Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 Regional Rankings and Bracketology

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Considering there are five NESCAC schools in the top 24 of these rankings of America's Top Colleges I think your statement is ridiculous.

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/#tab:rank
    You apparently didn't read the rest of my post. Yes...I realize that they are ranked highly and for good reason...but my point is that they aren't commonly known....outside the east coast in common knowledge. If you say "ivy league" people know what that is. If you say Big Ten people know what that is...or at least have a general idea. If I say to someone in New Mexico..."name a NESCAC school"...they wouldn't be able to.

I asked the college lady that works at my school why we don't push more kids to the NESCACs like Williams which have the "no-debt" promise...and she'd never even heard of them. And her job is to know colleges. Granted...with the woeful education system we have in Arizona...the NESCACs probably don't want most of our kids anyway...lol

And the whole point is once you get out of college and start your career...where you went to school matters less and less.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
      You apparently didn't read the rest of my post. Yes...I realize that they are ranked highly and for good reason...but my point is that they aren't commonly known....outside the east coast in common knowledge. If you say "ivy league" people know what that is. If you say Big Ten people know what that is...or at least have a general idea. If I say to someone in New Mexico..."name a NESCAC school"...they wouldn't be able to.

I asked the college lady that works at my school why we don't push more kids to the NESCACs like Williams which have the "no-debt" promise...and she'd never even heard of them. And her job is to know colleges. Granted...with the woeful education system we have in Arizona...the NESCACs probably don't want most of our kids anyway...lol

And the whole point is once you get out of college and start your career...where you went to school matters less and less.
      The IVY League and the Big 10 are also Division I institutions. The Big 10 universities are HUGE enrollments with many being the flagship public university of their state. Football and basketball, of course people know those colleges.

The NESCACs are small Division III liberal arts private colleges, of course they aren't as recognizable as D1 schools that are on tv every week with football and basketball.

I wouldn't have a clue what the Wisconsin state schools or the Minnesota private colleges of the MIAC were if not for hockey.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        The IVY League and the Big 10 are also Division I institutions. The Big 10 universities are HUGE enrollments with many being the flagship public university of their state. Football and basketball, of course people know those colleges.

The NESCACs are small Division III liberal arts private colleges, of course they aren't as recognizable as D1 schools that are on tv every week with football and basketball.

I wouldn't have a clue what the Wisconsin state schools or the Minnesota private colleges of the MIAC were if not for hockey.
        That's pretty much my point. But if Williams is truly the 2nd best college in the country than shouldn't it be more well known nationally? MIT was like #9 on that list and is a small school...we've had students go there and it is well known. Why is that one more well known than others?

I think the argument Seymore or someone was making is that "just because I didn't go to a Nescac school or Union doesn't mean I'm stupid. And at what point does the cost outweigh the academic benefit?? Is paying 65,000 a year worth it? Maybe if I'm going to be a doctor or lawyer...but I can't imagine too many careers where coming out with that much debt is worth it.

At least we didn't go to Arizona State
        Last edited by gojackets; 03-24-2016, 05:44 PM.
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
          I think the argument Seymore or someone was making is that "just because I didn't go to a Nescac school or Union doesn't mean I'm stupid. And at what point does the cost outweigh the academic benefit?? Is paying 65,000 a year worth it? Maybe if I'm going to be a doctor or lawyer...but I can't imagine too many careers where coming out with that much debt is worth it.
          It wasn't me saying this. My point is from our personal experience, she got the most "bang for the buck" at Platty. It's really a personal or family choice. For us, we could not be happier with the education and hockey experience we got at Plattsburgh State. I'm not going to slag any other school, because quite frankly, I couldn't care less. PSU was the perfect choice for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Call It View Post
            Perhaps, why isn't this happening more? The D3 to D1 move.
            Hmmmm... Maybe the kids don't like the school that has the spot available???

Comment

Perhaps my post left the unemployment question remaining, my point was that in theory a Union Grad will have a better opportunity in the market ($ too) vs a PSC Grad. Certainly you wouldn't debate that Union is a much better school than PSC would you?
              Academically I would. I guess you've never been inside a UC classroom? Go give it a try. Get a good look at that computer science department. Just the state of some of the classrooms. And oh let's talk about that 28% loan default rate.. Not to mention the 33% of the graduated class from 2014 that are not working in their degree field.. And that's just UC. If I go back through my records I bet I could give you the real dark side of the D1 college ride.

Comment

Perhaps you need a xanax?! Most state colleges are fine schools and serve a purpose. Pretty soon when Bernie is Prez they shall be free! LOL

Plattsburgh doesn't compare to many schools in D3, academically. Based upon the rankings (I know the PSC fans know about rankings and there not just for hockey). Yes your daughter might be able to be PSC Grad and make 6 figures and in theory if is she was a NESCAC Grad than she would make more with greater opportunities. In theory sensitive people, theory.
                So where exactly does it say that going to any particular school is better for any particular job field?? I'm a great stats guy and have a boat load of stats for the college field. Just the educational side of the house... And for the record, Standford grad here, class of 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEnd65 View Post
                  If I go back through my records I bet I could give you the real dark side of the D1 college ride.
                  I'm listening.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                    That's pretty much my point. But if Williams is truly the 2nd best college in the country than shouldn't it be more well known nationally? MIT was like #9 on that list and is a small school...we've had students go there and it is well known. Why is that one more well known than others?

At least we didn't go to Arizona State
                    For the record my Daughter is not at a NESCAC school, her grades aren't THAT good. I too wouldn't go into debt that much, even though most NESCAC schools give a ton of aid. Doesn't Amherst try to have the students graduate with no debt?

Every family makes their college selection differently. Some put school first, others hockey or cost. For us it was where could she get into that fit our budget, then the school had to be a good fit and then the hockey. We were lucky in that she had several schools recruiting her so she wasn't forced into an option or didn't have to give up hockey for the right school.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      I'm listening.
                      Give me some criteria as to what you'd like to hear/see? Unlike yourself I have a job and life and family and friends to be with rather than hanging in here.. I'll wait. For a little bit anyways...

Comment

In keeping with the last two years, Plattsburgh is hosting a championship celebration program next Tuesday to raise money for the championship rings.
                        Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM. Reason: rephrasing

Comment

Guess the University brass is getting tired of shelling out for Championship rings every year!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                            Guess the University brass is getting tired of shelling out for Championship rings every year!!
                            Do they not get some financial gains from hosting the NCAA championships for the past three years? I would think they probably raise enough money that way but maybe not. Anyone know more about that?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Do they not get some financial gains from hosting the NCAA championships for the past three years? I would think they probably raise enough money that way but maybe not. Anyone know more about that?
                              Yes, I believe the NCAA compensates them a bit.
                              My D never paid a penny for her two rings so, I don't know why they have to "fund raise" this year!?

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                                Yes, I believe the NCAA compensates them a bit.
                                My D never paid a penny for her two rings so, I don't know why they have to "fund raise" this year!?
                                After your D graduated, I spent over a year reporting on/writing about the budget crisis at the school. Maybe this is a way to not only pay for the rings, but help keep funding the program if athletics are a place where cuts are possible?

(When I was reporting on it, athletics, as it was told to me, were on a separate budget that was unaffected by the deficit the school faced. Don't know specifics on current situation.)

Comment

Working...
                                X