Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AIC, 2016 and beyond.

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    Army and Air Force don't use any obviously. RIT isn't allowed to offer any either since they're a DIII school which wasn't grandfathered with most of the others (Clarkson, RPI, etc.). Other than that, I'm not sure. You're right though. If AIC wasn't using all of theirs, than it wouldn't surprise me if others weren't as well.
    AHC expanded from 14 to 18 full scholarships a couple of years ago, but some schools rolled them out gradually. I did not realize that Div 3 was the limitation for RIT, as many of the other AHC schools that have scholarships are Div 3. Certainly someone on the board can clarify, as there have been entire threads on this topic the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      AHC expanded from 14 to 18 full scholarships a couple of years ago, but some schools rolled them out gradually. I did not realize that Div 3 was the limitation for RIT, as many of the other AHC schools that have scholarships are Div 3. Certainly someone on the board can clarify, as there have been entire threads on this topic the past couple of years.
      NCAA rules currently state that a DII or DIII school can move up to DI in one men's and one women's sport, but cannot offer scholarships in those sports (or a DI number of scholarships in the case of DII schools) unless they move their entire athletic department up to DI. There are two exceptions to this rule that apply to hockey:

This first was an agreement made about ten years ago that grandfathered in a number of programs that had always been playing DI hockey. Clarkson, St. Lawrence, RPI and Colorado College were covered by this exemption, allowing them to offer the full allotment of DI scholarships (Johns Hopkins lacrosse and Hartwick College soccer are a couple of other notable examples of grandfathered in programs). RIT and Union College in the ECAC, both DIII schools, were not covered by the exemption and as such can't offer scholarships. Union doesn't seem to care, but RIT has been campaigning to get there own exemption.

The second exception is an NCAA rule which allows schools to play up a division and offer the full allotment of scholarships in that division if there is no national championship offered in their own division. This applies to the DII schools playing in the AHC (and other conferences) since the DII National Championship was discontinued in 1999. Because there's no DII championship for hockey, those schools (Bentley, Mercyhurst, AIC etc.) are allowed to play DI hockey and offer the full allotment of DI scholarships (Atlantic Hockey limits the number of scholarships available for its members, but that's just a conference rule).
      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

NCAA rules currently state that a DII or DIII school can move up to DI in one men's and one women's sport, but cannot offer scholarships in those sports (or a DI number of scholarships in the case of DII schools) unless they move their entire athletic department up to DI. There are two exceptions to this rule that apply to hockey:

This first was an agreement made about ten years ago that grandfathered in a number of programs that had always been playing DI hockey. Clarkson, St. Lawrence, RPI and Colorado College were covered by this exemption, allowing them to offer the full allotment of DI scholarships (Johns Hopkins lacrosse and Hartwick College soccer are a couple of other notable examples of grandfathered in programs). RIT and Union College in the ECAC, both DIII schools, were not covered by the exemption and as such can't offer scholarships. Union doesn't seem to care, but RIT has been campaigning to get there own exemption.

The second exception is an NCAA rule which allows schools to play up a division and offer the full allotment of scholarships in that division if there is no national championship offered in their own division. This applies to the DII schools playing in the AHC (and other conferences) since the DII National Championship was discontinued in 1999. Because there's no DII championship for hockey, those schools (Bentley, Mercyhurst, AIC etc.) are allowed to play DI hockey and offer the full allotment of DI scholarships (Atlantic Hockey limits the number of scholarships available for its members, but that's just a conference rule).
        Ok, thanks. I forgot that RIT and Union were Div 3 as recently as 10 years ago, when the other schools in the CHA that joined AHC were already playing Div 1.

Comment

D1s
          Army
          Air Force
          Sacred Heart
          Canisius
          Holy Cross
          Niagara
          Robert Morris

D2s
          AIC
          Bentley
          Mercyhurst

D3
          RIT
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I forgot that RIT and Union were Div 3 as recently as 10 years ago, when the other schools in the CHA that joined AHC were already playing Div 1.
            Ya RIT moved up to DI in 2005, about a year after that exemption was made. I've never really understood why Union wasn't grandfathered in with the others since they have been playing at the DI level since '91. I guess that just wasn't long enough. Like I said, they've never really complained about it, so I guess its no big deal for them (they did win a national championship after all).

If AIC was offering fewer scholarships than they were allowed, does any one know how many that was or how many they're adding?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              D1s
              Army
              Air Force
              Sacred Heart
              Canisius
              Holy Cross
              Niagara
              Robert Morris

D2s
              AIC
              Bentley
              Mercyhurst

D3
              RIT
              Oops, I misspoke. Yes, Bentley is Div 2, but played hockey ECAC Div 3 from 1977/78 to 1992/93, then hockey played up to MAAC Div 1 from 1993/94 to 2001/02, then AHC Div 1 from 2002/03 to present.

Comment

I've never really understood why Union wasn't grandfathered in with the others since they have been playing at the DI level since '91. I guess that just wasn't long enough. Like I said, they've never really complained about it, so I guess its no big deal for them (they did win a national championship after all).
                Union was given the option to join the grandfather clause when it was written, but they declined.
                RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Matt Voity has come back to AIC as their goaltenders coach. Just announced on twitter tonight.

Comment

AIC to move fulltime to the Mass Mutual Center. That is huge for their program.

http://aicyellowjackets.com/news/201...home-rink.aspx
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                      AIC to move fulltime to the Mass Mutual Center. That is huge for their program.

http://aicyellowjackets.com/news/201...home-rink.aspx
                      Ya that's a big deal. Hopefully it helps them draw more and attract more students. Good to see that AIC seems to really be taking their program seriously for the first time in a long time.

Comment

Ya that's a big deal. Hopefully it helps them draw more and attract more students. Good to see that AIC seems to really be taking their program seriously for the first time in a long time.
                        Holy Dave Forbes!!!

Comment

MassMutual Center I read has a capacity of 8,000 fans, the majority of AIC would be unable to fill that place on any given night. No doubt a dream to play hockey in a venue such as that, but from a fans perspective perhaps too big a venue.

Comment

http://aicyellowjackets.com/news/201...-thirteen.aspx

Press release on the 13 new players.

Comment

Going to be a fairly big team next season.

8 new forwards
                              1 forward 5' 8"
                              2 forward 5' 11"
                              2 forward 6' 1"
                              1 forward 6' 2"
                              1 forward 6' 3"
                              1 forward 6' 4"

3 new defensemen
                              2 defensemen 5' 11"
                              1 defensemen 6' 0"

2 new goaltenders
                              2 defensemen 5' 11"
                              1 defensemen 6' 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                                MassMutual Center I read has a capacity of 8,000 fans, the majority of AIC would be unable to fill that place on any given night. No doubt a dream to play hockey in a venue such as that, but from a fans perspective perhaps too big a venue.
                                AIC lost 4-2 to Canisius this afternoon before, according to USCHO, 103 in attendance. Yikes! How is that Mass Mutual Center working out for Div 1 hockey?

Comment

Working...
                                X