Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Let's be honest, you could post that same article about any team in the WCHA (except for Mankato).
    And UAH, because really, we have no other realistic options right now.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      The point was that it's not an alternative; it's the exact same thing.
      No, it's not.

I agree that there are some other conferences that have an easier time in introducing changes. But if you want a chance to do that as well, you have to be at the table. It's not about blocking the other guy, it's about looking at new ways forward. Man, this political obstructionism is making its way into everything.

Comment

So lets say BG does leave the conference, which I think is a long shot. They would trade non con games with Miami and WMU for conference games with the same places. They would lose the Alaska trips and trade those for additional minnesota trips, (and UND is noticeably further, it's a really long way on a Bus), that's not much of a benefit really.
        The UP travel would end and that might be traded for a non con game somewhere, but LSSU isn't that far, and neither is Ferris, and they would lose those too. So the travel would still be pretty far.
        It's not as much a benefit as the Mankato move would be.
        You also gotta ask, if the NCHC takes ASU, as has been reported, then will they also take BG? or if they take BG, will they take ASU?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          So lets say BG does leave the conference, which I think is a long shot. They would trade non con games with Miami and WMU for conference games with the same places. They would lose the Alaska trips and trade those for additional minnesota trips, (and UND is noticeably further, it's a really long way on a Bus), that's not much of a benefit really.
          The UP travel would end and that might be traded for a non con game somewhere, but LSSU isn't that far, and neither is Ferris, and they would lose those too. So the travel would still be pretty far.
          It's not as much a benefit as the Mankato move would be.
          You also gotta ask, if the NCHC takes ASU, as has been reported, then will they also take BG? or if they take BG, will they take ASU?
          That last question has some bite to it for the WCHA/ASU. Say ASU can't get their rink stuff in order so the NCHC walks away from them but adds BGSU and MSU-M. For the Nacho, it's a good move if they want to expand. It gives Miami/Western a bus trip and it's already been explained what Mankato brings to the table.

As a result this would kill ASU however. At that point the WCHA won't add ASU. It has no monetary return for them. It adds a flight. It crated a schedule headache. Its the same scenario the CCHA had with UAH.

It's a "not good for college hockey" move, but one that is needed to keep the Michigan schools afloat, IMO.

Overall a very small chance of happening, but a scary scenario if the ball ever got rolling that direction.
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            That last question has some bite to it for the WCHA/ASU. Say ASU can't get their rink stuff in order so the NCHC walks away from them but adds BGSU and MSU-M. For the Nacho, it's a good move if they want to expand. It gives Miami/Western a bus trip and it's already been explained what Mankato brings to the table.

As a result this would kill ASU however. At that point the WCHA won't add ASU. It has no monetary return for them. It adds a flight. It crated a schedule headache. Its the same scenario the CCHA had with UAH.

It's a "not good for college hockey" move, but one that is needed to keep the Michigan schools afloat, IMO.

Overall a very small chance of happening, but a scary scenario if the ball ever got rolling that direction.
            Count the votes. UAA, UAF, UAH and Bemidji would all be a lock to bring ASU into the league. They've all been in tough situations in their history facing being without a conference and that I think makes them a lock. I would expect after being slugged in the kisser by the Butt-Hurt runaways that adding a team to the conference is now a matter of just having a majority. One other school's vote to add ASU would make it a pretty big possibility in your scenario. I could easily be wrong about the majority vote for entrance of course ...

Comment

BG has a brand new AD, so the "no comment" we got last week might have a lot to do with getting everyone on the same page.

If (and in my opinion it's a big if) BG and MSU were to go to the NCHC I think the WCHA would push its members to vote in favor of ASU. Don't forget about the need to have a D1 school in your conference to get a seat at the NCAA table.

I still stand by ASU has been admitted to the NCHC on condition they work out an arena solution. They're supposed to go to their new conference in 17-18 but I see that getting pushed back due to scheduling issues. Also, it's important to note that ASU's donations to start up the hockey program will only sustain them for 10 years. They need to get to a point where they're getting as close to breaking even as possible.
              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                BG has a brand new AD, so the "no comment" we got last week might have a lot to do with getting everyone on the same page.

If (and in my opinion it's a big if) BG and MSU were to go to the NCHC I think the WCHA would push its members to vote in favor of ASU. Don't forget about the need to have a D1 school in your conference to get a seat at the NCAA table.

I still stand by ASU has been admitted to the NCHC on condition they work out an arena solution. They're supposed to go to their new conference in 17-18 but I see that getting pushed back due to scheduling issues. Also, it's important to note that ASU's donations to start up the hockey program will only sustain them for 10 years. They need to get to a point where they're getting as close to breaking even as possible.
                Interesting comments. I don't think ASU has 10 years worth of money, more like 3 or 4, so I wonder where you got those numbers. If they had plenty of cash they would not be moving the Desert Classic to Prescott.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Interesting comments. I don't think ASU has 10 years worth of money, more like 3 or 4, so I wonder where you got those numbers. If they had plenty of cash they would not be moving the Desert Classic to Prescott.
                  From this article: http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...program-111814

The annual cost of operating the men's ice hockey program is about $2.5 million and will include 18 new scholarships. The private donations will fund the program for the first 10 years. After that, the burden would fall on the university athletic department.

Comment

From this article: http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...program-111814
                    ...made possible by private donations of $32 million by a group of hockey supporters... The annual cost of operating the men's ice hockey program is about $2.5 million and will include 18 new scholarships. The private donations will fund the program for the first 10 years. After that, the burden would fall on the university athletic department.
                    Maybe someone with a calculator handy can check my math but...
                    $32M - ($2.5M x 10) = $10M left to build a D-I quality rink. Umm I don't think so, not if they expect to play in the NCHC.
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

$32M - ($2.5M x 10) = $10M left to build a D-I quality rink. Umm I don't think so, not if they expect to play in the NCHC.
                      Ryan J
                      You don't think Year 1 cost a little extra to get going?
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ryan J
                        Notre Dame 5000 seats, 50 million, three years ago, the Amsoil 5 years ago- 38 mil, Blue cross arena renovations, rochester- 38 mil, The ralph, in todays dollars, 125 mil, I don't know how much the new Bentley rink will cost. I'm guessing at 25.

Comment

The original donation was only to get the program started up.

ASU is trying to work with the Coyotes on their new arena, but it's going to be at least three years before that arena is built and functioning.

Comment

ASU is trying to work with the Coyotes on their new arena, but it's going to be at least three years before that arena is built and functioning.
                            I know ASU is going to have to live with above average travel miles/cost, but I don't think ASU has any interest in sharing a facility with the Coyotes in Hamilton, ONT.
                            Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I posted this on the Lake State thread, but it mentions s few other WCHA schools as well.

Interesting article about LSSU and athletic subsidies today. - From MLive.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...cart_big-photo

Comment

Originally posted by potternmu View Post
                                I posted this on the Lake State thread, but it mentions s few other WCHA schools as well.

Interesting article about LSSU and athletic subsidies today. - From MLive.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...cart_big-photo
                                That faculty president is delusional is she thinks she's getting any money from athletics cuts. If cuts come, it'll be out of desperation to balance the budget, and academics will see cuts simultaneously.
                                BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X