Another possibly problematic women's coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another possibly problematic women's coach

And the athletic director's comments in the article essentially translate to "I wish we could have swept this under the rug." So far she has not been a very impressive leader.

Comment

They're looking for a new assistant coach. Did CD leave? Smart girl if she did. Would be interesting to hear her feedback on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        They're looking for a new assistant coach. Did CD leave? Smart girl if she did. Would be interesting to hear her feedback on the situation.
        The job opening (https://psu.jobs/job/63444) doesn't say anything about "goalie specific" requirements, and that's a big part of what Courtney Drennan does at Penn State, so maybe Alex Dawes is moving on. I hope not - I've heard nothing but very good things about his coaching and how the players respond to him.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
          The job opening (https://psu.jobs/job/63444) doesn't say anything about "goalie specific" requirements, and that's a big part of what Courtney Drennan does at Penn State, so maybe Alex Dawes is moving on. I hope not - I've heard nothing but very good things about his coaching and how the players respond to him.
          Word is CD has left coaching all together

Comment

Originally posted by Theicebox View Post
            Word is CD has left coaching all together
            Perhaps this last experience soured her on coaching altogether. Would be a shame but also wouldn't surprise me. When you make a terrible hiring decision and put a coach in place as the head coach even though he has zero previous experience in women's hockey and he recruits D3 level talent the first couple of years and then starts cutting them and treating them bad, should anyone be surprised when it starts to fall apart for him?! I have no sympathy for him or the athletics department for having to muddle through this mess now. I do feel for the players and their parents though.

Comment

Originally posted by truthbetold View Post
              And the athletic director's comments in the article essentially translate to "I wish we could have swept this under the rug." So far she has not been a very impressive leader.
              I'm sorry to say I have to agree with this. An AD doesn't have to say they wish that allegations like these didn't play out in the media - that is a given. This comes off as a warning to future athletes that they better not go to the media - a statement for effect. I wouldn't encourage my child (son or daughter) to attend Penn State based on these events and statements.... you would think that of all places that Penn State would be all over the right thing to say (and political correctness) given the events of the last 5+ years there, but they sure as heck seem to be as arrogant and intimidating as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                90% of all college hockey coaches are....idiots. Sorry to say burst your bubble, but that's the way it is. I'm sure he's better than some and worse than others....
                ****** bag was the terminology I used......hi Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  I'm not convinced it is a male/female thing or that it is "kids today" either. Boys/mens sports filters for a certain type of personality because it is tradition. Boys accept 'hard . . . nosed' coaches because that is the only model for success the industry as seen. Girls/women on the other had do not come from that abusive tradition and have different expectations. My guess is that there have always been some number of young men who either quit the game or fail to develop to their full potential because they do not respond to abuse from someone who does not seem to care about them. But I think many successful mens coaches show their players they care. In his book Jerry Kramer recounts how abusive Vince Lombardi could be but mentions several times about how he also showed he cared. It's just not as common or acknowledged on the male side.
                  Anson Dorrance, the UNC women's soccer coach, has written about the differences between coaching men's and women's teams. He has a unique perspective of having coached both women and men at a very high level (before his current role, he was the men's head soccer coach at UNC, where he was named National Coach of the Year).

Dorrance points out some differences in his approach to coaching women, as opposed to men (my favorite: with men, you must watch game film or they won't believe they made a mistake; with women, you don't watch film because they already feel bad enough about it).

I am happy to see that the programs currently at the top of women's hockey are all headed by coaches who have shown that you can win championships without breaking down your players. Maybe that will become what other programs emulate.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    Perhaps this last experience soured her on coaching altogether. Would be a shame but also wouldn't surprise me. When you make a terrible hiring decision and put a coach in place as the head coach even though he has zero previous experience in women's hockey and he recruits D3 level talent the first couple of years and then starts cutting them and treating them bad, should anyone be surprised when it starts to fall apart for him?! I have no sympathy for him or the athletics department for having to muddle through this mess now. I do feel for the players and their parents though.
                    It appears that PS has found a replacement for CD with the RIT assistant. Sorry, I should have used more initials

Comment

The GoPSUsports article on the hiring of new assistant coach Lisa Marshall:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...061016aaf.html

Comment

Penn State released its 2016-17 roster, and a junior defender isn't on it (Remi Martin), as well as a junior goalie (Amber Greene). Greene was strictly a practice goalie, but Martin played regularly. Penn State's roster went from 27 players last season to 21 players this season, which includes two goalies, after graduating 12 seniors at the end of the 2015-16 season.

Comment

Working...
                        X