Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting, 2017+

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    They have a very talented coach who is changing the way things are done up there?
    I think Patman is questioning what Lowell is doing. They only have 2 recruits in the pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      I think Patman is questioning what Lowell is doing. They only have 2 recruits in the pipeline.
      Is this a sign that kids think Norm won't be around much longer? I hate to think it, but the thought keeps entering my mind.

I saw Mark Divver tweet a few weeks back that Norm was at the Bruins development camp, presumably to talk to Joona Koppanen. Rand Pecknold and assistant coaches from BU and NU were also there to see him. Again another long shot for Lowell, but at least they are trying.
      Last edited by Middle Street; 08-03-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
        Another one for Amherst.
        Getting a kid out of Shattuck isn't normally easy unless you're a "name" school. This guy is recruiting really well. If he coaches anything like that, this is the first time I'm going to start really worrying about UMass.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          Bit of both... How do they get these guys when the team track record is total poo... How many NCAA tournaments do we need to make before things start happening. How does Maine get anybody at this point....

Things like that
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            Getting a kid out of Shattuck isn't normally easy unless you're a "name" school. This guy is recruiting really well. If he coaches anything like that, this is the first time I'm going to start really worrying about UMass.
            The addition of Ben Barr as an assistant was huge for recruitment. Ben has established himself in the USHL when he was at Western Michigan. Amherst is trending upward

Comment

• Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
              The addition of Ben Barr as an assistant was huge for recruitment. Ben has established himself in the USHL when he was at Western Michigan. Amherst is trending upward
              Benny is a Shattuck grad---played there under Murray who was his boss at WMU
              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                They have a very talented coach who is changing the way things are done up there?
                Pump the breaks on Carvel. He went .530 in four seasons at St. Lawrence, never making it further than the ECAC semifinals. Let's not act like he's the second coming.
                Lowell Forever
                Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  I just don't understand... And I guess I never will
                  I still think somehow they're tricked into going to Amherst thinking they're really signing with Lowell.

All this success and you think we'd be seeing a few more names or at least bodies. Or is it the system Lowell plays in that it's only a few, targeted recruits they feel fit in?
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                  Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                    Or is it the system Lowell plays in that it's only a few, targeted recruits they feel fit in?
                    I have a feeling that the system does affect recruiting ... but not fully sure obviously.

In the meantime, another '99 for both BU and Providence yesterday. And Wisco picks up their 9th commitment from 2018 and on in the last 30 days.
                    Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...e-northeastern

UMass Lowell is 7th
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        I have a feeling that the system does affect recruiting ... but not fully sure obviously.

In the meantime, another '99 for both BU and Providence yesterday. And Wisco picks up their 9th commitment from 2018 and on in the last 30 days.
                        I think it is less the system on the ice, and more that Bazin has found a recruiting system he likes: going after 19 and 20 year old late bloomers under a year before their enrollment. Then using his superior system on the ice to turn that group into a top 15 team.

It looks like he will at least kick the tires on some elite kids, but only ones within a year of enrolling, not the 16 year old type, and since most elite kids commit over a year before enrollment there aren't many of these recruiting battles, so there won't be many wins.

Personally, I don't think it's the best way to go about building a championship team (nor do I think it is the worst), but if it consistently gets him top 4 in HE it's hard to argue with it, and unlikely he'll to see a reason to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                          I think it is less the system on the ice, and more that Bazin has found a recruiting system he likes: going after 19 and 20 year old late bloomers under a year before their enrollment. Then using his superior system on the ice to turn that group into a top 15 team.

It looks like he will at least kick the tires on some elite kids, but only ones within a year of enrolling, not the 16 year old type, and since most elite kids commit over a year before enrollment there aren't many of these recruiting battles, so there won't be many wins.

Personally, I don't think it's the best way to go about building a championship team (nor do I think it is the worst), but if it consistently gets him top 4 in HE it's hard to argue with it, and unlikely he'll to see a reason to change it.
                          Fair point. Thanks for this.
                          Monty

Comment

3 more '00s for Wisco yesterday. I've seriously never seen anything like this in college recruiting since I started following over 20 years ago.
                            Monty

Comment

@MarkDivver
                              .@FriarsHockey and Chilliwack's Jordan Kawaguchi recently parted ways. Word is he quickly had offers from a Big Ten and an @TheNCHC school.
                              Kawaguchi was the 4th leading scorer in the BCHL this past season.
                              Kawaguchi is heading to Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                3 more '00s for Wisco yesterday. I've seriously never seen anything like this in college recruiting since I started following over 20 years ago.
                                According to the Wisco thread there's another one on the way.

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                                I went to the Annual WAHA meeting yesterday in Wausau. Don Granato was the guest speaker. It was a great talk, you can really see the passion that he has for hockey when he speaks. Some notes that I took away (in a very random order):
                                • He talked about how they have two first rounders right now (Frederic and Kunin), the goal is to have 10 of them at Wisconsin at a time.
                                • Tony, Don, and Mark had been talking for years about coaching together. But they thought it would be in the NHL.
                                • Don said that he questioned how much Barry and the AD cared about hockey. Even when the team made money, it was such a small percentage compared to Football and Basketball.
                                • Once Barry offered Tony the job, it was a 5 minute conversation with Don and Mark, they said Yes that quickly.
                                • A lot of college hockey coaches are now intimidated by what Wisconsin has.
                                • Tony was going to speak instead of Don, but Don wouldn't let him. He had to be in Michigan for the World Junior Summer Showcase
                                • He talked about how his US NTDP U18s came to Madison and beat the Badgers with 7 or 8 17 year olds. The Badgers should never lose to high schoolers.
                                • All of their recent recruits (12?) had their foot in the door at MN, Boston, UND, etc. Some de-committed. He said that they respected the Verbal commitments, and only talked to kids after they de-committed.
                                • They are very happy with the incoming recruits, but they don't want to wait 3 years to start winning.
                                • He talked about changing the attitude of the players (12 wins in the last two years will defeat a team).
                                • He mentioned another recruit that will be announced next week. Said he played for him at US NTDP, and is another de-committment.
                                • He talked about recruiting philosophy. They try to challenge the kids. They want to find kids that have the same goals as the coaching staff (hard work, intelligence, desire to win, etc). If they don't share those goals, then there is another school for them.... like MN, ND, etc!

Overall a really good talk. He also had an hour session about player development on the world stage. He used a lot of Auston Mathews clips in that presentation

Comment

Working...
                                X