Season 95, Vol 2: Michigan Tech '15-'16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Season 95, Vol 2: Michigan Tech '15-'16

The feeds have been great streamed from my iPhone to my AppleTV. If you're streaming on a computer is it pulling up a Flash based player?
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Josh Fenton is a total ***k, btw.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Is he the ****** that was interviewed during the UMD-SCSU broadcast? The guy is clueless and really a ****ing idiot.
      What happen?
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I'm pretty sure that's wrong, I'm pretty sure they hosted in 81-82, 82-83 so unless they qualified it as last time in WCHA, the answer would be 83.
        Tech was the #3 seed in the 1981-82 CCHA playoffs and hosted #6 Ferris, winning the two game total goal series 10 after a 7-4 win and a 3-3 tie.
        Tech was the #4 seed in the 1982-83 CCHA playoffs and hosted #5 NMU, losing the two game total goal series 5-4 after a 3-2 loss and a 3-3 tie.

But if you're looking for the last time they hosted WCHA playoff series back-to-back...that's a trick question. The answer is actually 1981.

In 1980-81, the WCHA ran their playoffs without a central site. The 8 teams that made the playoffs were considered to be in two separate "regions", East and West. The 1st round series were:
        #8 UMD at #1 Minnesota
        #7 CC at #2 Wisconsin (who was seeded #2 because they outscored Tech 9-7 in their two regular season meetings)
        #6 North Dakota at #3 Michigan Tech (finished tied for 2nd but lost on 3rd tiebreak to Wisconsin)
        #5 Michigan at #4 Denver

When Colorado College upset Wisconsin in their 2 game total goal series (creating the nickname "back door Badgers" when they made the NCAA tournament anyway), Tech was the second highest seed left and hosted again in the second round.

#7 CC at #1 Minnesota
        #5 Michigan at #3 Michigan Tech

Minnesota was unofficially crowned the "West" region champion, Michigan Tech the "East" region champion. Each received an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, and each is listed by the league as a co-playoff champion. They would meet in the NCAA semifinal in Duluth, with the Gophers winning that game 7-2.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          Tech was the #3 seed in the 1981-82 CCHA playoffs and hosted #6 Ferris, winning the two game total goal series 10 after a 7-4 win and a 3-3 tie.
          Tech was the #4 seed in the 1982-83 CCHA playoffs and hosted #5 NMU, losing the two game total goal series 5-4 after a 3-2 loss and a 3-3 tie.

But if you're looking for the last time they hosted WCHA playoff series back-to-back...that's a trick question. The answer is actually 1981.

In 1980-81, the WCHA ran their playoffs without a central site. The 8 teams that made the playoffs were considered to be in two separate "regions", East and West. The 1st round series were:
          #8 UMD at #1 Minnesota
          #7 CC at #2 Wisconsin (who was seeded #2 because they outscored Tech 9-7 in their two regular season meetings)
          #6 North Dakota at #3 Michigan Tech (finished tied for 2nd but lost on 3rd tiebreak to Wisconsin)
          #5 Michigan at #4 Denver

When Colorado College upset Wisconsin in their 2 game total goal series (creating the nickname "back door Badgers" when they made the NCAA tournament anyway), Tech was the second highest seed left and hosted again in the second round.

#7 CC at #1 Minnesota
          #5 Michigan at #3 Michigan Tech

Minnesota was unofficially crowned the "West" region champion, Michigan Tech the "East" region champion. Each received an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, and each is listed by the league as a co-playoff champion. They would meet in the NCAA semifinal in Duluth, with the Gophers winning that game 7-2.
          Yeah, I thought the question was last time Michigan Tech hosted playoffs back to back years...
          The answer is not 1981, the quesiton was hosted playoffs in back to back years so 1981 would not be the answer if it was qualified as WCHA vs any conference (1983). If would be 1976 if it was WCHA.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Has a regular season conference champ ever not received an NCAA bid under the current Pairwise system?
            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
              Has a regular season conference champ ever not received an NCAA bid under the current Pairwise system?
              The "current" pairwise system only goes back 3 years, it was overhauled to get rid of the TUC cliff.
              You'll have to be more specific on which conference champs you care about because obviously AHA/CHA conference champs have missed out from time to time since a PWR system was used...

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                The last "major" conference champion that did not make the NCAA tournament field was WCHA winner Colorado College in 1994. Because the Tigers lost their first round matchup to #10 Michigan Tech, that opened the door for the committee (headed that year by Rick Comley) to put Michigan State into the field - largely because MSU was hosting the West Regional that season and the committee was concerned about attendance. The conference winner autobid was installed the next season, but we were well and truly on the way to the PairWise system thanks to that selection.

So indirectly - Michigan Tech is responsible for the existence of the PairWise system in college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  The feeds have been great streamed from my iPhone to my AppleTV. If you're streaming on a computer is it pulling up a Flash based player?
                  I use my iPad at my PC (so I can talk in the live chat) for this reason. The quality on the iPad is noticeably better compared to the feed on a PC.
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I have had much better luck with ipad/iphone or ipad/iphone to apple tv compared to computer...I've used the computer occasionally (like watching UAA vs MSU this weekend while working thru PWR stuff) and it just doesn't stay high quality...

Comment

What happen?
                      The one thing he said that I remember is something about the Nachos have the best trophies in college hockey.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What happen?
                        As you know he's the commissioner of the NCHC.
                        He was interviewed for quite an extended period during the Duluth vs St Cloud game. He came off as someone who really didn't have a clue as to what was going on in reality, and kept going on about defending the brand and building the brand and how important it was to do so. Blah, Blah, Blah.

And while i'm on my high horse here... UND and Denver and those people, were all upset about giving money to the teams at the bottom, but since the split they don't have more money in their pockets, they have less. A lot less. And so does everyone else, which I find totally nuts.... and bedsides that, some teams are in financial trouble which they wouldn't have been, had mr Fenton and his friends not Defended the dang brand.

Thirdly, they were saying how they shouldn't have to host Tech in Denver because of the poor crowds, and how awful the travel to Houghton was, but they have fewer people in the stands now than they did before, and the travel is just as tough or tougher.

So Mr Fenton is whistling in the dark and making a jerk of himself and his buddies.I find the whole deal based on extremely questionable assumptions and I'm disgusted by their continued arrogant behavior.

Oh and where is their vaunted TV deal?. In the toilet is where. The networks had such bad ratings they pulled most of the games, and put on women lacrosse instead. Seriously. I believe there is less than half as many games as the first year. Even the Notre Dame games are far fewer than last year. I'll bet that next year there will be even fewer because ratings are ratings after all.

lastly, ASU. If ASU had the financing for a descent rink, they would be in the WCHA right now, and starting a schedule in 17-18. But they don't and the reason is, if you ask me, money. This partnering with the NHL is not going to work well at all. So once again, I'm wondering if in reality they are talking bigger than they should have.If you watched some of the interviews and speeches by the ASU AD, he came across as talking down to the audience. Personally, since they were scarfing up some of the best recruits in the BCHL, it's ok if they struggle some.
                        Anyway, I would not count on them coming in when they said. They are having management problems, the players are all PO'ed, and I would think the travel was brutal. I wonder what the attendance was yesterday at Gila arena. I bet pretty miserable, but there is no box score that I can find. I don't think anyone in the WCHA or the NCHC or anyone else, wants to spend all the money going out there without them covering the cost.
                        End rant.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          The one thing he said that I remember is something about the Nachos have the best trophies in college hockey.
                          Well to be fair, as a whole, they are probably right because the Broadmoor sucks...
                          MacNaughton Cup > Penrose Cup but
                          NCHC Frozen Faceoff Championship trophy (terrible name) > Broadmoor Trophy

Comment

Sorry, I don't know if you noticed, but Wisconsin has 36 players committed to come in for Next year. Talk about stockpiling players. Or lying to them.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              Sorry, I don't know if you noticed, but Wisconsin has 36 players committed to come in for Next year. Talk about stockpiling players. Or lying to them.
                              Careful...they have 19 after the commit today...2 more than MTU.
                              Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-29-2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Careful...they have 19 after the commit today...2 less than MTU.
                                that's what I get for reading their thread and not checking. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X