Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's Frozen Four not televised.

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    U of MN had women playing club hockey back around 1981 or so, I know because it was the ONLY time I have ever bought food at college hockey games (to check out the cute girls in hockey jerseys selling food to raise money so they could play) apparently they secured some of their equipment from the men's team that was no longer needed

also there were girls playing in the early 70's in leagues where I lived

maybe someone here knows the history better
    As many here know, I was on the UNH team that Bluffoon referred to. Yes, indeed, we did travel to the U of Minn in 1981 to play in a tournament that they were hosting, and invited us to. And we won, keeping our 3 year plus winning streak alive.

It gets old, this defense of what was undisputedly the strongest team for many years. Of course the teams and players now are better than we were, but the game has grown over 40 years. I don't hear too many people saying the original 6 in the NHL who made history should be discounted, or have asterisks next to their accomplishments because the game and players are so much better and faster. Where do you think they came from?
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
      You could also easily add a week by either pushing back the start of the regular season (starting the Hockey season in September has always been strange to me anyway) or simply adding a bye week before the Frozen Four, just like the mens game.

FWIW, I'm looking at the overnight numbers from Milwaukee and the The CBS Tape-Delayed broadcast of the Championship yesterday drew a 1 rating and 3 share. That equals about 9,000 viewers. While that's not exactly good, it actually was better than anything else on broadcast television from 1-2pm. For comparison, it was also a little better than the number for a Preseason Brewers game that started at 3pm (0.8 rating/2 share) and about half the audience of Golf on NBC (2.3/6). Again, those are only numbers from the Milwaukee Market.
      It was right around lunch time on Easter Sunday, and I imagine the network knew that. I thought it was actually good that they cut the between periods out. A casual viewer who was surfing and stopped is more likely to watch the whole game without the delays.
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

AMEN!
        different era's aren't the fault of the people that played back then. every sport has evolved with superior athletes.
        Heck, look up Mario Lemieux's first goal on Gilles Gilbert...a high school girl goalie could have done better. and Bob Cousy (one handed dribbler) would be laughed out of building if he tried out for the NBA.
        DC78-82, don't listen to the nay-sayers. it doesn't fit their agenda of west is best. it's still the best streak in Women's Hockey...

Comment

Why don't the guy's and gal's have the final 4 the same weekend on the same days? When you buy the men's tickets, you get free access to the women's. Women's tix could be like 5 bucks otherwise.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Why don't the guy's and gal's have the final 4 the same weekend on the same days? When you buy the men's tickets, you get free access to the women's. Women's tix could be like 5 bucks otherwise.
            Do you think fans without a horse in the race will stay for 4 hockey games on Thursday? I'd love to but I'm bringing my girlfriend to Tampa who I'm not sure will struggle through 2 games (she's been to 2 Clarkson men's games this year and a couple of Army games, but that was her first experience in college hockey). Personally, I'd do it and love it but I can't see it happening. You also run into the problem of TV rights. What if both women's games go into OT or multiple OT? nESPN is not going to be happy if they have to adjust program significantly to show the men's FF... heck, I'm not really sure they want to show it in the first place.
            Clarkson Golden Knights Men
            10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
            5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
            21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
            ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
            ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
            12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
            National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
              Do you think fans without a horse in the race will stay for 4 hockey games on Thursday? I'd love to but I'm bringing my girlfriend to Tampa who I'm not sure will struggle through 2 games (she's been to 2 Clarkson men's games this year and a couple of Army games, but that was her first experience in college hockey). Personally, I'd do it and love it but I can't see it happening. You also run into the problem of TV rights. What if both women's games go into OT or multiple OT? nESPN is not going to be happy if they have to adjust program significantly to show the men's FF... heck, I'm not really sure they want to show it in the first place.
              Just trying to cross pollinate. I think you'd get a lot of people who would attend a women's semi if it was free. People there attending love hockey. Have the men's semis Thursday, women's semis Friday, the women's final Saturday @ 1 and the men's final Saturday @ 7.

In a few years UM and UW men's and women's teams could share the same plane. Big travel savings for the NC$$. Make a lot of cents.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                As many here know, I was on the UNH team that Bluffoon referred to. Yes, indeed, we did travel to the U of Minn in 1981 to play in a tournament that they were hosting, and invited us to. And we won, keeping our 3 year plus winning streak alive.

It gets old, this defense of what was undisputedly the strongest team for many years. Of course the teams and players now are better than we were, but the game has grown over 40 years. I don't hear too many people saying the original 6 in the NHL who made history should be discounted, or have asterisks next to their accomplishments because the game and players are so much better and faster. Where do you think they came from?
                Preach
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by dc78-82 View Post
                  as many here know, i was on the unh team that bluffoon referred to. Yes, indeed, we did travel to the u of minn in 1981 to play in a tournament that they were hosting, and invited us to. And we won, keeping our 3 year plus winning streak alive.

It gets old, this defense of what was undisputedly the strongest team for many years. Of course the teams and players now are better than we were, but the game has grown over 40 years. I don't hear too many people saying the original 6 in the nhl who made history should be discounted, or have asterisks next to their accomplishments because the game and players are so much better and faster. Where do you think they came from?
                  this !!!!!!

Comment

There was an interesting article that appeared in the 10/24/14 edition of the Pioneer Press about the first club teams at the University of Minnesota (see link). These women, Ring-Jarvi, Deb Mueller and others were the pioneers in a game that my wife and I truly love, women's ice hockey. Their contribution cannot be overstated in the creation and growth of that game. My wife and I have not missed a Gopher women's home game in the past 14 years. We also have men's season tickets, but we sell our men's tickets if there is a conflict between the two.

I agree that there is no reason to compare one eras accomplishments in sports with another's. In 2013 AJ Mleczko brought up UNH's win streak when asked if the Gopher's 41-0 team was the best of all time. She then said you can't compare eras. Well then, don't compare them. I thought she and the play-by-play guy on CBS did an excellent job of broadcasting the championship game this year. They didn't even pronounce #26's name as if it was a river in D.C. which I heard from another broadcaster this year.

There used to be a former wrestler that had a gas station in International Falls in the 70's. It's a good thing I never asked him how he thought his 1932 Bears would have done against the '67 Packers. I may never have been able to remove my gas cap again. It's probably best not to bring such comparisons up in the first place.

http://www.twincities.com/2014/10/24...-if-not-skill/
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-29-2016, 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                      There was an interesting article that appeared in the 10/24/14 edition of the Pioneer Press about the first club teams at the University of Minnesota (see link). These women, Ring-Jarvi, Deb Mueller and others were the pioneers in a game that my wife and I truly love, women's ice hockey. Their contribution cannot be overstated in the creation and growth of that game. My wife and I have not missed a Gopher women's home game in the past 14 years. We also have men's season tickets, but we sell our men's tickets if there is a conflict between the two.

I agree that there is no reason to compare one eras accomplishments in sports with another's. In 2013 AJ Mleczko brought up UNH's win streak when asked if the Gopher's 41-0 team was the best of all time. She then said you can't compare eras. Well then, don't compare them. I thought she and the play-by-play guy on CBS did an excellent job of broadcasting the championship game this year. They didn't even pronounce #26's name as if it was a river in D.C. which I heard from another broadcaster this year.
                      There used to be a former wrestler that had a gas station in International Falls in the 70's. It's a good thing I never asked him how he thought the 1932 Bears would have done against the '67 Packers. I may never have been able to remove my gas cap again. It's probably best not to bring such comparisons up in the first place.

http://www.twincities.com/2014/10/24...-if-not-skill/
                      I don't know if this is what your referring to but Mike Max of WCCO sports did say her name just like the river in D.C.

Come on, man...That's downright embarrassing for a local sports guy to not prep better than that.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        I don't know if this is what your referring to but Mike Max of WCCO sports did say her name just like the river in D.C.

Come on, man...That's downright embarrassing for a local sports guy to not prep better than that.
                        Now that I think about it, it was a PA announcer at one of the away games we attended, either St Cloud, UMD, Columbus or the HOF game.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

This is more about the original post about the Women's Frozen Four not being televised.

Maybe if everyone on this board wrote letters to the NCAA, CBS, the sponsors of the Tournament, the advertisers (money talks) and everyone else that you can think of, maybe even your congressional representatives (the whole title IX thing). If enough people call and write letters maybe we can change their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                            I thought she and the play-by-play guy on CBS did an excellent job of broadcasting the championship game this year.
                            I thought they were fairly clueless throughout. It started with the PBP guy introducing A.J. as someone who won a national championship at Harvard and immediately followed that with saying Minnesota was attempting to win its 6th national (not NCAA) title, and he continued that throughout. If Harvard's AWCHA national championship counts, then add in Minnesota's the following year. A.J. has done enough of these and is supposedly on because she is a women's hockey expert, so one of them should have figured it out at some point.

A.J. was her usual biased self. Every time a BC player hit the ice, she'd say something like, "I'm surprised there wasn't a call there." When Potomak got checked into the boards while the Gophers were on the power play and action was stopped, she immediately said it was a good no-call, and it was only after the replay she had to admit that it should have been a call on Bender. When Camarenesi got hit late in the third, then she says that it may have been a penalty earlier but you can't make that call late in the game. I think she just kind of makes up her officiating rules as she goes. She said the first penalty on BC was weak, which it was, but she didn't offer the same opinion on the Gophers' penalty on Stecklein after Carpenter basically skated into her in front of the net; what's #2 supposed to do, move out of the way? Neither of them commented on the fact that the linesman took away an almost certain Minnesota goal with a minute left when he called hand pass on Schipper when she blocked a shot, swept it to the boards with her arm and then won the race to the puck and passed it to Potomak who was going in on the empty net.

I'm not sure that the linesmen knew what offside is, because they called both teams offside all game, and several of them looked good at the line. The Eagles probably got the worst of those errors.

Overall, I agree that the PBP guy was an upgrade over the previous two years, but then that isn't saying a lot. At least he got most of the names pronounced correctly, although he struggled with identifying who was who (he called #6 Kessel a few times, and then he'd identify #8 as Baldwin.) I guess that happens when announcing games with unfamiliar teams.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Nora's name was always an adventure even after 4 years and everything there was an odds on chance of the local sports wieners getting it wrong.
                              Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              A.J. was her usual biased self. Every time a BC player hit the ice, she'd say something like, "I'm surprised there wasn't a call there." . . .
                              I found her hilarious! SHe would have had to put on a jersey & hit the ice to have been anymore pro-BC. Despite all the whining about biased announcers I think most do OK but she was a hoot. but not in a good way
                              Last edited by ne7minder; 03-29-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                I thought they were fairly clueless throughout. It started with the PBP guy introducing A.J. as someone who won a national championship at Harvard and immediately followed that with saying Minnesota was attempting to win its 6th national (not NCAA) title, and he continued that throughout. If Harvard's AWCHA national championship counts, then add in Minnesota's the following year. A.J. has done enough of these and is supposedly on because she is a women's hockey expert, so one of them should have figured it out at some point.

A.J. was her usual biased self. Every time a BC player hit the ice, she'd say something like, "I'm surprised there wasn't a call there." When Potomak got checked into the boards while the Gophers were on the power play and action was stopped, she immediately said it was a good no-call, and it was only after the replay she had to admit that it should have been a call on Bender. When Camarenesi got hit late in the third, then she says that it may have been a penalty earlier but you can't make that call late in the game. I think she just kind of makes up her officiating rules as she goes. She said the first penalty on BC was weak, which it was, but she didn't offer the same opinion on the Gophers' penalty on Stecklein after Carpenter basically skated into her in front of the net; what's #2 supposed to do, move out of the way? Neither of them commented on the fact that the linesman took away an almost certain Minnesota goal with a minute left when he called hand pass on Schipper when she blocked a shot, swept it to the boards with her arm and then won the race to the puck and passed it to Potomak who was going in on the empty net.

I'm not sure that the linesmen knew what offside is, because they called both teams offside all game, and several of them looked good at the line. The Eagles probably got the worst of those errors.

Overall, I agree that the PBP guy was an upgrade over the previous two years, but then that isn't saying a lot. At least he got most of the names pronounced correctly, although he struggled with identifying who was who (he called #6 Kessel a few times, and then he'd identify #8 as Baldwin.) I guess that happens when announcing games with unfamiliar teams.

Back to that feisty mood you were in a few years ago...I like it.

And I forgot to mention a few weeks ago...the article you wrote about the NCAA brackets...great article...feisty reasoned opinion added to political correctness out the window...I liked that even more.

Comment

Working...
                                X