Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/ZTW2Ixh.jpg
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      http://i.imgur.com/ZTW2Ixh.jpg
      The original imgur link was about the Yu Gi Oh card. Scroll down to find it. The opening eyes sword thing seems like a stretch to me.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        It's hardly beneath the show. That kind of scripting has been going on since season one. Be it Sansa and Joffrey, Joffrey and Margery, Margery and Tommen, Jon and Ygritte, hell, even Tormund and Brienne. So either you've ignored it up to this point or now you tolerated it. I don't know what has changed.

I'll be honest, it really comes off as the ugly and boring hipsterish garbage that AV Club puts out. Gotta get out in front of the haters lol.

Regarding the time warping, it's hard to wait two episodes while Gendry runs back to the wall, sends a raven to Dragonstone over the next two, and then spend an extra episode with dany flying up to torch everyone when your season is only seven episodes long. Of course they're going to compress timelines. There just isn't enough time to take an entire season to ride up to the wall anymore. It's the nature of the beast. You should have known this was coming since they announced they were only going to do 13 more episodes.

Were there a few hokey moments? Sure. But i guess I've just decided to ignore them and enjoy the show instead of rolling my eyes and thinking, "Well, I could do better."

Apologist

Comment

What? No "neener neener"?
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm with DX on this. I'd rather just accept that there are things they need to do to fit into the time they have onscreen, and enjoy the show.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              Apologist
              Good argument...
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                It's hardly beneath the show. That kind of scripting has been going on since season one. Be it Sansa and Joffrey, Joffrey and Margery, Margery and Tommen, Jon and Ygritte, hell, even Tormund and Brienne. So either you've ignored it up to this point or now you tolerated it. I don't know what has changed.
                With exception of Tormund and Brienne, which never was a thing other than in Tormund's mind, IMO, the majority of the others were pairings made for political reasons, even if one side didn't know it. Jon and Ygritte was more of an opportunity and time, but it didn't play out in a weak manner, the way this Jon and Dany thing has so far.

It's not as if the entire show is in the dumps. The story at Winterfell has some real teeth, so long as they don't flub it. Everything else has been fine, but not as explosive - thematically - as past seasons. It just feels like they used to do more while simultaneously putting less on screen. Now they're punching up the action almost non-stop, and story development has slipped a little, though it's not entirely gone.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  Good argument...

Good job recognizing a joke.

Do I need to add one of these next time?
                  Last edited by Gurtholfin; 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

This thread is interesting in almost fanboy intolerance of dissenting opinions.

It's a great show - one of my favorites of all time.

I can enjoy something while at the same time recognize flaws.

I even had quibbles with Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      I have no problem with one of the dragons dying coz obviously its story over right then and there as the army of the dead was easy pickins.

Would have been hard to explain why that didn't happen unless one of them died.
                      But more interesting is if they do everything right and it still doesn't work. Like, the King is fireproof or something.

In my favorite movies the protagonist does the obvious or even clever thing and is still screwed. My rule of thumb is the writer should have thought of everything I did. I had a few minutes to absorb the story and react to it. She had weeks or months to WRITE it. I should never be ahead of the protagonist; that's lazy writing.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Good job recognizing a joke.

Do I need to add one of these next time?
                        You act like i didnt...keep up.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Yeah, I don't get it either. We obviously enjoy and respect the show enough to watch it, otherwise we wouldn't be writing about it. I didn't post to the Walking Dead thread.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think it's more that most people just aren't going to care about perceived flaws. They enjoy the entertainment aspect regardless.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              I'm with DX on this. I'd rather just accept that there are things they need to do to fit into the time they have onscreen, and enjoy the show.
                              With unlimited funds, time, attention span, zero writer turnover, etc. yes, I would have chopped this season into tat least two and made it significantly less clunky at times.

I'm sure the writers and producers desperately would want this as well. But reality is a harsh mistress.
                              Code:

Comment

I don't have any gripes with the ravens or really the Dany/Jon thing but there are some legit gripes to be had. Seems like they have too much story to cram into too little time. The fact that only minor characters are dying in these impossible situations is another issue that kinda goes against earlier episodes and makes things a bit more predictable.

Also this stupid plan of Jon's that even the smartest characters are going along with... just seems like they're forced to move the plot in a certain direction but not sure how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X