2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

I'd like to thank Shirtless Guy, BeaverHockeyFan, and UAHStatman for help with this: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/05...he-2016-ncaas/

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I'd like to thank Shirtless Guy, BeaverHockeyFan, and UAHStatman for help with this: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/05...he-2016-ncaas/

GFM
      FFS, please...stop torturing me.

Split with UAA and they were in - they failed. I will take that to my grave.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        FFS, please...stop torturing me.
        What, you don't want me to combine my BELOW tool with Shirtless's PWR predictor and do sensitivity analysis on which games were the most crucial? Spoilsport.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
          Just a quick note - LSSU did play a NCHC team - one game against North Dakota to open the season (a loss)
          Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
            Just a quick note - LSSU did play a NCHC team - one game against North Dakota to open the season (a loss)
            Thanks — I overlooked that in the middle of the night. I updated the post with credit.

GFM
            Last edited by gfmorris; 05-21-2016, 01:19 PM.
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

It's late May, so ... silly season.

I'll ask: what's so bad about being on the short end of a 2-for-1? I know that y'all from the oWCHA or CCHA are used to having the name schools in your home rink most every year, but is going every other year really the worst thing in the world? Man, I'd love to have 2-for-1s with good teams. If your choice is 2-for-1 or not at all, what do you choose?

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I think like anything in the world, people would rather than more than less. If there was three dollars to be split, would you want one dollar or two dollars. Most people would want the $2, but I suppose if you're flat broke either option looks good because it's more money than you have now.

For me personally, anything other than one for one deals comes across as one team is going out of their way to do another team a favor by playing them. Unless you're getting handed a seven figure check to play a certain team, no one is college hockey is that heads and tails above anyone else that they should be doing 2-1 deals. Booking a 2-1 deal is just stroking someone's ego.

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

It's late May, so ... silly season.

I'll ask: what's so bad about being on the short end of a 2-for-1? I know that y'all from the oWCHA or CCHA are used to having the name schools in your home rink most every year, but is going every other year really the worst thing in the world? Man, I'd love to have 2-for-1s with good teams. If your choice is 2-for-1 or not at all, what do you choose?

GFM
                  I get your point, which I think ultimately comes down to "What are my options?" Fortunately, geography and some accommodating athletic directors have allowed us to host some quality opponents (and teams our fans want to see) since the start of the "new" WCHA. The geography thing is why I think some fans of the Michigan schools are a little testy about the 2 for 1s, and I don't blame them. A nearby school, particularly one supported by the same taxpayers that support your school, shouldn't be demanding a 2 for 1.

But (and sorry if this sounds demeaning, since I don't mean it to be) if you're UAH, with nobody nearby and you haven't been able to host many non-con foes in recent years, I would tend to agree that you take what you can get, provided the 2 for 1 offer is from a school of at least a certain amount of leverage in the negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    I get your point, which I think ultimately comes down to "What are my options?" Fortunately, geography and some accommodating athletic directors have allowed us to host some quality opponents (and teams our fans want to see) since the start of the "new" WCHA. The geography thing is why I think some fans of the Michigan schools are a little testy about the 2 for 1s, and I don't blame them. A nearby school, particularly one supported by the same taxpayers that support your school, shouldn't be demanding a 2 for 1.

But (and sorry if this sounds demeaning, since I don't mean it to be) if you're UAH, with nobody nearby and you haven't been able to host many non-con foes in recent years, I would tend to agree that you take what you can get, provided the 2 for 1 offer is from a school of at least a certain amount of leverage in the negotiations.
                    Hey, I think that's exactly where I come from, but I'll note that this has pretty much always been our situation since moving to D-I in 1999. We've played a lot of top teams ... on the road. We got St. Cloud in three years ago purely because Nic Dowd is from here and Motzko promised him that he'd schedule UAH before Nic graduated. Every so often, we get a Yale, Princeton, or an Ohio State in here, but ... shoot, we'd be happy with the occasional 2-for-1. Sure, the Colorado College deal was a 1-for-1, but ... yay, CC. I'd have to look at how many of our non-AHA visits were reciprocated. [This includes Ferris and Lake, who were both good about 1-for-1s with us.]

But also, I figure that our collective nWCHA need for a stronger PWR dictates that we take 2-for-1s some of the time.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

With 60 D-I teams out there, not even AIC should be accepting 2-for-1 deals. Assuming you don't want to schedule a conference team to fill a non-conference game slot, there are roughly 50 options available to fill those games. If an opponent wants a 2-for-1 deal, tell them to pound sand and move on to the next team. If teams start taking a stand they'll get the message eventually.

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        With 60 D-I teams out there, not even AIC should be accepting 2-for-1 deals. Assuming you don't want to schedule a conference team to fill a non-conference game slot, there are roughly 50 options available to fill those games. If an opponent wants a 2-for-1 deal, tell them to pound sand and move on to the next team. If teams start taking a stand they'll get the message eventually.

Ryan J
                        Outstanding!!!
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          ... and a tiny number of non-conference games for each school, all that have scheduling issues.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
                            I suspect the teams that demand 2 for 1 are the teams that can. They are teams with no difficulty filling a schedule.
                            If $3 are available, everyone would prefer $2, but only foolish pride causes you to not take the $1.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I suspect the teams that demand 2 for 1 are the teams that can. They are teams with no difficulty filling a schedule.
                              If $3 are available, everyone would prefer $2, but only foolish pride causes you to not take the $1.
                              If everyone refuses to settle for $1, we all would get $1.50...
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                If everyone refuses to settle for $1, we all would get $1.50...
                                Yeah, "If". But that's why Hobbes became famous.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X