University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      Did you forget Finlandia?

Trine is in Indiana.
      Close enough.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: NAIA Hockey Possible Comeback

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        Did you forget Adrian?
        Phrased that wrong- other than Adrian, Finlandia (0-21 record), and Trine (future) the NCAA Hockey lacks a strong presence at D3 in Michigan and lower Great Lakes region. It's surprising since the state has a rich hockey history, strong recruiting pool, close to Canada, and a fair amount of D3 schools in MI. Since there's also a good number of current NAIA schools with hockey and also other NAIA schools in MI and the region, the NAIA has the potential to really grow the varsity collegiate hockey options in MI and out-pace NCAA growth in the state. It will be interesting to see which org grows faster in the Great Lakes region. NCAA D3 Hockey also has a big hole in the State of Ohio and is similar with a strong NCAA D1 Hockey presence but also many D3 non-hockey schools.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
          Phrased that wrong- other than Adrian, Finlandia (0-21 record), and Trine (future) the NCAA Hockey lacks a strong presence at D3 in Michigan and lower Great Lakes region. It's surprising since the state has a rich hockey history, strong recruiting pool, close to Canada, and a fair amount of D3 schools in MI. Since there's also a good number of current NAIA schools with hockey and also other NAIA schools in MI and the region, the NAIA has the potential to really grow the varsity collegiate hockey options in MI and out-pace NCAA growth in the state. It will be interesting to see which org grows faster in the Great Lakes region. NCAA D3 Hockey also has a big hole in the State of Ohio and is similar with a strong NCAA D1 Hockey presence but also many D3 non-hockey schools.
          After a quick browsing of the ACHA website, if you subtract Davenport, by my count there are currently 13 NAIA schools with ACHA hockey teams. The University of Victoria's club team plays in the BCIHL and University of British Columbia's varsity team plays in U SPORTS (I find it extremely unlikely that either one would jump ship to play in the NAIA. If UVic ever went varsity they would just play in U SPORTS). St. Ambrose University has a club team playing in the Quad City Adult Hockey League. I know Carroll College in Montana was talking about starting an ACHA club a few years back but I don't think they did. Any word on any other NAIA schools looking to start a program?
          Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18

Comment

Some Off-season updates/News

1) Concordia University Ann Arbor announced they will add men's and women's ice hockey starting in 2018-19, with the men's team participating in the new NAIA division.
            Link here: https://www.cuaa.edu/news/2017-06-23.html

Note: CUAA is the sister school of Concordia University Wisconsin (CUW), which has sponsored men's and women's hockey at D3 since 2007, so nice that the university system has experience with hockey and has been a solid stable member of D3. That's an indication that CUAA is looking to go full steam ahead into hockey and has a nice template from CUW. NAIA is different than NCAA and has different challenges and opportunities but both have many similarities of small college athletics.

2) Indiana Tech announced that the school will host the inaugural Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) men's hockey conference championship.
            Link here: http://indianatechwarriors.com/news/...ournament.aspx

Good news that the new NAIA level is growing in terms of both schools and NAIA conference support. The WHAC was notable a few years ago as the first NAIA conference to sponsor lacrosse, now lacrosse is through the emerging sport process and pushing for full championship status in the NAIA. Having a full athletic conference involved at an early stage of sport sponsorship helps gives credibility to the emerging sport process and also encourages growth from the athletic department level. In the years following the WHAC's lax championship, other schools added the sport and other NAIA conferences added championships.

Comment

Interesting. That link to the Indiana Tech story says that both UM-Dearborn and Rochester College will be joining the NAIA division next year. As far as I know that hasn't been announced anywhere else. UM-Dearborn's athletic site still has hockey listed as a non-NAIA sport and the WHAC website only lists Aquinas, Indiana Tech and Lawrence Tech in their standings for next season. The ACHA still hasn't updated their website with the new division. I'm sure what's what will get sorted out closer to the season.

Edit: The WHAC website has now updated to include UM-Dearborn and Rochester. They also list Concordia in next year's standings, but they're not supposed to be starting until 2018-19.
              Last edited by Buckeye22; 07-09-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Updated WHAC Hockey Standings: Five teams for the 2017-18 with CUAA making a 6th in 2018-19.

http://www.whac.net/sport/0/33.php

2017-18 MEN'S ICE HOCKEY STANDINGS
                School WHAC Overall GB Home Away Neutral Streak
                Aquinas 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 -- 0-0 0-0 0-0
                Indiana Tech 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 -- 0-0 0-0 0-0
                Lawrence Tech 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 -- 0-0 0-0 0-0
                Rochester 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 -- 0-0 0-0 0-0
                UM-Dearborn 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 -- 0-0 0-0 0-0

Comment

I've noticed on the schedules that have been released so far, none of the NAIA schools appear to have Life on their schedule. How will Life qualify for the NAIA tournament if they don't play any NAIA teams during the regular season? Obviously being in Georgia probably makes travel a concern since the others are all in the Midwest.
                  Last edited by Buckeye22; 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

With the return of NAIA hockey this year, is there any chance that we will see some degree of official coverage from USCHO.com in the near future? I know club hockey generally gets ignored here, but with the return to varsity status for the NAIA schools I'm hoping we'll see a new section added.

Comment

Small update on the NAIA. They still aren't considered an emerging sport by the NAIA, but NAIA hockey will be leaving the ACHA and moving under its own governance starting next year.

[ Story ]

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
                        Going back to the 60's, I think Salem State and Boston State also were members of the NAIA.
                        You offer a great deal of interesting and factual information in this post. One error, however... Salem State was playing in the NCAA, before they had divisions, as early as 1961, when I saw them play at Colby.
                        Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
                          You offer a great deal of interesting and factual information in this post. One error, however... Salem State was playing in the NCAA, before they had divisions, as early as 1961, when I saw them play at Colby.
                          Ya this period can be a little confusing. It seems that some of the schools that played in the NAIA tournament in the early years were also members of the NCAA. I don't know if Boston State, Salem State, etc. were ever formally members of the NAIA or if they were just invited as some sort of at-large bid, but they both did play in the NAIA tournament. Keep in mind there was no small-colleges/DIII tournament at the time, so I don't know what the relationship between the various schools, the NCAA and the NAIA was at the time. Anybody who can offer some clarification would be great.

Comment

Ya this period can be a little confusing. It seems that some of the schools that played in the NAIA tournament in the early years were also members of the NCAA. I don't know if Boston State, Salem State, etc. were ever formally members of the NAIA or if they were just invited as some sort of at-large bid, but they both did play in the NAIA tournament. Keep in mind there was no small-colleges/DIII tournament at the time, so I don't know what the relationship between the various schools, the NCAA and the NAIA was at the time. Anybody who can offer some clarification would be great.
                            Boston State was actually an NAIA school back in the 60's. They sent a pretty good team coached by legend Eddie Barry, out to the NAIA National Championships and got toasted. My memory is failing me, but the goalie had a collegiate record number of saves in the game. I think Bo State gave up 20 goals and the guy had 70 saves, or something.

In the 70's, New England had an NAIA Conference (District 5) and representatives were sent out each year from 76 to 80. UMPG (now USM) went in 76, St Francis College (Now UNE) went 77, 78 & 79, and Roger Williams went in 80.

The conference had Nasson College in Springvale, Maine, University of Maine at Portland Gorham, St. Francis College in Biddeford, New Hampshire College (now Southern New Hampshire University), Nathaniel Hawthorn College in Antrim, NH, Gordon College in Beverly, Mass, Roger Williams College and for a couple of years, Plymouth State College. It was pretty good conference for the time.

I believe the best any team from the east did in the NAIA National Tourney was St. Francis College losing 11-0 to Bemidji State. Everyone else was even uglier!

Comment

Thanks for the info! Do you have any insight into how Salem State participated in '69? They were definitely playing in the ECAC at the time which I always assumed was an NCAA-only conference. I could've sworn I read somewhere that Boston State was also in the ECAC at the time (both of them were in the ECAC DII at the time, more-or-less the predecessor to the NEHC, NESCAC and SUNYAC).
                              Last edited by Buckeye22; 02-03-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Do you have any insight into how Salem State participated in '69? They were definitely playing in the ECAC at the time which I always assumed was an NCAA-only conference. I could've sworn I read somewhere that Boston State was also in the ECAC at the time (both of them were in the ECAC DII at the time, more-or-less the predecessor to the NEHC, NESCAC and SUNYAC).
                                My recollection of the NAIA back in the 60's was that is was a pretty loose organization. Their basketball tourney, held each year in Kansas City, was bigger than the NCAA at the time. They would invite teams from each district championship to there tourney (32 teams) and pay a week of basketball getting to the champion.

If I remember correctly, there was DI and DII hockey, DIII had not evolved yet. The DI National Championship was really restricted. I remember the National Championship were usually held on campus, except when it was played at The Broadmoor, and usually in the West. I know that the championships grew in the 70's and moved around the country, but the 60's where really provincial. I think BC hosted the NCAAs in 1963, or so, only because they're celebrating 100 years as a college. I think it was BC (Snooks Kelly coach), Clarkson (Len Ceglarski), Michigan Tech (Not sure) and North Dakota (R.H. "Bob" Peters), and the finals were an all west finals. I don't remember who won! (getting too old!)

DII did not have a national championship, yet. I think this is what led some of the DII teams to have dual memberships in the NAIA. I know that Boston State played in the ECAC,yet competed in the NAIA National Tournament. I just don't have any recollection of Salem State going to the NAIA National Championship. It wouldn't surprise me though, Salem State had some good teams back in the day and, they were committed to hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X