Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2016 NCAA Frozen Four

Originally posted by vicb View Post
    And then there were 2 of us that doubted both teams. And proud of it .
    Weren't there actually 4 of you depending on which of Wisconsin or Clarkson was chosen to win?
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      Those who never doubted.
      Can't claim I never doubted, but I held onto hope!

Comment

so what does neverminder get for winning the "guess when the the last undefeated team goes down"?
        although it was awfully girlie to pick WI as the winner

hey, I came awfully close to getting it right, a Clarkson-MN rematch would have been fun too

Comment

Nice article but the writer (Peter May) makes one little mistake:

"That score held — thanks in part to sensational goaltending by Minnesota’s Amanda Leveille — until Kessel converted a slap shot that caromed in off the right post 8 minutes 31 seconds into the third period."
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            Thank you:
            Badgers, Fighting Sioux, Beavers, Bulldogs, Huskies, Mavs, & Buckeyes
            for preparing the Gophers properly to win The championship.
            Good post.

Comment

I saw a tweet that the logo at center ice was the men's NCAA logo, not the ladies (they forgot the ponytail). True?

NVM, it was the HATS!!

@AJMleczko: Women's #NCAA hats given to Nat'l Champ @GopherWHockey in Durham, NH. With men's #FrozenFour logo. #insulting http://***********/AJMleczko/status/711976194011484160/photo/1
              Last edited by joecct; 03-21-2016, 04:18 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

No power play goals scored in the 3 games....wonder if that has ever happened before.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  so what does neverminder get for winning the "guess when the the last undefeated team goes down"?
                  although it was awfully girlie to pick WI as the winner

hey, I came awfully close to getting it right, a Clarkson-MN rematch would have been fun too
                  A laurel and hardy handshake.

Comment

Here's some nice recap videos courtesy of UNH Athletics.

Sights and Sounds From the NCAA Women's Ice Hockey National Championship Game...Crazy Dave made the cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki8n6FJk0EA

Semi 1: BC 3, Clarkson 2 in OT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wHaEHqZ0zc

Semi 2: Minnesota 3, Wisconsin 2 in OT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj62cxNm9gQ
                    THINK PINK
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.
                      You sure about that ?. The big teams in the West have always had a few top Canucks on their team who made an impact. No different this year......

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      All Tournament Team:

G - Amanda Leveile
                      D- Megan Keller
                      D - Lee Stecklein
                      F - Amanda Kessel
                      F - Sarah Potomak
                      F - Haley Skarupa

MOP: Potomak

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                        The big teams in the West have always had a few top Canucks on their team who made an impact.
                        I agree on the impact, but there have been years where "a few" meant "one." E.g., Leveille was the only Canadian on Minnesota's roster last year and Bobbi Ross was the lone Canadian in 2005.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'll say I'm happy that we saw 3 quality games, between 4 very deserving teams. A couple breaks in any of the games, and we could have had a completely different outcome.

I was very impressed with Minnesota. I really underestimated how much having Kessel back would help, and it's pretty amazing how much she improved from her first few games back on the ice (and she was pretty good in those first games back).

I was also quite impressed with BC. They certainly outplayed the Gophers at times - and really fought hard after going down by 3. While I don't think they are as talented as either MN or WI, and if they played 10 games, I'd pick either MN or WI to win about 8 times, they certainly are a scary team to face in a one and done situation.

I can't wait for 2017 and a roadtrip to St. Louis!

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                            I was very impressed with Minnesota.
                            I really don't think Minnesota played as well as they're capable of playing, and I'm sure honest BC fans would say the same about their team. About the latter I can't say, because I hadn't seen them nearly as much. But I think I can honestly say that about the Gophers, who I've seen play a whole bunch all season long.

In particular, Minnesota made an uncharacteristically high number of unforced errors coming out of their own zone. Too many long pass attempts by the D that were hurried and off the mark that resulted in unnecessary icing calls instead of just clearing the zone. And too many long cross-ice passes that were easily picked off that resulted in dangerous turnovers going the other way. I should say that the forwards were sometimes at fault by not presenting themselves as easy/shorter/open targets that would have led to cleaner/safer breakouts.

Perfection is never possible, but even in victory there is almost always room for improvement. Other than these two observations I do think the team played up to their usual high standards, in both zones, and most certainly rose to the occasion and deserved to win.

Again, don't mean to be too critical, just pointing out what I saw.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

BC had a great team this year. In some years, it wins the NC.

But folks got to remember that this Minnesota team was ridiculously stacked. You start with what is already a national championship team that is not far from an undefeated season. Sure you lose a few key players to graduation, but you replace them with a great transfer, ms. hockey from the top state Wiliamson, and the top player from Canada (and ultimately rookie of the year) in Potomak. Then you add back in a legendary Patty Kaz winner and one of the best players in the world...and on paper nobody is in the league. One could say that Carpenter and Skarupa's stats showed that they were probably superior. But you have to remember that MN had either the #1 or #2 SOS in the country and still rolled through much of it.

It took a UW team that was honed for years to play a defensive style with a goalie that put in one of the best years of women's college hockey. And that was a serious chance to stop MN...defense wins championships. And on night two, that might have worked. But the MN/UW game was on night one. The horses were ready to run. And although MN didn't dominate the game, the team carried play as the game went on.

BC had a chance...but not too much of one. You need to remember the Gophers are in that game every year...they're more nervous about not making it back than they are in playing in it. And again, the talent on paper at forward for MN was truly outstanding. One could argue that BC played somewhat close to MN. I don't know that I would say that for the second half...but remember, BC should have taken over. They needed two goals to win...MN should have been playing on their heels and they weren't. In the third, with a one goal lead...MN controlled the majority of play.

Once they made it past UW, it was Minnesota's to lose.
                              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                I really don't think Minnesota played as well as they're capable of playing, and I'm sure honest BC fans would say the same about their team. About the latter I can't say, because I hadn't seen them nearly as much. But I think I can honestly say that about the Gophers, who I've seen play a whole bunch all season long.

In particular, Minnesota made an uncharacteristically high number of unforced errors coming out of their own zone. Too many long pass attempts by the D that were hurried and off the mark that resulted in unnecessary icing calls instead of just clearing the zone. And too many long cross-ice passes that were easily picked off that resulted in dangerous turnovers going the other way. I should say that the forwards were sometimes at fault by not presenting themselves as easy/shorter/open targets that would have led to cleaner/safer breakouts.

Perfection is never possible, but even in victory there is almost always room for improvement. Other than these two observations I do think the team played up to their usual high standards, in both zones, and most certainly rose to the occasion and deserved to win.

Again, don't mean to be too critical, just pointing out what I saw.
                                Ted is correct, MN always find something to complain about
                                if you are thinking about moving to the Midwest, go to WI, Iowa, the Dakotas, ... anywhere except MN

Comment

Working...
                                X