Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Engineers 2016-2017: 10 Years on

Originally posted by hab View Post
    I'm not usually considered to be a pessimist when it comes to RPI hockey, but in my opinion the Engineers still face a huge challenge in making the playoffs. I believe they will need at least a tie against Quinnipiac or Princeton and that will be very tough because a) they are very good teams; b) they are playing at home; and c) these are big games for them as they are in a battle for home ice advantage in the playoffs.

I think that RPI has to assume that Harvard will win both their games at home on the final weekend, against a weak Brown team and a Yale team that has much less to play for than Harvard (Yale can't finish higher than their current 7th spot and has very little chance of finishing eighth...and cant finish out of the playoffs).
    I do not think Harvard beats Yale if and this is a big if, if Yale gets any type of goaltending. That has been their achilles heal all season. Yale won at home 3-2 without scoring from their #1 line but Yales goalie had to stop 40+SOG in the game. Harvards only scores came with an extra attacker and on the PP. My guess is this will be a tie or a close Yale win.
    Last edited by vicb; 02-12-2017, 04:48 PM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

... a Yale team that has much less to play for than Harvard (Yale can't finish higher than their current 7th spot and has very little chance of finishing eighth...and cant finish out of the playoffs).
      I'd think that the opportunity for a Yale team in any sport to knock Harvard out of the postseason has some value. That should especially be true in a sport like women's hockey where the Crimson have long been a "have" while the Bulldogs are usually a "have not".
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I'd think that the opportunity for a Yale team in any sport to knock Harvard out of the postseason has some value. That should especially be true in a sport like women's hockey where the Crimson have long been a "have" while the Bulldogs are usually a "have not".
        Originally posted by vicb View Post
        I do not think Harvard beats Yale if and this is a big if, if Yale gets any type of goaltending. That has been their achilles heal all season. Yale won at home 3-2 without scoring from their #1 line but Yales goalie had to stop 40+SOG in the game. Harvards only scores came with an extra attacker and on the PP. My guess is this will be a tie or a close Yale win.
        You may be right. In any event RPI needs to focus on what they can control, and find some way to come up with a T or a W on a tough road trip.
        Last edited by hab; 02-12-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

You may be right. In any event RPI needs to focus on what they can control, and find some way to come up with a T or a W on a tough road trip.
          Anyone notice the play vs Harvard was a little different? FYI shots on goal especially in the women's game is for the most part a terrible indicator

Comment

So it turns out I had about 20 games doubled up in my results file, but only one was an ECAC game, and fixing it had almost no effect on the simulation. Basically, a point gets us in. If we don't manage to earn at least one point (which is the most likely outcome), we have about an 85% chance to make the playoffs. If we should get in, we will almost definitely head to Clarkson, unless we pull at least three points and pass Yale for seventh. End of the day, just go out there and win a game. Easy as that.

RPI KRACH (RRWP): 37.02 (0.3148)

MCTs (Mean/Median/Mode/Range):
            Points - 15.79 / 15 / 15 / 15 - 19
            Rank - 8.08 / 8 / 8 / 7 - 9
            Playoffs - 91.7%
            Most likely opponent - at Clarkson (91.3%)

Conference Rankings:
            1. Clarkson
            2. SLU
            3. Cornell
            4. Princeton
              —————
            5. Quinnipiac
            6. Colgate
            7. Yale
            8. RPI
              —————
              —————
            9. Harvard
            10. Dartmouth
            11. Brown
            12. Union

RPI Points vs. Position
            Code:
               |     7     8     9
            ----------------------
            15 |        45.6   8.3
            16 |        19.8      
            17 |        21.0      
            18 |   0.1   3.4      
            19 |   0.2   1.5
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I'm not usually considered to be a pessimist when it comes to RPI hockey, but in my opinion the Engineers still face a huge challenge in making the playoffs. I believe they will need at least a tie against Quinnipiac or Princeton and that will be very tough because a) they are very good teams; b) they are playing at home; and c) these are big games for them as they are in a battle for home ice advantage in the playoffs.

I think that RPI has to assume that Harvard will win both their games at home on the final weekend, against a weak Brown team and a Yale team that has much less to play for than Harvard (Yale can't finish higher than their current 7th spot and has very little chance of finishing eighth...and cant finish out of the playoffs).
              I hate to say "I told you so"...but....clearly now RPI needs to come up with the game of their year against Princeton to come away with a tie or win. They were totally dominated by QU tonight. Harvard will beat Brown tomorrow. Can the Engineers dig deep or is it the end of the season.....?

Comment

I hate to say "I told you so"...but....clearly now RPI needs to come up with the game of their year against Princeton to come away with a tie or win. They were totally dominated by QU tonight. Harvard will beat Brown tomorrow. Can the Engineers dig deep or is it the end of the season.....?
                Harvard is no lock to beat Brown today. Don't forget, we lost to Union at home. We have only won back to back once this season and that was against Dartmouth and Brown with a few days in between. We have not won a weekend series yet this season. This season has been an unmitigated disaster any way you look at it.

Comment

You're welcome. Have fun in Potsdam next weekend.

Comment

I can't believe that the RPI fans aren't celebrating here - better to back into the playoffs than not get in at all. I mean, seriously, it's not like you're shoo-in regulars every year. And if you're there you have a chance. Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, and Union wish that they had that chance. So celebrate a little for gosh sake.

Comment

Hope you all have fun in the playoffs, but there would be some grateful Gopher fans if you could manage to take at least one game from Clarkson. And the poll underway indicates that there are a lot of us that would please.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        I can't believe that the RPI fans aren't celebrating here - better to back into the playoffs than not get in at all. I mean, seriously, it's not like you're shoo-in regulars every year. And if you're there you have a chance. Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, and Union wish that they had that chance. So celebrate a little for gosh sake.
                        They're afraid to celebrate in case it jinxes their team in the playoffs. Lol.

Comment

Getting into the playoffs in the ECAC is never easy and so I don't take that for granted. Still, backing in is not fun. I really like this year's Engineer team but I'm not sure how they will be able to take 2 wins in Potsdam. Selander heroics. But a lot of other players have to come up with their best games of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post
                            Getting into the playoffs in the ECAC is never easy and so I don't take that for granted. Still, backing in is not fun. I really like this year's Engineer team but I'm not sure how they will be able to take 2 wins in Potsdam. Selander heroics. But a lot of other players have to come up with their best games of the year.
                            To take 2 wins in Potsdam they'd have to play Potsdam.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              To take 2 wins in Potsdam they'd have to play Potsdam.
                              Unless Clarkson is actually located in Potsdam, NY, which it is!

Comment

The team is happy, I mean one more week of free hockey. They are also realistic, know there's a chance, but a slim one. Bigger questions need to be asked and answered of the team than best game of the year needs to be played.

Comment

Working...
                                X