Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 IIHF Women's World Championship

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    My interpretation of Timothy A's saying he is a little bitter about Kessel is that he is feeling that pit of the stomach upset that a major rival fan gets when something like the Kessel situation happens to help said rival. Kessel did in fact say she was retired before the season began so it's understandable. And besides his "bitter" is no where near the level of vitriol that comes from HB.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. On a personal level I am glad she can go about her daily life doing the things she loves, of course that is a wonderful thing.

Her last name also adds to the bitterness. Most WI fans have a certain level of contempt for her older sibling and his going to rodentland certainly played a role in Ms. Kessel ending up there as well. Obviously both would have looked awesome in Cardinal and White. It's hard to see legacy type players from your home state go elsewhere. WI does not produce that many.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Winner winner chicken dinner. On a personal level I am glad she can go about her daily life doing the things she loves, of course that is a wonderful thing.

Her last name also adds to the bitterness. Most WI fans have a certain level of contempt for her older sibling and his going to rodentland certainly played a role in Ms. Kessel ending up there as well. Obviously both would have looked awesome in Cardinal and White. It's hard to see legacy type players from your home state go elsewhere. WI does not produce that many.
      so why does such a high percentage leave? she's not the only one

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        so why does such a high percentage leave? she's not the only one
        I'll admit that I don't follow in-state recruits too much, but outside of Kessel, I'm not sure how many impact players have left to play elsewhere. Certainly not a "high percentage". In stark comparison to the men's program, the UW women almost always land the top in-state recruits. Just not a lot to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          I'll admit that I don't follow in-state recruits too much, but outside of Kessel, I'm not sure how many impact players have left to play elsewhere. Certainly not a "high percentage". In stark comparison to the men's program, the UW women almost always land the top in-state recruits. Just not a lot to choose from.
          players like that come only one or two a year in the US & Canada combined, I'm talking about all hockey players

I am only familar with the ones that have played in the WCHA
          off the top of my head:
          Julia Tylke just helped SCSU improve quite a bit compared to what they have been doing
          Claudia Keplar has been one of OSU's best
          same for Jamie Kenyon at UMD

it just seems that if you want to build girls/womens hockey in the state, you need to keep the players that you do develop
          occasionally you are going to lose some, but
          seems to me the best way to encourage girls to play and develop good skills is to let them know there is a place for them if they do

Comment

I was aiming much more on the men's side of the ledger than the women's. I trust MJ in that if he doesn't sign an in-state player, then he had better options outside of the state, other than Kessel.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I was aiming much more on the men's side of the ledger than the women's. I trust MJ in that if he doesn't sign an in-state player, then he had better options outside of the state, other than Kessel.
              as long as you people are happy ...

Comment

players like that come only one or two a year in the US & Canada combined, I'm talking about all hockey players

off the top of my head:
                Julia Tylke just helped SCSU improve quite a bit compared to what they have been doing

it just seems that if you want to build girls/womens hockey in the state, you need to keep the players that you do develop
                occasionally you are going to lose some, but
                seems to me the best way to encourage girls to play and develop good skills is to let them know there is a place for them if they do
                Those are all solid players and Kepler always seems to score when she comes back to LaBahn. Kenyon's older sister played for the Badgers so maybe she wanted to go somewhere else, don't really know. Honestly, I didn't know Tylke was from Wisconsin. I'll admit that with the Badgers seemingly short at forwards (the Cianfarano de-commit still stings), those players would be nice to have.

Unfortunately, with only one D-1 hockey school in Wisconsin (which will probably never change), there are never going to be many open roster spots for Wisconsin-born players. In order to remain a consistent national title contender, they have to recruit coast-to-coast, even if they miss out on a couple of in-state players that could/should be playing for them.

Comment

Those are all solid players and Kepler always seems to score when she comes back to LaBahn. Kenyon's older sister played for the Badgers so maybe she wanted to go somewhere else, don't really know. Honestly, I didn't know Tylke was from Wisconsin. I'll admit that with the Badgers seemingly short at forwards (the Cianfarano de-commit still stings), those players would be nice to have.
                  Cianfarano not coming to UW could have been that missing piece of the puzzle this last year and a huge missing piece for next year. Tristar Scoop said she had academic issues, which to me sucks even more.

Comment

off the top of my head:
                    A few others that come to mind in terms of Players from all Sources making a huge difference in WCHA programs would be Spooner at OSU and Karvinen at ND.

Comment

Working...
                    X