Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015-16 Alaska Legislature Official Season Thread…scratching the KRACH.

UAA told KTUU they have some savings to make up for the budget cut, but the way it was worded sounded like they wouldn't cover the whole budget cut. Seems like a wise decision.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

UAA AD Keith Hackett is considering horizontal cuts to all our sports, to avoid vertical cuts (or getting rid of any teams). The article also explains the team sports (# of women's sports vs. men's sports), learned a few new things.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160507/...dget-cuts-loom
      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
        UAA AD Keith Hackett is considering horizontal cuts to all our sports, to avoid vertical cuts (or getting rid of any teams). The article also explains the team sports (# of women's sports vs. men's sports), learned a few new things.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160507/...dget-cuts-loom
        Going to be hard to get $1.7m horizontally. That sounds to me more like a "we're getting rid of some non-revenue sports" cut.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

$1.7m or 16% is a lot and realistically will probably require the elimination of a couple of sports and across the board cuts. Understandably Hackett does not want to show his cards just yet. I’m sure they are still looking at private donations and creative accounting.

It sounds like UAA’s initial position is that BBall, Volleyball, and Hockey are somewhat safe from elimination for now, which makes since even if subject to interpretation. UAA losing hockey would also be terrible for UAF. Aside from beneficial cost sharing arrangements, college hockey in Alaska just wouldn’t be the same. Hang in there Seawolf fans.

Look on the bright side, at least the remaining athletes at both UAA and UAF will be much safer now since everybody will be packing.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
            $1.7m or 16% is a lot and realistically will probably require the elimination of a couple of sports and across the board cuts. Understandably Hackett does not want to show his cards just yet. I’m sure they are still looking at private donations and creative accounting.

It sounds like UAA’s initial position is that BBall, Volleyball, and Hockey are somewhat safe from elimination for now, which makes since even if subject to interpretation. UAA losing hockey would also be terrible for UAF. Aside from beneficial cost sharing arrangements, college hockey in Alaska just wouldn’t be the same. Hang in there Seawolf fans.

Look on the bright side, at least the remaining athletes at both UAA and UAF will be much safer now since everybody will be packing.
            UAF and UAA need each other probably more than either would publicly admit, especially with hockey.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

As noted in another thread, UA President Jim Johnsen has stepped up his re-structure time line because our do-nothing legislature has done nothing, and the potential cut to the UA system is still $50m.
              His main concept is combining the three separate campuses into one system with one administrative structure, and more importantly, one accreditation process. I would think that a University system with only one accreditation process and one administrative structure would be limited to one NCAA team per sport.

A comment in the other thread envisioned UAF dropping all athletic teams, but I believe that both UAA and UAF would retain certain programs. I think there was an earlier Newsminer article discussing it. Depending on what they keep, something like:

UAA:
              Basketball
              Volleyball
              Track & Field
              Gymnastics
              Alpine skiing

UAF:
              Hockey
              Rifle
              Cross-country running
              Nordic skiing
              Swimming

But how this all pans out, and when, is anyone’s guess.

Comment

As noted in another thread, UA President Jim Johnsen has stepped up his re-structure time line because our do-nothing legislature has done nothing, and the potential cut to the UA system is still $50m.
                His main concept is combining the three separate campuses into one system with one administrative structure, and more importantly, one accreditation process. I would think that a University system with only one accreditation process and one administrative structure would be limited to one NCAA team per sport.

A comment in the other thread envisioned UAF dropping all athletic teams, but I believe that both UAA and UAF would retain certain programs. I think there was an earlier Newsminer article discussing it. Depending on what they keep, something like:

UAA:
                Basketball
                Volleyball
                Track & Field
                Gymnastics
                Alpine skiing

UAF:
                Hockey
                Rifle
                Cross-country running
                Nordic skiing
                Swimming

I would maintain that it makes more sense to roll UAS into UAF and keep UAF/S and UAA separate within the UA system. UAS is such a small overall contributor that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to incur the additional admin to operate it as its own institution, and they already work closely with UAF on the fisheries program.

The idea of not permanently filling the UAF chancellor spot until this mess gets sorted out has been circulating for weeks...I wasn't surprised with the news.

It'll be a while before Athletics gets sorted out. Single accreditation, if it happens, is at least a couple years away. I would bet that implementation of this single accreditation idea, if it comes to fruition, would be a total nightmare. You think Nanooks and Seawolves don't get along now...

Comment

I will say this: If UAA loses its hockey team because of this "single accreditation" thing I will not give a single dime to the UA.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Until it's all sorted out...recruiting decent players is going to be a nightmare. Top in-State recruit Nolan Walker just "decomited" to UAA...now committed to SCSU. This could get ugly!

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      ...It'll be a while before Athletics gets sorted out. Single accreditation, if it happens, is at least a couple years away. I would bet that implementation of this single accreditation idea, if it comes to fruition, would be a total nightmare. You think Nanooks and Seawolves don't get along now...
                      This. We're all hockey fans so it's a big deal to us, but most couldn't care less. As Johnsen's news release indicates, the real battle and power struggle will be over where the degree programs, and to some extent administrative functions, end up or have emphasis. There are lot of business partnerships and community support opportunities on the line. The location of School of Education, Management/Business, and Engineering will see a lot of back room politics. Although they have no legal authority over how the U allocates or spends the state funding allocation, certain legislators will have a hard time not trying to twist arms.

Comment

Until it's all sorted out...recruiting decent players is going to be a nightmare. Top in-State recruit Nolan Walker just "decomited" to UAA...now committed to SCSU. This could get ugly!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
                          Man we can't catch a break.

Comment

UAA:
                            Basketball
                            Volleyball
                            Track & Field
                            Gymnastics
                            Alpine skiing

UAF:
                            Hockey
                            Rifle
                            Cross-country running
                            Nordic skiing
                            Swimming

What about the "teams" and "gender specific" teams though?

Comment

UAA:
                              Basketball
                              Volleyball
                              Track & Field
                              Gymnastics
                              Alpine skiing

UAF:
                              Hockey
                              Rifle
                              Cross-country running
                              Nordic skiing
                              Swimming

I would hazard a guess the if they had to choose one over the other, most opponents would opt for Anchorage for hockey.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

UAA:
                                Basketball
                                Volleyball
                                Track & Field
                                Gymnastics
                                Alpine skiing

UAF:
                                Hockey
                                Rifle
                                Cross-country running
                                Nordic skiing
                                Swimming

Hockey will be in anchorage due to the extra cost to fly all teams to _airbanks and extra night hotel cost.
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X