Hockey East Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Realignment

With Notre Dame bouncing for the BTHC (WOOOOO!), Hockey East has an opening and all signs point toward making a big push to get Quinnipiac.

That would obviously be a huge deal for WHEA, rounding out at 10 teams and giving a significant boost in league quality.

Any thoughts on this -- any of it really?
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: Hockey East Realignment

Yea, what does BTHC stand for? Quinni would be a huge get!

Comment

The only thing I can come up with is:
      Big Ten Hockey Conference

B10 is also acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
        Big Ten Hockey Conference

B10 is also acceptable.
        Yup

Also B1G or, even more humorously, BI6 (although BI6 doesn't work anymore now that they will have more than 6 teams).

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          With Notre Dame bouncing for the BTHC (WOOOOO!), Hockey East has an opening and all signs point toward making a big push to get Quinnipiac.

That would obviously be a huge deal for WHEA, rounding out at 10 teams and giving a significant boost in league quality.

You should push for OSU, bring a little of the West home without a lot of travel costs.

Comment

Strictly from the women's side this is the break that Holy Cross has been hoping for and probably their best chance at becoming a real D1 program. I am sure that if they could get Hockey East acceptance for both men's and women's teams that they would upgrade the rink immediately to the required Hockey East specs (too small now) as they are already in process of upgrading the rest of the fieldhouse facilities. I would be surprised if they don't push hard to get Notre Dame's spot. But I agree that a couple of the ECAC schools would be strong candidates as well: Quinnipiac and Rensselaer (not sure if they would be interested) would seem the most likely....

If Quinn or RPI went to the Hockey East, then I would suggest that the ECAC would strongly consider Holy Cross or Sacred Heart for admission. The ECAC is the only league that has all members with both men's and women's teams and that seems to matter to them. Either of these teams could upgrade their women's program to real D1 status with fairly minimal effort.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              Strictly from the women's side this is the break that Holy Cross has been hoping for and probably their best chance at becoming a real D1 program. I am sure that if they could get Hockey East acceptance for both men's and women's teams that they would upgrade the rink immediately to the required Hockey East specs (too small now) as they are already in process of upgrading the rest of the fieldhouse facilities. I would be surprised if they don't push hard to get Notre Dame's spot. But I agree that a couple of the ECAC schools would be strong candidates as well: Quinnipiac and Rensselaer (not sure if they would be interested) would seem the most likely....

If Quinn or RPI went to the Hockey East, then I would suggest that the ECAC would strongly consider Holy Cross or Sacred Heart for admission. The ECAC is the only league that has all members with both men's and women's teams and that seems to matter to them. Either of these teams could upgrade their women's program to real D1 status with fairly minimal effort.
              Holy Cross to the ECAC is an interesting thought. RIT was the conventional wisdom but as Eeyore noted on Facebook that would take away the CHA autobid (for better or for worse).

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                You should push for OSU, bring a little of the West home without a lot of travel costs.
                OSU is NAHTTTT leaving the Big Ten. Lol

Comment

As an HC alum, I find it doubtful. HC has always shied from pushing its athletics. About a decade ago, after the men's team upset Minnesota, there were talks about HC joining the ECAC, but my understanding is that the ECAC said HC needed to upgrade its women's team to D-I, and they were unwilling to. I also remember that 30 some odd years ago, Holy Cross basketball was offered a slot in the Big East, and declined.

Trust me, I would love to see the HC women play a true D-I schedule, instead of playing the ECAC Open/D-III that they play now, and join Hockey East. Also, there was a push a couple of years ago from some alumni to get HC to join HE when they took Notre Dame and maybe have the team play at the DCU, but the school declined to pursue it.
                  "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

I've been hoping they would give up on the B10 and go back to the WCHA alignment. I'm fine with replacing the Alaska teams with Michigan and MSU though. As much as I dislike NoDak, I miss those games. Just can't get excited about OSU and PS yet. Maybe they'll grow on me.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum
                      I have been hearing for about 6 months that Holy Cross women to D1 is a When, not an If.
                      Where have you been hearing that? Not that it wouldn't be great, just that with HC's history, I'm a little skeptical.
                      "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

RPI shouldn't even be a part of this conversation.
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                          RPI shouldn't even be a part of this conversation.
                          Because?

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum
                            I have heard from parents of girls who are going there, as well as other reliable sources. I am not saying it is 100%, but I have heard it more than a few times, which leads me to believe there is some truth to it.
                            I've been hearing the same from HC parents for 6 years. Means nothing wishful thinking. The ND thing gives an opening though so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

I think Quinnipiac makes sense. They have the rink, the alumni backing, the school administration loves hockey and it gets them out of Yale's shadow. Staying in the ECAC pretty much assures the men of an NCAA bid every year but I would guess that they would welcome the competition. On the women's side, other than Clarkson and Harvard, the Lady Bobcats don't really get pushed all that much. I think they would love the TV exposure and expanded schedule opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                              X