X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Patty Kaz Award

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I mean, I'm right. Lol
    So several posters here are silly 'for arguing about being right'. But you're 20 or so daily posts on the site actually make important points. I see.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Listen guys, I'm not going to sit here and argue semantics. Their stats improved when they went to the WCHA. The end.

I do not seriously think that the WCHA is a worse league than Hockey East. But EastFan's posts were funny and good and were quality jabs. Anytime someone gets in a little well-placed WCHA ribbing I'm happy to play along.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      So several posters here are silly 'for arguing about being right'.
      I said what now?

But your 20 or so daily posts on the site
      Ah yes, "you're a loser for posting on an internet message board which I am also posting on." That old chestnut.
      Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 03-09-2016, 09:02 PM.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

your 20 or so daily posts on the site
        PS you're bad at math

Comment

PS you're bad at math
          Taking a rough estimate of the number of days based on join date divided into the total number of posts it's more like 2.6 per day.

I had the preschoolers input to go on but ultimately I just went with a coin flip to determine who I thought is going to win.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Sorry, but I hope not.

Every year there is a top scorer. And every year, they get the Kaz. You don't have to go back far to find players (Kessel, the Lams) that match her scoring. ARD on the other hand has turned in a potentially unique year. The entire UW team is centered around her. Which has racked up an incredible and unmatched 20 shut outs. In fact, UW knocked off national champions MN with one of the deepest pool of offensive talent in the history of womens hockey...three times...and even shut them out. Her stunning GA average is also tops I've seen going back years...at 0.68...half of most other annual bests. That GA average is even better than the 62 game undefeated streak team. If ARD doesn't win the Kaz, might as well assume a goalie will never win it.
            You are kinda growing on me.....it only took 12 years or so.

So who comprises the PK committee?
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              So who comprises the PK committee?
              I snagged the info below right from the Patty Kaz website. The selection process is described in detail. I remember asking the same question back in 2010 when UNH's Kelly Paton was one of the 3 finalists. They don't usually publicly state who is on the 13 member committee that selects the 3 finalists and the award winner.

ABOUT THE PATTY KAZMAIER MEMORIAL AWARD
              An award of The USA Hockey Foundation, the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award is presented annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey. Other selection criteria include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character, competitiveness and a love of hockey. Consideration is also given to academic achievement and civic involvement.

The award selection process begins in February, when NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey head coaches are asked to nominate players for the award. Players who are nominated by two or more coaches are then placed on an official ballot, which is sent back to the coaches to vote for the top 10 finalists. An independent accounting firm tabulates the ballots.

The three finalists, as well as the recipient of the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, are chosen by a 13-member selection committee comprised of NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey head coaches, representatives of the print and broadcast media, at-large members and representatives of USA Hockey, the National Governing Body for the sport of ice hockey in the United States.
              THINK PINK
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                I snagged the info below right from the Patty Kaz website. The selection process is described in detail. I remember asking the same question back in 2010 when UNH's Kelly Paton was one of the 3 finalists. They don't usually publicly state who is on the 13 member committee that selects the 3 finalists and the award winner.

ABOUT THE PATTY KAZMAIER MEMORIAL AWARD
                An award of The USA Hockey Foundation, the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award is presented annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey. Other selection criteria include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character, competitiveness and a love of hockey. Consideration is also given to academic achievement and civic involvement.

The award selection process begins in February, when NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey head coaches are asked to nominate players for the award. Players who are nominated by two or more coaches are then placed on an official ballot, which is sent back to the coaches to vote for the top 10 finalists. An independent accounting firm tabulates the ballots.

The three finalists, as well as the recipient of the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, are chosen by a 13-member selection committee comprised of NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey head coaches, representatives of the print and broadcast media, at-large members and representatives of USA Hockey, the National Governing Body for the sport of ice hockey in the United States.
                "at large members and representatives of USA hockey".......would these people be less likely to vote for a Canadian player?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  "at large members and representatives of USA hockey".......would these people be less likely to vote for a Canadian player?
                  Four of the last ten PK Winners have been Canadian...

Comment

It's such a shame when the voting takes place. After the WCHA tournament I've totally flipflopped on this and think Desbiens have won, but think Coyne is going to win based on when they voted.

Not that Coyne isn't deserving, all three are legitimately deserving, but if I had a vote, my vote would have changed after the conference tournament.

Comment

Agreed, not sure why they can't wait until after the conference tournaments. Every other sport does it. Is it so hard to count 13 ballots?

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                        Agreed, not sure why they can't wait until after the conference tournaments. Every other sport does it. Is it so hard to count 13 ballots?
                        I'm guessing the reasoning has something to do with not penalizing players who didn't make the postseason... but when is a player in the final three ever not in the postseason?

Comment

Originally posted by mnpokecheck View Post
                          Four of the last ten PK Winners have been Canadian...
                          Thanks for the answer I was kinda too lazy to dig into.

Comment

After the WCHA tournament I've totally flipflopped ... my vote would have changed after the conference tournament.
                            I'm taking away your fictional vote. Coyne's at 49 goals and might get to 50 Saturday. In goal scoring, she is crushing most prior Kaz winners. Decker (best season 37). Carpenter (37 last year). Rattray (29). Duggan (best 39). Bendus (best 28). Vaillancourt (best 30). Chu (best 42). Bauer (best 26). Wendell (best 43). Kessel (best 46). Throw in the best non-winners too. Knight. Darwitz. Twins. Poulin. Agosta. Brandt. Coyne's scoring this season beat their best. And for many of the players listed, Coyne has not had the same level of line support.

Comment

Desbiens - five postseason games, zero goals against.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                                I'm taking away your fictional vote. Coyne's at 49 goals and might get to 50 Saturday. In goal scoring, she is crushing most prior Kaz winners. Decker (best season 37). Carpenter (37 last year). Rattray (29). Duggan (best 39). Bendus (best 28). Vaillancourt (best 30). Chu (best 42). Bauer (best 26). Wendell (best 43). Kessel (best 46). Throw in the best non-winners too. Knight. Darwitz. Twins. Poulin. Agosta. Brandt. Coyne's scoring this season beat their best. And for many of the players listed, Coyne has not had the same level of line support.
                                Both Coyne and Desbiens are having record-breaking seasons, and Carpenter is the motor of a team that's having a record-breaking season. Really tough call.

Comment

Working...
                                X