Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    No, it shows that there are too many people care about terrible music.

And if you get distracted by recognizing an actor from something else he/she has done, you maybe don't have the mental capacity to watch a show like this.

That's right.

The way you perceive things should apply to everyone else.

That's so you.

Comment

And if you get distracted by recognizing an actor from something else he/she has done, you maybe don't have the mental capacity to watch a show like this.
      And they call me cranky...

My real problem with GoT is if a character doesn't appear in a couple episodes in a row I completely forget who they are. It's like I lack object permanence when it comes to series.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

My real problem with GoT is if a character doesn't appear in a couple episodes in a row I completely forget who they are. It's like I lack object permanence when it comes to series.

You also lack the mental capacity to watch this show... a fantasy epic...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          The second two are legitimate criticisms.

As a director, you want to keep your audience in the moment.

The fact that so many people are saying that it was "distracting" or "took them out of the moment" shows that the directors made a mistake - in execution, not concept.

If it didn't bother you or distract you... great.
          I guess I just don't see it. Nothing about the guy seemed so far out of place to me that it was distracting in any way. The show has brought in so many other international musical acts to perform as the various troubadours that he's really just become yet one more to me.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Early on in the series, I had this issue. Not so much anymore, probably just because I have too much GoT knowledge in my head now.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You also lack the mental capacity to watch this show... a fantasy epic...
              Seriously, if you can't watch a show or a movie, and recognize that the actors are playing a role, and are not themselves, then why are you even watching? Watching anything requires you to disconnect with reality, and understand that it is a story. It has no impact whether it is Ed Sheeren or some other shlub bit actor playing the role.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

No, it shows that there are too many people care about terrible music.

I don't have a problem with cameos. Yes, they can be very briefly distracting, sometimes intentionally so. They're also fun. A lot of really great movies, made by some of our best directors, have had cameo appearances in them. The hoopla over this cameo (which I never would have noticed if someone hadn't pointed it out to me) just shows me that some have gotten a little too wound up over the series. Probably good it's coming to an end.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Seriously, if you can't watch a show or a movie, and recognize that the actors are playing a role, and are not themselves, then why are you even watching? Watching anything requires you to disconnect with reality, and understand that it is a story. It has no impact whether it is Ed Sheeren or some other shlub bit actor playing the role.

The topic was brought up and I gave my .02

For that I am then lumped in with mouth breathers and those lacking the mental capacity to watch a fantasy epic.

My position is hardly an outlier and I didn't indicate that everyone else needed to see this the way that I did.

They can have an army of pop stars for all I care.

Just make sure that if you are putting a famous non-actor into a scene that they don't look too much like their actual real life self. Don't put a contemporary Justin Bieber/Harry Styles/half the "popular" kids in my son's school/Ed Sheeran hairdo on the one famous pop star in a scene where no one else in the show looks like that because it doesn't fit the era.

Didn't ruin the show for me and I don't have a problem with Sheeran or his music or his acting. Took me out of the scene for a moment and then I ignored it.

I understand though why many didn't like his cameo. I also understand those that can't understand the fuss.

My wife had the same reaction as I did and we didn't watch it together. Also - she's a fan of his music although she's not in her 30s nor is our marriage crumbling... that I know of.

GoT hasn't been cheeky in any way to this point and we're both hoping that they don't go in that direction.

And Clown... the other musicians in the show have mostly had bit/background parts and probably weren't even recognizable to their own parents.

Finally, I'm perfectly able to not notice actors for who they are or have been - Odenkirk in Fargo comes to mind. Never once thought he was anything like Saul which is a credit to his acting and the part written for him.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I don't have a problem with cameos. Yes, they can be very briefly distracting, sometimes intentionally so. They're also fun.
                    Cameos were more fun when the atmosphere of the movie (of the whole culture) wasn't winky self-reference. I know I'm not the target demo for anything but Depends at this point, but the mincing irony of the culture has gone on for so long and become so boring and uninspired that anything that reeks of it is suspect now.

The revolutionary thing a director could do now would be do a movie that was completely sincere. The most intelligent movie that could be made now would be one that was utterly without cleverness.

The problem is that 90% of everything is sh-t. The Cohn brothers are great at what they do. The other hundred copy cats are just derivative and lazy.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Usually I complete disagree with whatever you say about TV and movies (which saddens me because I was really looking forward to giving Westworld a try), but you're spot on here. Biting satire and irony used to be used to make a point or social commentary, now we get irony for irony's sake. There's no message being conveyed by it other than "I'm cleverer than you are." We've become a nation of cynical a-holes.

David Foster Wallace had some commentary on how irony was ruining our culture. He may have been on to something.

Cameos were more fun when the atmosphere of the movie (of the whole culture) wasn't winky self-reference. I know I'm not the target demo for anything but Depends at this point, but the mincing irony of the culture has gone on for so long and become so boring and uninspired that anything that reeks of it is suspect now.

The revolutionary thing a director could do now would be do a movie that was completely sincere. The most intelligent movie that could be made now would be one that was utterly without cleverness.

The problem is that 90% of everything is sh-t. The Cohn brothers are great at what they do. The other hundred copy cats are just derivative and lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                        Usually I complete disagree with whatever you say about TV and movies (which saddens me because I was really looking forward to giving Westworld a try), but you're spot on here. Biting satire and irony used to be used to make a point or social commentary, now we get irony for irony's sake. There's no message being conveyed by it other than "I'm cleverer than you are." We've become a nation of cynical a-holes.

David Foster Wallace had some commentary on how irony was ruining our culture. He may have been on to something.
                        Here is an approving commentary on DFW.

There was also at one time maybe twenty years ago an interesting conservative thinker who was roundly panned for suggesting that irony is merely conformist conceit, but I can't recall his name. If you permute conservative thinker against irony in google you get nothing but self-congratulatory right wing sophistry from Hoover or the American Conservative signifying nothing but "yay our team!"

Here
                        is a Wiki piece, a bit long in the tooth and overly reliant on His Highness Wallace.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 07-19-2017, 02:41 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Just make sure that if you are putting a famous non-actor into a scene that they don't look too much like their actual real life self. Don't put a contemporary Justin Bieber/Harry Styles/half the "popular" kids in my son's school/Ed Sheeran hairdo on the one famous pop star in a scene where no one else in the show looks like that because it doesn't fit the era
                          Explain to me how his hair didn't fit. http://www.skynews.com.au/content/da....1200.745.jpeg

It looks the same as Podrick Payne's hair: http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...46-500-281.jpg

Tyrion's hair: http://images.fashionnstyle.com/data...-lannister.jpg

Oberyn's hair: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140501125625

Tommen's hair: http://assets.viewers-guide.hbo.com/...5a58927174.jpg

Please tell me, what makes these hair styles not modern, unlike Ed Sheeren's? I cannot see a difference.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Explain to me how his hair didn't fit. http://www.skynews.com.au/content/da....1200.745.jpeg

It looks the same as Podrick Payne's hair: http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...46-500-281.jpg

Tyrion's hair: http://images.fashionnstyle.com/data...-lannister.jpg

Oberyn's hair: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140501125625

Tommen's hair: http://assets.viewers-guide.hbo.com/...5a58927174.jpg

Please tell me, what makes these hair styles not modern, unlike Ed Sheeren's? I cannot see a difference.

Don't you have a cloud to be yelling at or something?

I'll post examples later.

You're not gonna convince me that he didn't take ME out if the scene.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-19-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Don't you have a cloud to be yelling at or something?

I'll post examples later.

You're not gonna convince me that he didn't take ME out if the scene.
                              Why would someone yell at a cloud?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Why would someone yell at a cloud?
                                If it had a bad altitude. AMIRITE?!
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X