Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: State of D-II Hockey

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    It is mu understanding that there's a moratorium NCAA-wideon playing up in any sport.

GFM
    It isn't a "play up" if a team with no national championship to play for elects to play for the Division I title. They aren't reclassified, they follow DII rules and still are a DII program. If there were enough DII programs to run a DII championship, those teams that "elected" to play for the DI title would have to go down to DII to compete for that title.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Yep. 2010-100. But if a currently classified D-II school wanted to start a hockey team, they'd be SOL on post season. However, the NCAA provides an out that allows a D-II Men's hockey team to petition to play in the D-I tournament.

The WCHA (sans BG) is grandfathered. They can offer 18 schollys and play 34/6/8 regular season games. A school described above has to follow D-II rules on games (30) and scholarships (currently 5??? but should be made the same as women who have 18).
      Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      It isn't a "play up" if a team with no national championship to play for elects to play for the Division I title. They aren't reclassified, they follow DII rules and still are a DII program. If there were enough DII programs to run a DII championship, those teams that "elected" to play for the DI title would have to go down to DII to compete for that title.
      Of the DII schools currently playing DI hockey, would any be forced to move to move down if the DII Championship ever returned? If the WCHA schools are grandfathered in, I'd imagine Merrimack, UMD, St. Cloud State etc. would be as well. All the current DII schools playing DI hockey have been at it since before 2010.
      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
        Of the DII schools currently playing DI hockey, would any be forced to move to move down if the DII Championship ever returned? If the WCHA schools are grandfathered in, I'd imagine Merrimack, UMD, St. Cloud State etc. would be as well. All the current DII schools playing DI hockey have been at it since before 2010.
        If the schools were grandfathered in as DI programs they would still be considered DI programs in the same way that St. Lawrence, Union, and Clarkson were grandfathered in as full DI programs. However, there are some "real DI" programs (especially the Big "10") that resent the non-DI schools. They could always present legislation that would change their status.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2016/10/14/prot...wed-with-nehc/

So it looks like the rumors are true and St. A's is getting the boot from the NEHC. I'm really curious as to how the hockey players reacted to all the stink the other athletes were making last year about the potential move to DIII. The school's decision to stay at DII may have made the majority happy, but it kinda left the hockey teams out to dry. This is probably worse for the women's team than for the men. At least the men still have a conference to call home and a conference title to play for. Maybe if Post joins the NE-10 as an affiliate as they've previously stated they want to, the women can form a 4 team conference. If Holy Cross keeps playing DIII women's hockey (which I've never really understood), maybe the five of them can form an at-large conference so at least they can fill their schedules each year.

Comment

D-II's have a solution. It is in the by-laws. If they don't want to embrace it, that's their fault/business.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2016/10/14/prot...wed-with-nehc/

So it looks like the rumors are true and St. A's is getting the boot from the NEHC. I'm really curious as to how the hockey players reacted to all the stink the other athletes were making last year about the potential move to DIII. The school's decision to stay at DII may have made the majority happy, but it kinda left the hockey teams out to dry. This is probably worse for the women's team than for the men. At least the men still have a conference to call home and a conference title to play for. Maybe if Post joins the NE-10 as an affiliate as they've previously stated they want to, the women can form a 4 team conference. If Holy Cross keeps playing DIII women's hockey (which I've never really understood), maybe the five of them can form an at-large conference so at least they can fill their schedules each year.
              It wasn't rumors. They never made an official announcement, but St. A and St. M were aware this was coming. It's part of why St. Anselm tried to make the switch to DIII before getting so much backlash from the community and alumni. I enjoy the irony that there are protests about their hockey team being threatened, but how many of those were among those protesting the drop to DIII? Apparently the St. Anselm community thinks they can have their cake and eat it too.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Some big news from the Northeast-10. As expected St. A's and St. Mike's will now play a full conference schedule, and with the addition of Post as a scheduling partner that will bring the conference slate to 18 games per team. Obviously St. A's and St. Mike's would probably rather still be in the NEHC, but at least this will give a little extra meaning to the Northeast-10 tournament at the end of the year. Also, apparently the NCAA has changed some legislation to benefit the DII schools' recruiting process, which I would imagine will make a big difference for them. I wasn't aware they had different recruiting rules than both DI and DIII. I always figured they were just at a recruiting disadvantage on account of them not having a national championship to play for. Still no word on what's going to happen on the women's side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  Some big news from the Northeast-10. As expected St. A's and St. Mike's will now play a full conference schedule, and with the addition of Post as a scheduling partner that will bring the conference slate to 18 games per team. Obviously St. A's and St. Mike's would probably rather still be in the NEHC, but at least this will give a little extra meaning to the Northeast-10 tournament at the end of the year. Also, apparently the NCAA has changed some legislation to benefit the DII schools' recruiting process, which I would imagine will make a big difference for them. I wasn't aware they had different recruiting rules than both DI and DIII. I always figured they were just at a recruiting disadvantage on account of them not having a national championship to play for. Still no word on what's going to happen on the women's side.
                  That will give them 12 OOC games. But still (I believe) only 5 scholarships. The women are allowed 18.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

St. A's has actually already released next year's schedule. Looks like they're sticking to 6 or 7 OOC games.
                    Last edited by Buckeye22; 01-10-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

St. A's has actually already released next year's schedule. Looks like they're sticking to 6 or 7 OOC games.
                      Do you have a link on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
                        Here you go...... http://www.saintanselmhawks.com/spor...y_Schedule.pdf

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
                          Sorry. Meant to put the link in there.

Comment

Every year it just makes less sense to me why the NE 10 doesn’t just play up. I’d be curious to know what stops them, if it’s the relationships with D-III schools that helps fill the barns or what.

One would think that the AHA offers local non-cons and the potential of “payday” non-con matchups would help offset any possible losses.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Every year it just makes less sense to me why the NE 10 doesn’t just play up. I’d be curious to know what stops them, if it’s the relationships with D-III schools that helps fill the barns or what.

One would think that the AHA offers local non-cons and the potential of “payday” non-con matchups would help offset any possible losses.
                              $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Looking at the attendance numbers for 2017, I'd have to wonder if any AHA team turns a profit, or spreads any money around. Your use of the word "offset" is probably an accurate take.

Comment

Working...
                                X