This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2016 and Beyond

He's under 6 feet, so we're not interested. We've also never had a recruit from the Central league.

Given the usual model, I assume he and Makar will be the backbone for U.Mass.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-27-2016, 05:29 PM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      FYI - ‏@THNRyanKennedy
      Cameron Crotty (2017 draft) has decommitted from St. Lawrence due to coach Greg Carvel leaving. Tons of schools now pursuing the D-man

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=299556
      Thanks Bob, I saw that as well. Crotty turns 17 next week and he's listed at 6'1", 171 lbs. He would fit nicely into this model:

"The last time UNH qualified for the NCAA Hockey Tournament, the team featured one of the biggest and most skilled defensive corps in the program's history - Connor Hardowa (6'1" 210 lbs. Team Captain), Trevor van Riemsdyk (6'2", 185 lbs. All-American), Eric Knodel (6'6", 225 lbs. Maple Leafs draft pick), Brett Pesce (6'3", 175 lbs. Hurricanes draft pick), Justin Agosta (6'3", 200 lbs.) and Brett Kostolansky (5'10", 180 lbs.). That 2012-13 team had the second highest scoring defense in Hockey East and the second fewest goals allowed. In early December, 2012 they were ranked #1 in Division I hockey. Those Wildcats defeated Denver 5-2 in the opening round of the NCAA's and lost to UMass Lowell 2-0 in the "Elite Eight" round."
      From http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...nh-commit.html

However, given that former SLU Coaches Carval and DeMichiel are now at UMass, they should have the inside track on signing Crotty.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Aw man, I'm not QUITE of the age to qualify as a grumpy old man, but I'm VERY close. Thus, I don't think I qualify to open it! 😝

That, and my participation rate has diminished substantially as I spend most of my time these days ducking Zika mosquitos, and trying to operate in an economy that is on life support. (and with a government that is the definition of self-serving corruption!!)
        Sounds like you're up to your arse in alligators so Ref is going to have to step up and start the new thread!
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

OMG! Chuck was Johnny on the spot and beat you to it Ref!
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            OMG! Chuck was Johnny on the spot and beat you to it Ref!
            Rats! I had the perfect thread title "Roses are red violets are blue we love the Wildcats how 'bout you" hahaha !!! Welp lets go see what Chuck is up to...
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I was gonna substitute the word "groping" for "searching", but thought that might be a tiny step over the line.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                Thanks Bob, I saw that as well. Crotty turns 17 next week and he's listed at 6'1", 171 lbs...
                Crotty is very often listed at just 5-10, not that it matters at all - he is a player UNH should be all over. The defining characteristic with the D group you mention was skill. None of those guys were very physical, they had good feet, good sticks and made good passes. To me that group reinforces Watchers "if you have the skill you don't need to defend as often" argument. They need guys like Crotty at 5-10 or 6-1....
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  UNH under Souza - to date - is either admitting defeat and chasing second rate kids, unable to properly evaluate properly or proving its inability to be competitive for top kids and settling for second rate kids. One scenario may make some feel better but they're all garbage in reality...
                  In light of what several scouts have said about Corson Green (see http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...nh-commit.html), including "Major Pro upside." Matt Grainda and "He's a big time pro prospect." Jeff Cox, do you think Coach Souza and Stewart settled for a "second rate kid"?

Would you characterize Angus Crookshank as another "second rate kid"?

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    FYI - ‏@THNRyanKennedy
                    Cameron Crotty (2017 draft) has decommitted from St. Lawrence due to coach Greg Carvel leaving. Tons of schools now pursuing the D-man

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=299556
                    Bob - I've noticed that entering a prospects name into google often leads to links to eliteprospects.com and Hockeydb.com. I've also found that the height and weight information on these sites is sometimes out of date. That's why I always go to the website of the team the prospect is currently playing for to get more accurate information. This turned out to be the case for Cameron Crotty. The Brockville Braves website lists him as 6'1", 171 lbs. http://cjhl-brockville.stats.pointst...seasonid=15356

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                      Bob - I've noticed that entering a prospects name into google often leads to links to eliteprospects.com and Hockeydb.com. I've also found that the height and weight information on these sites is sometimes out of date. That's why I always go to the website of the team the prospect is currently playing for to get more accurate information. This turned out to be the case for Cameron Crotty. The Brockville Braves website lists him as 6'1", 171 lbs. http://cjhl-brockville.stats.pointst...seasonid=15356
                      Thanks for the tip. I was surprised when Watcher said UNH has never had a recruit from the CCHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                        Thanks for the tip. I was surprised when Watcher said UNH has never had a recruit from the CCHL.
                        Watcher has been known to make sarcastic comments from time to time😉

Comment

Got it, thanks.

Comment

In light of what several scouts have said about Corson Green (see http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...nh-commit.html), including "Major Pro upside." Matt Grainda and "He's a big time pro prospect." Jeff Cox, do you think Coach Souza and Stewart settled for a "second rate kid"?

Would you characterize Angus Crookshank as another "second rate kid"?
                            Crookshank is a nice pick up and a step in the right direction - but a lot more prospects as good, or better, need to commit to UNH and Souza before I back off my current opinions. Guys like Crookshank used to pack UNH recruiting classes. If that happens, I will happily admit to unfairly jumping to conclusions - not afraid to admit when I'm wrong or when connections of mine prove incorrect, mistaken or misunderstood.

As far as Green, no I'm still not thrilled with the pick up. If you re-read my complaints about Green and Bahn you'll note that my biggest issue with those commitments is the timing. The problem is, your report on Green paints the absolute ceiling of his potential. What you did not mention in your post above is how scouting opinions on Green are often accompanied by phrases like "raw", "incredibly raw", "upside", "intriguing", "potential", "if", etc.

He's 6-3, 200+ at age 16 - so obviously, if he puts it all together he's a pro-prospect but that is not even close to a guarantee at this point for Green. UNH had PLENTY of time to wait and see if he actually did put it together (against higher competition*) with very little risk of losing him to other schools. It is my OPINION that Souza should jump on the sure things and follow the projects with upside. Not vice versa...

I remember a few big and 'skilled' pro-prospects, filled with potential named John Doherty, Eddie Caron and Dan Travis. They all busted at UNH. Why? Because they were all touted based on size, potential and production against inferior competition. The EHL* is absolutely awful - Green better look like a future pro in that league. Until he reaches the USHL and produces at a high level or starts to actually realize some of his great 'potential' my opinion remains the same, regardless of what a few scouts project that he COULD be...
                            Last edited by Dan; 04-28-2016, 04:09 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

CHC,

I understand why the quotes on Green are exciting, but Watcher is right that much of the same things were said about Chanter. You expect Green to make a much bigger impact, but would you have pegged Chanter to play only a handful of games in his first two seasons at UNH when you first heard the following quotes? I wouldn't have (and I don't think he should have...). And Chanter was a big get, already playing in the BCHL at 16, with more than a few NCAA offers...

* http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...er-brings.html
                              - Central Scouting Service #164, "Shutdown defenceman … smart … quick to react in his own end … strong skater … moves the puck well … keeps things simple in defensive zone … can separate puck carrier from the puck."
                              - "A physical specimen who plays with overpowering aggressiveness. Will be a draft pick."

Additionally...

* http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/l_en/...htm?dpid=94035

* http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...efenseman.html

* http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/sports/140226313.html
                              - “UNH is getting an elite young prospect with tremendous upside."

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                              It is my humble opinion that most do not have any real inside knowledge about any players that you cannot get off the internet.
                              BTW, I sent you my email address - I can tell from CHC's last post that he is also still curious about where I get my opinions. Would love for you guys to reach out so I can share!
                              Last edited by Dan; 04-28-2016, 04:24 AM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Guilty as charged, but this one is true. For whatever reason, no central junior player has ever played for UNH.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X