AIC, 2016 and beyond.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AIC, 2016 and beyond.

So it looks like the Springfield Falcons leaving is a done deal. Obviously long-term Springfield will be looking to get a pro team back there in one form or another, like Worcester has. But in the short term, any chance the Falcon's departure will boost support and attendance for AIC? From the sound of things, it seems like AIC hockey is completely off the radar of most Springfield residents. I'd imagine most would probably rather just drive up to UMass or down to Hartford for the Wolfpack than support AIC. There's always a chance though. If they can't get an immediate replacement, do you think AIC could move into the MassMutual Center? Its practically in walking distance from AIC's campus (though I would advise walking in groups haha). Maybe they could at least add one or two games there to try and generate some interest. After all, bad Atlantic Hockey hockey is better than no hockey at all.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      So it looks like the Springfield Falcons leaving is a done deal. Obviously long-term Springfield will be looking to get a pro team back there in one form or another, like Worcester has. But in the short term, any chance the Falcon's departure will boost support and attendance for AIC? From the sound of things, it seems like AIC hockey is completely off the radar of most Springfield residents. I'd imagine most would probably rather just drive up to UMass or down to Hartford for the Wolfpack than support AIC. There's always a chance though. If they can't get an immediate replacement, do you think AIC could move into the MassMutual Center? Its practically in walking distance from AIC's campus (though I would advise walking in groups haha). Maybe they could at least add one or two games there to try and generate some interest. After all, bad Atlantic Hockey hockey is better than no hockey at all.
      AIC averages about 100 fans a game, so the MMC might be a little bold. But I think the idea of finding/picking one big OOC game, hying it up BIG time and trying to get that attendance number into 4 digits would be both a realistic and beneficial goal.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
        AIC averages about 100 fans a game, so the MMC might be a little bold. But I think the idea of finding/picking one big OOC game, hying it up BIG time and trying to get that attendance number into 4 digits would be both a realistic and beneficial goal.
        Ya I believe their game there this year against UMass drew maybe 750ish. Not great, but much better than what they're used to. Maybe a few more games there combined with the Falcon's absence will help generate more interest. Who knows? Maybe playing at a bigger arena closer to campus will even help with recruiting.
        Last edited by Buckeye22; 04-22-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
          RIT does this with its Brick City weekend, the schools combined parents/alumni weekend. Promote the heck out of it months in advance and for the last5-6 years have sold out the Blue Cross Arena where the AHL Amerks play. 11000 fans makes for a great boost for the per game average attendance numbers.
          John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
          AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
          AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
          NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
          NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
          NCAA DII - 1983
          NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
            RIT does this with its Brick City weekend, the schools combined parents/alumni weekend. Promote the heck out of it months in advance and for the last5-6 years have sold out the Blue Cross Arena where the AHL Amerks play. 11000 fans makes for a great boost for the per game average attendance numbers.
            I made it out to Rochester to watch Lowell play in the Brick City game back in 2010-2011. What an impressive turnout and sight. They handed out orange t-shirts before the game, so it was basically a sea of orange (11k) in the arena. A fun night and a great job by RIT.

Comment

3 good pickups for AIC

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...ardt-nahl-ushl
              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Up to six. I don't remember having this many this early. More than we graduated, so it's going to be tougher and tougher to get a spot in the lineup.

Comment

Add another

http://www.usphl.com/news_article/sh...d=1576352-news

justin Ketola, PAL Jr Islanders - Goalie

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                    AHL Portland Pirates sold, leaving for Springfield after 23 seasons in Maine

Comment

Good for Springfield, although I know a lot of Mainiacs in the Portland area who are disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Good for Springfield, although I know a lot of Mainiacs in the Portland area who are disappointed.
                        I know attendance was a big issue in Springfield, but it couldn't have been much worse than Portland. Went to a game a couple years ago up there. Advertised attendance was in the 1500 range but I'd be shocked if there was more than 1000 actually there (if that). Its too bad because apparently they used to have a great fan base. After that year they played in Lewiston they just never seemed able to get the fans back. Still, glad for Springfield. The city that's home to the headquarters of the AHL and has such a long history with the AHL should have an AHL team.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Was AIC in the market for goaltenders as all three currently listed on the roster are not seniors this past season, and all currently listed on the 2016/2017 roster page. I read it that 4 seniors are graduating, 2 defensemen and two forwards.

Adding justin Ketola & Zackarias Skog makes five goaltenders if I read correctly, perhaps some are for future recruits.
                            Last edited by Blitz; 05-05-2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Skog is a real prospect.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

i'm totally mixed about this goaltending situation. Leisner missed the second half of the season with a hip injury, so maybe there's something I don't know. But to get TWO goalies. Wow. I mean, I thought Caffrey was way under-rated. Stood on his head in his one start in Princeton with 44-45 saves.
                                And if Murray is gonna sit, the idea peeves me, as he really stood on his head after Coach Wright sat him in the stands for one home game in the first half of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X