Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Engineers 2016-2017: 10 Years on

Originally posted by rpi hockey View Post
    Buy him out too if need be. If you don't include his 3 seasons as a d3 coach, he had 2 winning seasons. Change is long overdue. It will not be long before Union starts beating us.
    I'm pretty sure, at this point, it would require alumni donations. Buyouts can get expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
      Is this for real? If so, to me it seems pretty shocking that a D1 school is seeking donations for uniforms. While I recognize that RPI is a great engineering school, if you are a D1 recruit with any other options, why would you go to a school that doesn't support its program enough to by uniforms, even if its a 3rd set? Most programs have so much schwag for the girls with clothes, equipment etc. that it would be a hard sell in my opinion.
      I think they're a D3 school with D1 hockey just like Union and RIT and Clarkson and St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst. Am I missing any others?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        I'm pretty sure, at this point, it would require alumni donations. Buyouts can get expensive.
        With the records of the men's and women's coaches being so very similar wouldn't it be hard to justify not firing the women's coach now that they've fired the men's coach for his poor record/performance as a coach?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          With the records of the men's and women's coaches being so very similar wouldn't it be hard to justify not firing the women's coach now that they've fired the men's coach for his poor record/performance as a coach?
          Unless, of course, the administration doesn't really care about the success of the women's program. It's not like it makes the school any money.
          RPI Pep Band
          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
            Unless, of course, the administration doesn't really care about the success of the women's program. It's not like it makes the school any money.
            Neither does the men's team. Neither do many if any sports at a D3 school. So that's not a factor in the equation here.

Comment

I think they're a D3 school with D1 hockey just like Union and RIT and Clarkson and St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst. Am I missing any others?
              Mercyhurst is D-II. Colorado College on the men's side is also D-III.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                Is this for real? If so, to me it seems pretty shocking that a D1 school is seeking donations for uniforms. While I recognize that RPI is a great engineering school, if you are a D1 recruit with any other options, why would you go to a school that doesn't support its program enough to by uniforms, even if its a 3rd set? Most programs have so much schwag for the girls with clothes, equipment etc. that it would be a hard sell in my opinion.
                It was, for a 3rd set. Though I do agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I would think with the type of alums RPI produces, getting donations should not be that hard.

Based on the attendance I doubt the men's team was some huge money maker.

I would think this could be a Title IX issue if pushed.

Comment

Neither does the men's team. Neither do many if any sports at a D3 school. So that's not a factor in the equation here.
                    Sure, but I'm sure the men's team loses a lot less than the women's team does. The expenses are probably greater on that side, but they also sell an extra 2500+ tickets for every game.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

The part that is disappointing is that maybe if the school (and area) would support the female hockey program with attendance, they wouldn't have to be asking for money. The men's program aren't asking. RPI female hockey last year finished 2nd last in attendance. Not sure about this year but could be even worse. There were many teams that finished below them in terms of their wins and losses, but yet drew many more fans. Its like anything. If you support the program, it will flourish. More top end female hockey players will want to play at RPI if they know they are treated right and if they know they actually have a large fan base. It must be pretty upsetting for those players to play in a totally empty rink for every home game. I've started to follow the men's and woman's programs this year at RPI and one thing that I've noticed compared to other schools is how at RPI, the hockey as far as media attention, as far as fan base, basically in every aspect is focused on the men. Other schools, and pretty successful hockey programs, give the women's program much more attention. Just my 2 cents worth. Hopefully both teams at RPI next year improve drastically and both teams get the support and attention they deserve.

Comment

• Originally posted by 99hockey View Post
                        The part that is disappointing is that maybe if the school (and area) would support the female hockey program with attendance, they wouldn't have to be asking for money. The men's program aren't asking. RPI female hockey last year finished 2nd last in attendance. Not sure about this year but could be even worse. There were many teams that finished below them in terms of their wins and losses, but yet drew many more fans. Its like anything. If you support the program, it will flourish. More top end female hockey players will want to play at RPI if they know they are treated right and if they know they actually have a large fan base. It must be pretty upsetting for those players to play in a totally empty rink for every home game. I've started to follow the men's and woman's programs this year at RPI and one thing that I've noticed compared to other schools is how at RPI, the hockey as far as media attention, as far as fan base, basically in every aspect is focused on the men. Other schools, and pretty successful hockey programs, give the women's program much more attention. Just my 2 cents worth. Hopefully both teams at RPI next year improve drastically and both teams get the support and attention they deserve.
                        If the team was winning and getting no support then I would blame the school for not supporting the team enough. The team has a losing record year in year out. Who wants to watch a team not only lose but get outplayed and outshot every game? The team does not score a lot so the game has very little excitement for the average fan. Time will tell if the AD is serious about improving the women's program.

Comment

Originally posted by 99hockey View Post
                          I don't think getting more media attention is a big factor for getting better women recruits. It is nice to see once there.

Like most sports, winning comes first, fans follow. Yes, it does help to have a base, though not upsetting to have a mostly rink.

Comment

I agree with your comment, but let me reiterate my earlier comment. There are quite a few teams with a lot worse records than RPI that draw a considerable amount more fans to their home games. So why do their fans go watch a losing program. You have to start somewhere.

Comment

IIRC, this year men's season ticket holders received free admission to all of the home women's games with their season tickets.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                IIRC, this year men's season ticket holders received free admission to all of the home women's games with their season tickets.
                                You recall correctly.
                                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                                X