them for hanging on to tradition, though. They speak so fast I doubt it wastes much time.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        Soooo you're telling me there's a culture more terrified of offending people than ours? Wow. I'm even from passive-aggressive Minnesota and I think that's nuts. Good for them for hanging on to tradition, though. They speak so fast I doubt it wastes much time.
                        There's a reason "Jackarse" filmed stuff there. The Japanese traditionally go out of their way to not make a scene/offend, which of course makes for great tv if you are Johnny Knoxville and company.

Morning, Lodge. Up too early, ugh. This not-sleeping-in bit on the weekends is getting old.

Comment

The only Japanese word we needed to know when visiting was sumimasen.

Can mean excuse me, or sorry. Plus that version of sorry is used instead of thank you in a lot of occasions.

Gomensai is really only for a person you have a close relationship with.
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Saw some sociology thing once that said the tighter quarters in a population the more rules and etiquette there are.

Good morning Lodge!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              Japanese is tough. Lots of prefixes, suffixes, and honorifics that can totally alter the format of a sentence depending on the relationship between the speaker, the subject, and the listener. There is a lot of etiquette and awareness of others - saying something like "Steve wants to go to the park" is actually somewhat impolite because it assumes I know what Steve wants better than he does. Instead I'd say something like "Steve seems upset. I think he may want to go to the park."

Lots of implied/double meanings and wordplay as well (they're especially fond of wordplay that crosses over to English.)

http://www.stmoroky.com/links/sywtlj.htm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...paneseLanguage (CAUTION: TVTROPES. YOU WILL BE STUCK HERE FOR THE NEXT 96 HOURS.)
                              Thank you, Twitch San.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Good Morning, Lodge!
                                Originally posted by Skeeterman
                                Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                                "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Working...
                                X