2016-2017 Commitments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 Commitments

Strike one recruit for SNC, as Garrett Forster has announced his commitment to D-1, St. Cloud State.
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Looks like Utica picked a a pretty good D1 goalie transfer .......

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
        Looks like Utica picked a a pretty good D1 goalie transfer .......
        Kid's numbers are not good. One nice year in the NAHL, but got shelled in his one game with the USNTDP and at Amherst as well. I would bet that the freshman they brought in is going to be the better player.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
          I like what I see so far for Elmira.
          Pardon my ignorance (and that may take a few minutes), but why are they bringing in 18 players now? Did I miss something?

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            Kid's numbers are not good. One nice year in the NAHL, but got shelled in his one game with the USNTDP and at Amherst as well. I would bet that the freshman they brought in is going to be the better player.
            well played 25 games on a pretty bad team his frshman yr,if not anything the kid got a ton of work and only missed 9 games that yr.........time will tell and Utica has lost a few good goalies IIRC....Zezler was pretty good this yr......

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
              well played 25 games on a pretty bad team his frshman yr,if not anything the kid got a ton of work and only missed 9 games that yr.........time will tell and Utica has lost a few good goalies IIRC....Zezler was pretty good this yr......
              Sure. But back-to-back sub-.880 save percentages were bad 20 years ago. It's downright horrific now. There's a good reason the kid didn't play much his sophomore year after a freshman year like that.

EDIT: I'd still put my chips on the freshman being a better answer come late next winter.
              Last edited by Hammer; 07-19-2016, 09:31 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Sure. But back-to-back sub-.880 save percentages were bad 20 years ago. It's downright horrific now. There's a good reason the kid didn't play much his sophomore year after a freshman year like that.

EDIT: I'd still put my chips on the freshman being a better answer come late next winter.
                40 years ago, .880 got you All American
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  40 years ago, .880 got you All American
                  Oh, I know. When I was at Ferris, Craig Lisko set the program's all time career save percentage mark with .893. Needless to say, that record has been blown away a few times. since. In the early-to-mid 90's, the benchmark was around .900 in the CCHA, with a GAA under 3.00. If you were above .910, you were elite. Darren Madeley and Steve Shields immediately come to mind. And then Blaine Lacher played LSSU into the NCAA title game in 92-93 with an .892, until they ran into that insane Maine team.

EDIT: Going back to the goaltender in question, Henry Dill was dead last in Hockey East in save percentage his freshman year, by a full 25 points (.894 vs .869). It wasn't even close. He was dead last in the conference in GAA by nearly half a goal per game. He didn't rank at all in his sophomore year, due to not having enough minutes to qualify. He played in 7 games for a team that went 8-24-4.

Look. I don't know the kid. I have no beef with him. If I met him, I'd happily buy him a beer. I hope it turns out that the kid does well. But at the same time, I wouldn't go getting my hopes up, either. His numbers simply dictate otherwise.
                  Last edited by Hammer; 07-19-2016, 09:51 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Oh, I know. When I was at Ferris, Craig Lisko set the program's all time career save percentage mark with .893. Needless to say, that record has been blown away a few times. since. In the early-to-mid 90's, the benchmark was around .900 in the CCHA, with a GAA under 3.00. If you were above .910, you were elite. Darren Madeley and Steve Shields immediately come to mind. And then Blaine Lacher played LSSU into the NCAA title game in 92-93 with an .892, until they ran into that insane Maine team.

EDIT: Going back to the goaltender in question, Henry Dill was dead last in Hockey East in save percentage his freshman year, by a full 25 points (.894 vs .869). It wasn't even close. He was dead last in the conference in GAA by nearly half a goal per game. He didn't rank at all in his sophomore year, due to not having enough minutes to qualify. He played in 7 games for a team that went 8-24-4.

Look. I don't know the kid. I have no beef with him. If I met him, I'd happily buy him a beer. I hope it turns out that the kid does well. But at the same time, I wouldn't go getting my hopes up, either.
                    Took the words out of my mouth when I started looking into it....

Just look at how many 5+ goals he gave up. He could come in and be the savior to Utica, but I probably would have left off the "pretty good" and just left it as a "DI pickup". Maybe he will be the "Matt Lemire" kind of pick up UMB enjoyed last season. He does have experience, but time will tell.
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                      Took the words out of my mouth when I started looking into it....

Just look at how many 5+ goals he gave up. He could come in and be the savior to Utica, but I probably would have left off the "pretty good" and just left it as a "DI pickup". Maybe he will be the "Matt Lemire" kind of pick up UMB enjoyed last season. He does have experience, but time will tell.
                      If this kid was a backup on a team that had an elite goaltender, or a backup on a team that was pretty darn good, I could see the argument very easily. Tyler Parks was in that boat for us last year (playing behind a darn good tender at St Lawrence). But this kid was on a bad team, and when he performed, he was, frankly, poor. I get that bad teams are going to put up bad numbers. That's part of the reason why they're bad. They don't score much, and they give up too many goals. Duh. But in this case, his numbers were significantly behind the rest of the field. This is like running the Daytona 500 and finishing 3 laps behind the rest of the field. There's a reason this kid didn't play much in his sophomore season. They knew what they had with him and went in another direction.

If I had to guess, you've got a ACHA club-level goaltender here.
                      Last edited by Hammer; 07-19-2016, 10:11 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

If this kid was a backup on a team that had an elite goaltender, or a backup on a team that was pretty darn good, I could see the argument very easily. Tyler Parks was in that boat for us last year (playing behind a darn good tender at St Lawrence). But this kid was on a bad team, and when he performed, he was, frankly, poor. I get that bad teams are going to put up bad numbers. That's part of the reason why they're bad. They don't score much, and they give up too many goals. Duh. But in this case, his numbers were significantly behind the rest of the field. This is like running the Daytona 500 and finishing 3 laps behind the rest of the field. There's a reason this kid didn't play much in his sophomore season. They knew what they had with him and went in another direction.

If I had to guess, you've got a ACHA club-level goaltender here.
                        Just to play devils advocate here, Chewy (Cadieux) had a 3.23 GAA and an .870 save % at the Q before transferring to Plattsburgh. I'd say he turned out "okay" for Plattsburgh. On the flip side Finney had much better numbers (statistically) at Colgate (.904% 2.68). We've seen some real "bench warmers" come into DIII and light it up, and we've seen some "steady" DI players come into DIII and just be "another guy". But I'm with you, the numbers just don't scream "savior" to me.
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Pardon my ignorance (and that may take a few minutes), but why are they bringing in 18 players now? Did I miss something?
                          Elmira has a JV team as well...good chance around half of those kids end up on the JV team.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Yes ... two seasons of under performing, lack of discipline, no leadership, and waaay too many penalties.

Comment

First year DII program Post University has announced their 2016-17 recruiting class. They have 10 incoming freshmen.

[ Story ]
                              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Being from Ontario I recognize more than a few names and nice to see kids getting an education while continuing to play the game they love. Some names also missing on the list but in any list it is tough to have a complete one. Cheers to every school on a competitive season just around the corner!

Comment

Working...
                                X