Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Kings affiliate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Apologist
    Good argument...

wubba lubba dub dub

Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    It's hardly beneath the show. That kind of scripting has been going on since season one. Be it Sansa and Joffrey, Joffrey and Margery, Margery and Tommen, Jon and Ygritte, hell, even Tormund and Brienne. So either you've ignored it up to this point or now you tolerated it. I don't know what has changed.
    With exception of Tormund and Brienne, which never was a thing other than in Tormund's mind, IMO, the majority of the others were pairings made for political reasons, even if one side didn't know it. Jon and Ygritte was more of an opportunity and time, but it didn't play out in a weak manner, the way this Jon and Dany thing has so far.

It's not as if the entire show is in the dumps. The story at Winterfell has some real teeth, so long as they don't flub it. Everything else has been fine, but not as explosive - thematically - as past seasons. It just feels like they used to do more while simultaneously putting less on screen. Now they're punching up the action almost non-stop, and story development has slipped a little, though it's not entirely gone.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Good argument...

Good job recognizing a joke.

Do I need to add one of these next time?
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 08-21-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

This thread is interesting in almost fanboy intolerance of dissenting opinions.

It's a great show - one of my favorites of all time.

I can enjoy something while at the same time recognize flaws.

I even had quibbles with Breaking Bad.

I have no problem with one of the dragons dying coz obviously its story over right then and there as the army of the dead was easy pickins.

Would have been hard to explain why that didn't happen unless one of them died.
    But more interesting is if they do everything right and it still doesn't work. Like, the King is fireproof or something.

In my favorite movies the protagonist does the obvious or even clever thing and is still screwed. My rule of thumb is the writer should have thought of everything I did. I had a few minutes to absorb the story and react to it. She had weeks or months to WRITE it. I should never be ahead of the protagonist; that's lazy writing.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Kings affiliate
    Good job recognizing a joke.

Do I need to add one of these next time?
    You act like i didnt...keep up.

Yeah, I don't get it either. We obviously enjoy and respect the show enough to watch it, otherwise we wouldn't be writing about it. I didn't post to the Walking Dead thread.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Kings affiliate

I think it's more that most people just aren't going to care about perceived flaws. They enjoy the entertainment aspect regardless.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I'm with DX on this. I'd rather just accept that there are things they need to do to fit into the time they have onscreen, and enjoy the show.
    With unlimited funds, time, attention span, zero writer turnover, etc. yes, I would have chopped this season into tat least two and made it significantly less clunky at times.

I'm sure the writers and producers desperately would want this as well. But reality is a harsh mistress.

I don't have any gripes with the ravens or really the Dany/Jon thing but there are some legit gripes to be had. Seems like they have too much story to cram into too little time. The fact that only minor characters are dying in these impossible situations is another issue that kinda goes against earlier episodes and makes things a bit more predictable.

Also this stupid plan of Jon's that even the smartest characters are going along with... just seems like they're forced to move the plot in a certain direction but not sure how to do it.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I don't have any gripes with the ravens or really the Dany/Jon thing but there are some legit gripes to be had. Seems like they have too much story to cram into too little time. The fact that only minor characters are dying in these impossible situations is another issue that kinda goes against earlier episodes and makes things a bit more predictable.

Also this stupid plan of Jon's that even the smartest characters are going along with... just seems like they're forced to move the plot in a certain direction but not sure how to do it.
    I kept thinking that they should've had a small army, all armed with either flaming swords, Valerian steel, or obsidian weapons. But that didn't appear to be the case as some of the redshirts looked to just be carrying standard weapons, unless I missed a line of dialog.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I kept thinking that they should've had a small army, all armed with either flaming swords, Valerian steel, or obsidian weapons. But that didn't appear to be the case as some of the redshirts looked to just be carrying standard weapons, unless I missed a line of dialog.
    Now that they can mine it you'd assume they're all equipped with dragon glass but I didn't really think about it.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post

But here's the thing, you know you need to resolve the entire story line in 13 episodes, how do you do it? You have to cram it in. What other option do you have?

The minor/major characters thing is actually pretty consistent with the rest of the seasons too. They've managed to kill off Olenna in terms of major characters, and Thoros and Benjen. It was pretty rare to see a major character killed off in the early parts of the seasons. The most consequential episodes have been the last or second-to-last episodes. Only seasons 1 & 3 showcased the ruthlessness of GRRM in the second-to-last episodes. Everyone else has been shown the door most frequently in the last episode of the season.

I fully expect to lose at least one, and almost certainly more than one, major character in the season finale.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-21-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Yep, still here

They decided to go with 13 episodes. HBO said they could use 20 if they wanted to. I imagine the sticking point is that they knew how much CGI budget they would need to finish and went from there.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    They decided to go with 13 episodes. HBO said they could use 20 if they wanted to. I imagine the sticking point is that they knew how much CGI budget they would need to finish and went from there.

HBO should have ponied up more money.

This show is getting to be Star Wars level pop culture phenomenon. It's worth the investment.

Of course I haven't seen the numbers and am talking out my arse, but my point stands...

Have seen an awful lot of the "It's a show about dragons etc and people are worried about timelines?"

Um... yes.

Attention to detail matters - even in a fantasy story. ESPECIALLY in a fantasy story that takes itself as seriously as this one does. These people aren't messing around. This is a drama, not an action/adventure.

As Kep said, these people have months... years even to think about this stuff. Production meetings... script writing sessions... feedback...

Get it right. The viewer should not see your flaws on the first viewing.

It's not even nitpicking - it's that obvious.

I get that the masses just want to be entertained. God bless the lowest common denominator. They make our economy go.

You can entertain AND get it right though.

Nobody's holding these people to an impossible standard. They set their own bar with how good this show has been.

It's been a good season, but not on par with some of the previous ones.

Here's hoping that they take the criticisms to heart and kill it for the final season.

With TEN 80 minute episodes.

C'mon HBO... print some money.

Yep, still here

I'd agree since GoT has been getting 3-4 times the next highest cable rated show this season so far.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Lucia Apologist

But ratings don't drive advertising dollars on HBO. Subscriptions do. They still have budgets.

Your point is understood, they should do better. But it's only because they have set an impossible standard for themselves. Last season was one of the greatest in television history. Tough to follow that up.

I think it is more of an issue with Benioff and Weisse than HBO. They've done nothing but GoT for like 8 years now, and they have said that they are ready for it to be over. Sure, they could have extended it another season with the material they have, but they didn't want to do that. And these last 2 seasons are shorter, possibly due to budget (and even for the biggest show ever, there is a budget), possibly due to time constraints (they pushed back filming by about 6 months, and only pushed back the premier about 3 months), with massive amounts of dragon related CGI work that needed to be done as well.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Also, I read somewhere that the timing for the Gendry/Raven/Drogon sequence is realistically 4 days. I am not sure how someone calculated that, but they did. And apparently, at the presumed temperature, thats also approximately how long that lake should take to freeze to a point where an army could walk across it. Seems like that part might actually work out from a timeline standpoint.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The minor/major characters thing is actually pretty consistent with the rest of the seasons too. They've managed to kill off Olenna in terms of major characters, and Thoros and Benjen. It was pretty rare to see a major character killed off in the early parts of the seasons. The most consequential episodes have been the last or second-to-last episodes. Only seasons 1 & 3 showcased the ruthlessness of GRRM in the second-to-last episodes. Everyone else has been shown the door most frequently in the last episode of the season.
    Olenna and her daughter are kinda secondary characters. I think when Dany attacked the Lannisters and Jamie/Bronn got away that was pretty ridiculous, those are two beloved characters that are pretty major and while it would suck if either of them went it'd at least keep you guessing. Right now it just seems like there's rarely ever consequences for ill thought out planning or actions. Dany did lose one dragon but this was two episodes after one got hit by the big crossbow/scorpion and survived even after her foolish risk taking. This isn't even getting into how dumb Jon Snow is and the fact that there's never any consequences for his actions (from what I understand the book is a bit different in this regard and stays consistent with there being consequences).

Thread Information