• Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 IIHF Women's World Championship

Here's the official recap...

http://www.worldwomen2016.com/en/gam...03/CAN-vs-FIN/

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      In what was pretty much a penalty free game until about half way through the third things started to change rapidly...dumb, unnecessary penalty by Wakefield late in the game away from the play to potentially open the door for the Fins to let them back in the game...and the miscue by Jenner.
      Yup they better stay clear of those dumb penalties tomorrow. Love the fact that the refs let them play for most of the game. That knee on knee by Wakefield on Karvinen could have done a lot more damage than it did.

On the two unsuccessful breakaways earlier in the game I thought to myself "too bad that wasn't Spooner on those breakaways" then she got one while Canada was short handed in the third and bagged it. I don't think I've watched any female player as successful on breakaways as Spooner. She's off the charts.
      Well I've seen Poulin on some breakaways. Like Spooner she has the skils to pull it to the backhand and put it upstairs in tight coming in at speed. Agree that Spooner has great skill and wheels, she has scored some great goals for OSU in the past.

Full marks and then some to the Fins...tremendous effort right to the final buzzer. Love their coach for the 6 on 4's and his decision to continue with it even after Canada scored on the third one. It was the right decision with only two or three minutes left in the game.
      I like the Fin coaches decisions as well. Funnily enough the broadcasters thought it was too risky of a move. I'm with you. Their PP is one of the Fin's strengths, so why not use it with its full advantage when you really need it.

The Fins were top 3 tonight...Wow! Just a little less firepower but not enough to put them out of contention.
      Yup Fins are clearly the next best team after the two big powers. Love their coach. He seems to get the best out of his team for sure and is not afraid to push buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        I like the Fin coaches decisions as well. Funnily enough the broadcasters thought it was too risky of a move. I'm with you.
        Yeah, I was surprised to hear Rod Black say that and unfortunately I couldn't make out Cheryl Pounder's response, (may have to go back and replay that part). He's from here so it's not like he hasn't been exposed to the game...but I guess you can say the same thing about pretty much any location in this country. Maybe he just didn't think it through. I'd say that with the way the Fins had played, and with their having the best pp in the tournament, that the odds were in their favour plus there was almost no clock left.

It may not have been the "one beautiful game" that their coach was referring to with respect to the scoreboard but it certainly was one beautiful game played by his team and him.

Can't give them enough praise.

Comment

Highlights from last night's Finland - Canada game...but poor quality video.

http://www.worldwomen2016.com/en/media/

Comment

Russia - Finland in the Bronze Medal Game - scoreless after one.

Morozova playing decently well today in goal for Russia.

Fairly quick game so far.

Comment

Russia - Finland in the Bronze Medal Game - scoreless after one.

Morozova playing decently well today in goal for Russia.

Fairly quick game so far.
              Still no score halfway into the third.

Comment

Still no score halfway into the third.
                And going to a 10-minute OT, scoreless.

Finland with 23 seconds of PP time. 4-on-4 after the penalty expires.

Saves through regulation: Morozova (RUS) with 28, Raisanen (FIN) with 19.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

No scoring in the overtime, and Russia wins the shootout 2-0 in 3 (well, 2 1/2) rounds. Anna Shukina and Olga Sosina with the shootout goals.

Final SOG through OT were 32-22 Finland. Nadezhda Morozova (RUS) with 32 saves, Merri Raisanen (FIN) with 22.

EDIT: Box score here. Waiting on recap to be posted.
                  Last edited by CrazyDave; 04-04-2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    No scoring in the overtime, and Russia wins the shootout 2-0 in 3 (well, 2 1/2) rounds. Anna Shukina and Olga Sosina with the shootout goals.

Final SOG through OT were 32-22 Finland. Nadezhda Morozova (RUS) with 32 saves, Merri Raisanen (FIN) with 22.

Game recap: Sosina shoots to thrill!

Comment

u s a! u s a! u s a!
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post

There was a cross barr and a post in the shootout. The two Russian goals in the shoot-out were both clean shots.

Gotta feel a bit for Räisänen. Wins yet another player of the game award, but comes up empty handed when it comes to the medals.

Comment

Rattray and Howe aren't dressing for Canada, so Go Coach Duggan and Team USA!
                          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                          12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

There was a cross barr and a post in the shootout. The two Russian goals in the shoot-out were both clean shots.

Gotta feel a bit for Räisänen. Wins yet another player of the game award, but comes up empty handed when it comes to the medals.
                            This result is somewhat of a shocker considering how Finland played last night against Canada. I thought they'd be all over Russia if they hadn't burnt themselves out last night. Quick game but surprising result.

Comment

This result is somewhat of a shocker considering how Finland played last night against Canada. I thought they'd be all over Russia if they hadn't burnt themselves out last night. Quick game but surprising result.
                              Both teams looked gassed during the OT.

Comment

This has been some week in sports and it's only Monday.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X